TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Yeah, I live in South Bay, but on the news it showed a lot of Vallejo suffering from the fire, I don't think Six Flags is as much in danger as the homes not too far away from the Ferry. Seeing the bridge surrounded by flames is insane. The smell of smoke in the south bay is incredible, my heart goes out to everyone affected.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TRIP REPORT 7/3/20   We arrived at the parking lot around 9:40am. There were no cars in front of us or behind us. We noticed a few people walking the path toward the park. We parked and took the

Posted Images

It's been a while since I got to SFDK, so I'm going to definitely be making a trip for the holiday event. I'm glad the parking lot is finally completed, it's been a nightmare parking there this past summer.

^They built shade structures with solar panels on top. So, now a large percentage (more than half?) of the lot offers shaded parking, and the park gets solar power to boot. It was a pain during construction, as they directed everyone to the fairgrounds parking lot. The construction is done, so their regular parking lot is back in effect. But, yeah, it's still a long walk from the parking lot to the main gates.

• 4 weeks later...
Has any construction started for Sierra Sidewinder? Has anyone figured out where in the park the ride is going?

I didn't see any construction when I visited on December 20 but we also didn't get to go to the back of the park which is where I'm guessing it's going to be.

Here are a couple pictures of the parking lot in question. IMG_5782.thumb.jpeg.d0bf621a9e13422b43a977750ecba22d.jpegIMG_5785.thumb.jpeg.6e45d1af2849cfb46c91928e1fca8173.jpegIt was really weird seeing the parking lot all decked out with solar panels. I think it's really neat and should be awesome to shade the cars in warmer weather, but shade wasn't necessary on the cold day we visited.

Has any construction started for Sierra Sidewinder? Has anyone figured out where in the park the ride is going?

I went a couple of weeks ago for Holiday in the Park. It's going in where the elephants used to be.

79925205_10221472605263050_4659711827335184384_n.jpg.bd5a566fffd8c1f25cf5fa6e0e81da0c.jpg

80844611_10221472605543057_265257613992656896_n.thumb.jpg.b19fbf8a339184d7cbd807c19e59ca80.jpg

• 2 months later...

Below are some construction shots from Sidewinder Safari shot last weekend. I couldn't see any vertical construction yet, but these models can go up quite quickly.

740045496_SidewinderSafariSign.thumb.JPG.c43150aca44d08bf6d5812e2ec773e3a.JPG

1041003877_SidewinderSafariConstruction1.thumb.JPG.527b973e41f4f586fb7864303d668321.JPG

650465378_SidewinderSafariConstruction2.thumb.JPG.b746f54a38a70f17105fa3c77c5fd2d3.JPG

Also when did the Pacific Rim 5D attraction close? Didn't that just open a few years ago? The pathway leading up to it was blocked off and I can't see the ride on the website.

397486732_PacificRim5D.thumb.JPG.71dd2141d5b16d0de04e77faf5a12950.JPG

I also couldn't help but laugh that the out-of-service sign on Joker's second train was literally placed over his face like a sleeping mask.

IMG_4090.thumb.JPG.fc0a98afe26561a3137937e72d40ce72.JPG

I know RMC elements often have weird names, but I have to ask, does anyone know why that double down is named the Asian Camelback?

Asian Camels have a double hump so they named it after the camel

• 3 weeks later...

I would not be surprised if Sidewinder Safari gets pushed back.

We know Jersey Devil is still happening this year due to rapid construction progress. CraZanity at Six Flags Mexico also briefly opened just before the park closed. Everything else is up in the air, potentially including Aquaman at Six Flags Over Texas. I predict that the larger additions (like Jersey Devil and Aquaman) will still happen, but all the small flat rides and water park additions will get pushed back, in addition to Sidewinder Safari. I am very interested to see how all of this plays out...

Sidewinder Safari page has been taken down from SFDK website and the link leads to a page that says access denied.

https://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/newfor2020

Six Flags also said today they are cutting 40 to 50 million of discretionary spending. Is Sidewinder Safari getting pushed to 2021?

I think this is going to be the first of many capital projects throughout the industry delayed or canceled.

Six Flags also said today they are cutting 40 to 50 million of discretionary spending. Is Sidewinder Safari getting pushed to 2021?

Cool. Only $49,999,992 more to cut throughout the chain.

Well I hope if they do reignite this project at some point that they give it a new name. Sidewinder Safari is a terrible name IMO and doesn't sound like a roller coaster at all.

Seriously though, aren’t the ride pieces already on site? What does it cost to assemble a portable wild mouse—a thousand bucks? Lol

Seriously though, aren’t the ride pieces already on site? What does it cost to assemble a portable wild mouse—a thousand bucks? Lol

Its possible its still a go, but it looks unlikely at this point. I think its more of they want something to market next year when they actually have a season. And supposedly this ride was supposed to have an indoor queue with live snakes around you and under you in the floor, which all sounds very expensive if true.

My home park Frontier City which did not have a big capitol project. That money was used to renovate, remodel and update infrastructure through out the park. I went on a off season tour every square inch was pretty much getting a makeover in the park. Also OKC has Hurricane Harbor and was getting a Racer slide Wahoo Racer. That construction was going vertical and the slide parts were sitting in the middle of the parking lot. The area of construction is massive so I think they will complete the project. They still have the ride on the water parks website.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've surfed these boards, but I wonder if the park will go ahead with the project once they have a clearer picture about what their season is going to look like. SFDK has the benefit of being a year-round operated park so I wonder if we could see a non-standard ride opening (e.g. in winter or early spring) to help encourage people to start coming back to the park? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but at this point, anything is possible.

Also, if any of you are interested in the animals, Captain Lee has been posting some really neat live videos on Facebook. I've seen some with the baby lions and the other day, he shared one from Alligator Isle with them feeding the gators and a GIANT snapping turtle. I always make a point to look at the gators but I don't think I've ever seen that turtle before. It's definitely been cool seeing some of the different views of the enclosures that you don't get as a regular guest.