TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What was your favorite new ride of 2015?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I've only been on Fury, Thunderbird, and Rougarou. Of those three, both Fury and Thunderbird landed in my top 15, with the mind-blowing awesomeness that was Fury shooting straight to #1!

I am still hopeful that I will be riding Impulse later this year, while attending PPP! While I am certain it won't top Fury, and doubtful that it'll top Thunderbird, it has a solid chance to best Rougarou (which, I did still think was a massive improvement over Mantis!)

I've ridden very few new for 2015 rides but I'm just gonna post my thoughts on how things turned out from the looks of it because I don't wanna feel left out . I'll do a Top 5, not necessarily in order; If I were to rank them, I'd have 1. Fury 325 2. Wicked Cyclone 3. Thunderbird 4. Twisted Colossus 5. Cannibal

Fury 325 couldn't be any more of a success IMO. B&M really knocked it out of the park with this one, and it looks like they took the minor problems with Leviathan and fixed them. Not only that, but they also maxed out the stat category as well, with a very tall, fast, and long ride. From what I've seen, for a B&M this thing HAULS, it looks ridiculous watching offrides. The only pacing issue is the enormous helix, which feels too large and kills much of the speed, but I saw that coming from day one. Rob Decker said the main goal of this ride was to maintain speed as much as possible to account for the elements being stretched out more for an intense, fun, yet re-rideable experience and they achieved that with flying colors. The marketing campaign was fantastic too, as among the GP this is one of the most talked-about rides. I feel that this is B&M's Millennium Force, a timeless design that will be a favorite among riders for years to come.

Thunderbird was also a huge success for Holiday World. They wanted to step into the world of major themeparks, but it seems by accident they took more of a leap. They had been planning a steel coaster since the mid 2000's but waited until they could get what was "right" and that paid off. The launch is fantastic, the ride is a little more forceful than most B&M's, the interaction with the scenery is great, the theming is nice, and it actually takes advantage of the winged seating with a few interesting banking transitions.

Wicked Cyclone is an interesting one. I think the ride turned out different than I expected, but that's not a bad thing. I expected it to haul throughout the entire course, but it doesn't; the last 2 barrel rolls provide some great hangtime, which varies the experience in a good way. It actually flies through the course relative to its low height. The banking transitions are truly "wicked", and the fact that it's in its own structure most of the time makes this perhaps the best RMC yet. Not to mention the great theming

Twisted Colossus was a surprise. Everyone was bashing about how uncreative the layout was, then once people started to get on people shut up lol . The airtime brings thigh-bruising goodness to California, which has long needed an airtime machine. The steampunk theming is really cool, and there are some moments that look too insane to belong on a coaster, namely the double down on the green side!

Cannibal has to be one of the most creative designs I've ever seen. Though I haven't been on it and probably won't get to for a long time, the drop looks mental and the transitions look fast yet fluid. The Lagoon Roll looks crazy, and the general atmosphere of the ride is great. I'm sure the elevator lift is very unnerving! The fact that this was all in house makes it even more impressive.

Now that I've answered the question, I have a question for you guys! In addition to your post about the best 2015 coasters, post which manufacture you think won 2015! I personally think it's tied between B&M, who for the first time in a while went out of their comfort zone to deliver world class experiences, and RMC which raised the bar high by delivering insane layouts littered with more airtime than you could ask for!

I've ridden very few new for 2015 rides but I'm just gonna post my thoughts on how things turned out from the looks of it because I don't wanna feel left out . I'll do a Top 5, not necessarily in order; If I were to rank them, I'd have 1. Fury 325 2. Wicked Cyclone 3. Thunderbird 4. Twisted Colossus 5. Cannibal

Fury 325 couldn't be any more of a success IMO. B&M really knocked it out of the park with this one, and it looks like they took the minor problems with Leviathan and fixed them. Not only that, but they also maxed out the stat category as well, with a very tall, fast, and long ride. From what I've seen, for a B&M this thing HAULS, it looks ridiculous watching offrides. The only pacing issue is the enormous helix, which feels too large and kills much of the speed, but I saw that coming from day one. Rob Decker said the main goal of this ride was to maintain speed as much as possible to account for the elements being stretched out more for an intense, fun, yet re-rideable experience and they achieved that with flying colors. The marketing campaign was fantastic too, as among the GP this is one of the most talked-about rides. I feel that this is B&M's Millennium Force, a timeless design that will be a favorite among riders for years to come.

Thunderbird was also a huge success for Holiday World. They wanted to step into the world of major themeparks, but it seems by accident they took more of a leap. They had been planning a steel coaster since the mid 2000's but waited until they could get what was "right" and that paid off. The launch is fantastic, the ride is a little more forceful than most B&M's, the interaction with the scenery is great, the theming is nice, and it actually takes advantage of the winged seating with a few interesting banking transitions.

Wicked Cyclone is an interesting one. I think the ride turned out different than I expected, but that's not a bad thing. I expected it to haul throughout the entire course, but it doesn't; the last 2 barrel rolls provide some great hangtime, which varies the experience in a good way. It actually flies through the course relative to its low height. The banking transitions are truly "wicked", and the fact that it's in its own structure most of the time makes this perhaps the best RMC yet. Not to mention the great theming

Twisted Colossus was a surprise. Everyone was bashing about how uncreative the layout was, then once people started to get on people shut up lol . The airtime brings thigh-bruising goodness to California, which has long needed an airtime machine. The steampunk theming is really cool, and there are some moments that look too insane to belong on a coaster, namely the double down on the green side!

Cannibal has to be one of the most creative designs I've ever seen. Though I haven't been on it and probably won't get to for a long time, the drop looks mental and the transitions look fast yet fluid. The Lagoon Roll looks crazy, and the general atmosphere of the ride is great. I'm sure the elevator lift is very unnerving! The fact that this was all in house makes it even more impressive.

Now that I've answered the question, I have a question for you guys! In addition to your post about the best 2015 coasters, post which manufacture you think won 2015! I personally think it's tied between B&M, who for the first time in a while went out of their comfort zone to deliver world class experiences, and RMC which raised the bar high by delivering insane layouts littered with more airtime than you could ask for!

Nice write-up! I've only ridden two of those, but you summed up my thoughts as well!

^Next year is looking pretty amazing already! I have a feeling Lightning Rod might unseat Fury to be my new #1, and we'll have two other RMC's just here in the States! Valravn and Mako look to be very enjoyable B&Ms, and a lot of those smaller coasters popping up at smaller parks look pretty fun as well. And SF hasn't even announced yet! But this thread is about celebrating 2015, so I digress...

Of the "new for 2015" rides I've ridden so far this year, I'll rank them as follows:

1. Twisted Colossus

2. Fuji Airways

3. Dare Devil Chaos (Non) Coaster

Once I ride the Voyage to the Iron Reef at WCB, I'm guessing it will be between Fuji Airways and Dare Devil Chaos (Non) Coaster.

I've only been on three 'new' attractions/rides this year, so it's kind of a 'winning by default' situation. I've been on Baron 1898 in Efteling, I'm a Celebrity Maze in Thorpe Park and the rejuvenated Whale Adventures splash battle at Europa Park. Baron 1898 was excellent with some wonderful theming, story experience, preshows, and on-ride effects, and was an exciting layout considering its short stature. Whale Adventures was fun, and I'm a Celebrity maze should sit in the 'naughty corner' and think about what it's done!

Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus look the most fun out of the (many) 2015 rides I have not experienced.

Edited by Heth

Once I ride the Voyage to the Iron Reef at WCB, I'm guessing it will be between Fuji Airways and Dare Devil Chaos (Non) Coaster.

You'd be wrong. It's pretty horrible, and I went in hoping for the best.

Can't wait to explore this topic in another month or two, but for now it's Cannibal. Really smooth and very impressed that this ride was done in-house.

Next up will be Iron Reef, Twisted Colossus at WCB and, hopefully, Batman and Switchback in October (although I'll be looking more towards Iron Rattler)!

1) Wicked Cyclone - Is this year's Skyrush for me! With better restraints. I hope the new Roar/Joker is just as insane.

2) Cannibal - Absolutely mind blowing! I wish it was closer to me.

3) Twisted Colossus - Perhaps the weakest of the RMC conversions I've been on, but the best coaster on the west coast, and still one of my favorites in the country. When it manages to actually race, it's glorious.

I only got to hit up Fury, Tempesto, and Rougarou this year. Fury was just breath-taking; the first drop just seemed to go on forever. Tempesto was good: I''ve never ridden any of the clones, so I enjoyed this a lot. Rougarou was great! It was smooth and pretty forceful.

I'm heading up to Knoebels this weekend, so I'll get to try out Impulse while I'm up there.

The only new rides I got on this year were Wicked Cyclone and Rougarou. Of the two, I prefered Wicked Cyclone hands down. It immediately became one of my favorite coasters and sits just behind El Toro on my personal list. All of the drops provide powerful ejector air-time and it includes a lot of unique elements such as the outward banked drop and the zero-G stall.

Rougarou was really fun and a surprisingly forceful floorless, but it's not in Wicked Cyclone's class.

Mechanica at Liseberg. Okay, so it was the only "new for 2015" ride I have ridden this year so there wasn't really much competition. Still I loved the ride, I was laughing hysterically throughout the entire ride trying to figure out what the hell was going on!

It also looks fantastic!

Mechanica.thumb.jpg.3b012068e1c235a1a696643014b47f75.jpg

Got the chance to ride 3 new for 2015 coasters this summer.

1. Fury 325, it's just in a class of it's own. Seriously a phenomenal ride in every respect. It's very well rounded and does pretty much everything you could want on a coaster.

2. Impulse, I like it more than Fahrenheit, butter smooth, and I still cannot believe how quiet it is. I could hear the polyurethane on the wheels sticking and peeling up from the track. If you were having a conversation at a normal level on that ride, people in the queue line would hear you.

3. Laff Trakk, all around a very fun ride. First spinning coaster for me so I don't have much to compare it to. I'd be willing to wait about 20 minutes for it, while the line currently sits around 45-60 minutes the last few times I've been.

Out of the new rides, the only ones I've been on so far this year have been Wicked Cyclone, Impulse, and, uh... el Diablo.

I literally cannot say enough good things about Wicked Cyclone that haven't already been said. It had me cracking up like a madman the entire duration, and grinning from ear to ear as I got off my first ride-through and rushed back into line. It didn't disappoint a single bit any of the four times I rode it, and I am seriously hoping my kid grows six inches by next summer so he can experience it for himself!

Impulse was pretty fun for what it was, but what it was IMO was just way too short of a ride. I'd really love to see Knoebels end up with a steel coaster ride that lasts for more than a minute at some point.

El Diablo... yeah. It's a loop.

Still have Hersheypark planned for my son's birthday next weekend, so I'll be adding Laff Trakk to this list, but I doubt it'll top Wicked Cyclone for sheer fun.