TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Knott's has always been appealing to both demographics. From 1998-2004 the park saw an aggressive shift toward thrill rides (almost entirely ignoring the important family market) and I honestly think if the thrill park strategy was actually working for the park they would have continued. While I agree it is definitely time for a new thrill ride, Knott's has historically been a family oriented park. We will continue to see thrill rides added from time to time but thrill rides aren't the primary focus for this park.

Yeah....no

I'm not even sure what else to say. How dare KBF do what is in the best interests of their business and not build a 2 mile long hyper coaster that connects KBF to Soak City and back!

Amen! If you don't have kids or nieces and nephews who ride these family rides, you don't appreciate these kinds of additions. IMO, Knott's is one of the best balanced parks around and I absolutely loved my visit in 2011 after not going for 16 years. I can't wait until my next visit.

...I sincerely think if this is all they do and ignore the thrill seekers it will go down. Things have to change with any business/industry to attract current and new customers. If they added a thrill and still did the family thing they will continue getting their family clientele while adding the thrill seeker clientele.

Dude, they're not trying to be a Six Flags park. They're located two miles from Disneyland, as well as being directly in the middle of suburban LA county. 90% of their clientele is families which is why they're going to continue to focus on the family-oriented rides and experience rather than attempt to lure in a demographic that, Six Flags has proven time and again, is less desirable.

Think about it. You go to a park where there's a ton of families walking around having a good time and there's an overall cheer about the park. It gets an aura of happiness because everyone is more or less having a great time. Now compare that to walking around Magic Mountain where the majority of the guests are unsupervised teenagers. They're loud, obnoxious, annoying, jump lines, etc. It makes your day MUCH different.

Knott's is knocking it out of the park by keeping up with the family and traditional themes. People who go to Disneyland will also love to visit a different park that's less than half the price while they're in that area. It's business 101. Don't tick off your cash flow.

Every single time I pass by the park, I can't help wonder when Soak City will get the love it deserves. All the slides have faded paint. It's been 10 years since they have added something new, which Pacific Spin has been the park's only new addition since the park opened in 2000. I say it's time for some much needed attention to the current slides or some new additions. I would honestly be fine if Knott's had no new additions for the next year or two other then continuing minor improvements around the park, and place more attention toward the water park for a year.

^I wouldn't be too sure about that. Even Hurricane Harbor and Raging Waters went years without additions. Seems more like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," as all the water parks in so cal seem to do well without constant additions.

I visit Knott's once or twice every year since I really like the atmosphere of it. Though, I will admit, if they added 1 or 2 more thrilling rides like a hyper coaster and/or a retracked Ghost Rider then I'd probably get a season pass. I've been on all the rides so many times now that the only "must-ride" ride for me when I go is Xcelerator, and it'd be nice if there were a couple more thrilling rides.

That's just me though and right now, they're going the family route which is probably the smarter move. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another high thrill attraction for 5+ years since what they've been doing recently with bringing back the charm of Knott's seems to be working pretty well. Despite them adding only family attractions and fixing up old rides for the last decade, the park is still really well-rounded in my opinion.

Think he means FunTV, not "FunTime TV." It's similar to what Six Flags has, but going to be MUCH better as in it won't run ads every 5 minutes and it'll actually tell you useful information, like the weather and from what I heard, also the potential to add wait times. If they manage to add the wait time to the FunTV system, it'll be much better than any queue TV system at amusement parks right now. The TVs are not exclusive to queue lines either, they're being installed at various locations around the parks too.

Been hearing very good things coming from Carowinds, Kings Dominion, and Kings Island. It has quite a lot of potential that I'm pretty sure will be expanded in the coming seasons. I can imagine a lot of new POVs and b-roll footage of rides and coasters will be filmed around the chain this year.

I saw the screens at Carowinds a few weeks ago. They're not annoying like Six Flags.

From what I remember, they had weather, ride trivia, park trivia, music videos, and a few ads. They were very pleasant and definitely help pass the time.

I saw the screens at Carowinds a few weeks ago. They're not annoying like Six Flags.

From what I remember, they had weather, ride trivia, park trivia, music videos, and a few ads. They were very pleasant and definitely help pass the time.

They have them installed already up at California's Great America and when they're playing the trivia and weather info it's very pleasant, as I saw on one ride, but when I walked to another ride where they presumably didnt have the info programmed in, they were just looping loud pop music much like Six Flags does. I understand the pop music is popular I just wish it werent so loud all the time..sometimes its hard to talk to the person next to you.

The trivia they had running was pretty fun, it was related to rides in the park and multiple choice and every few seconds you would get another hint and a few less points. A lot of people in line seemed to enjoy playing it while waiting for their turn to ride.

One thing that Six Flags has been doing recently that I do like is running Looney Tunes cartoons on their queue televisions. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing CGA or KBF run Peanuts cartoons on FunTV.

Wow. I never realized how many things some people complained about.

While I agree that this is ridiculous, the fact that the person who was complaining about the inconvenience of sitting on a seatbelt buckle is commenting on people that are complaining about paint choices is making my brain hurt.