TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I didn't realize KBF owned so much land. It is nice to see the possibilities the park could have for expansion. I know they could do anything the want in the existing developed area (a la Grona Lund), but to have actual unused space makes expansions more appealing.

Knott's has more space and potential for growth (acreage wise) than both Disney and Universal. The sad thing is, I don't think Cedar Fair is willing to make the huge investments needed to capitalize. Look at the old Master Plan that the Knott's family pitched sometime in 90s prior to selling the park. It involved 2 parking structures, 2 new hotels, moving the Marketplace across the street (essentially turning it into a shopping district). Getting rid of Grand Ave for theme park growth (which they should still do) and condensing the backstage area to the south west parking lot all while increasing the park's footprint by close to 25 acres. It was clear they had a vision for the property.

Knott's is seriously undervalued and it's potential is being wasted in my opinion.

knotts-overall-3-1_1.thumb.jpg.a3b7cda7da3715e63a66f46814bda3cd.jpg

Knott's could potentially be a huge mega-attraction park smack dab in the middle of Orange County if Cedar Fair wanted to invest and do it right. Employee parking structures and maintenance buildings could be placed on the West side of Western, with a bridge or tunnel across Western allowing access without restrictions (personally I think employees having to cross Western via crosswalk is absurdly outdated). Parking structures for guests East of Beach and South of La Palma, with again, bridge or tunnel access across Beach for guests to get to the park. Grand Avenue is a GREAT feature in my opinion. Use that for park entrance access, parking for VIP and Valet services around Ghostrider, and a dramatic view of the entrance to the park. Meanwhile dump the old hotel, make a new one more South closer to Crescent. With the maintenance and storage all gone, there would be plenty of room for expansion South of the current park, between Grand and Western, just north of the new hotel. All this would get rid of outdated offices and maintenance, while opening up available valuable space for the park to expand.

This is never going to happen.

what if it's a dive wing coaster?

You mean inverted strata aqua trax?

No I think they meant inverted flying infinity intamin prefab woodie

With Spinning Stand-Up 4D trains.

I don't get the excitment over aquatrax. Looks boring. It's not a real watercoaster so what's the big deal? So it has a couple of launches. Whoopie.

[/end]

^^^^What's that picture supposed to be of?

New Knotts entrance. I'm still working on it. but the current entrance is way too small for todays crowds.

I don't get the excitment over aquatrax. Looks boring. It's not a real watercoaster so what's the big deal? So it has a couple of launches. Whoopie.

[/end]

New Knotts entrance. I'm still working on it. but the current entrance is way too small for todays crowds.

Do you really want Cedar Fair to build Knotts a new entrance? A big concrete wasteland

[/end]

Do you really want Cedar Fair to build Knotts a new entrance? A big concrete wasteland

I don't think Cedar Fair is building any more entrances. They've really fixed the only ones that need fixing. Knott's entrance is beautiful, in my opinion. I don't think it needs any fixing.

Could hint at a possible dive coaster at Knott's

A dive coaster would make absolutely no sense in the context of their Q1 conference call yesterday. I feel like we can rule out an existing B&M coaster type at this point. I went into a little bit of detail on that here. If you disagree, let me know why but make sure it jives with Matt Ouimet's prepared statement...

As we look to build on Cedar Fair's history we'll adding to our collection of world class coasters including a completely new type of coaster, a dramatic transformation of two of our historical wooden coasters and a renewed relationship with a manufacturer who we have worked with recent history that will add another coaster and deepen our pool of ride manufacturers.

I initially thought B&M, but it makes no sense. That name could be for anything.

I think it could be Mack or Intiman. Although Mack have been making some insane rides. Just have a look at the Hyper they are building at Movie World (Australia).

I know they said new type of coaster. But has anyone thought that maybe CF mean a new type of coaster that they do not have. IE a B&M Flyer?

But CF has never stoped working with Premier, or Mack, or Chance, or Vekoma? But has had a sour relationship with Intamin so it makes the most sense that they're referring to intamin when saying a renewed relationship with a manufacturer who we have worked with recent history.

With that being said Knotts is also in need or maybe interested in replacing their old intamin observation tower Intamin still produce observation towers so why not grab a coaster and a new tower at the same time

I'd love to see a Skyrush type hyper with its first drop wrapping around a new tower

If you listen to the call, instead of reading the transcript, it sounds much more like "haven't worked with" as in... "it's been a while, and they have something new now."

And that's what I'm hearing as well. They have worked with Mack several times in last few years but the last Intamin was 2010 if I remember correctly. As for the new type of coaster I think they are clearly referring to a completely new kind of coaster and not a manufacturer or something they or America doesn't yet have. That rules out stuff Europe has but the US has yet to get. As such I think it's clear it will be a Raptor or TRex because those are the only new types of coaster out there. I don't think Knott's gets one though. They know KBF doesn't need another low capacity ride. I think CGA gets it and KBF gets the Intamin whatever it is.

Could it possibly be the Mack launched spinning coaster prototype they showed off at IAAPA? Kinda makes sense considering the footprint that is being cleared right now. There haven't been any visible signs that the coaster will travel outside the room provided by boomerang and riptides old spot, so it technically could fit in there. I'm really hoping this isn't the case though with A skyrocket 2 going in just 80 miles south at Seaworld SD.....

Could it possibly be the Mack launched spinning coaster prototype they showed off at IAAPA? Kinda makes sense considering the footprint that is being cleared right now. There haven't been any visible signs that the coaster will travel outside the room provided by boomerang and riptides old spot, so it technically could fit in there. I'm really hoping this isn't the case though with A skyrocket 2 going in just 80 miles south at Seaworld SD.....

Knott's already has a Mack spinning coaster, so I highly doubt that they get another one. As far as Mack coasters go, I'd love to see a Blue Fire clone as Boomerang's replacement. I'm not sure if that would fit in the footprint, but it would be a great addition to the park and the first of its kind in North America.