TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stupid Moves that Parks have made

SFGAm adding to wild mouses right next to each other. I know some parks do this for capacity reasons but that's not the case here. Also having TDK and Skull Mountain next to each other at SFGAv has always been a curious move to me. And of course Leviathan at CW and basically alot of the moves SF is making right now. Why move a crappy standup to another park. I hope SFAm puts new trains on Iron Wolf and gives it a good theme. Why move a GIB to a park that ALREADY HAS A BOOMERANG. And why move Pandemonium to another park (I think this is still a rumor but it's 3 YEARS OLD)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Flags America adding five new roller coasters in four years (four of them being massive) was incredibly stupid, IMO. It kind of goes with what Larry said.

The Mistake Was thinking The Dark Knight Film wasn't going to be as Intense as thought (The Villain was a Guy who cut things and caused chaos!!!) and thereby making a coaster so mediocre and lame; That my friend who has ridden less than 50 coasters, and is the ultimate optimistic rode it and when it was done, Could not think of anything positive to say about the coaster (TRUE)

PS, He rode the "Good" one at Great America.

Also, the ride was all kinds of wrong. It failed on almost any level you could think of. And I'm willing to debate on that issue.

SFGAm adding to wild mouses right next to each other. I know some parks do this for capacity reasons but that's not the case here. Also having TDK and Skull Mountain next to each other at SFGAv has always been a curious move to me. And of course Leviathan at CW and basically alot of the moves SF is making right now. Why move a crappy standup to another park. I hope SFAm puts new trains on Iron Wolf and gives it a good theme. Why move a GIB to a park that ALREADY HAS A BOOMERANG. And why move Pandemonium to another park (I think this is still a rumor but it's 3 YEARS OLD)

It's not a crappy stand-up at all. It has a good layout and just needs new trains to smooth it out again. I'd rather keep it at SFGAm and get the new trains than lose it. Wingrider at SFGAm, not a bad move to me!

Dorney removing bumper cars for an old outdated freefall ride when they have already had a modern drop tower for over 10 years and removing a Schwarzkopf looper and it's replacement being a faulty inverted boomerang.

The Boardwalk at Hersheypark. It should have never been built where it was and should have been away from the middle of the park or a separate gate. It's way too small for the crowds the park gets and it already has caused other rides to be removed. They removed the awesome Canyon River Rapids for the wavepool and lazy river which still isn't enough. Who ever heard of a park having a line to get into a wavepool let alone a 45 minute line some days? East Coast Waterworks is a disaster, it's so crowded and the lines for the slides are very unorganized causing pushing and line cutting.

Great Adventure closing (SBNO) or removing 35 rides in just over 10 years. Less than 10 flats in such a big park is horrible.

I'm trying really hard to think of a non-Six Flags example, but I have so many swirling around in my brain that it's impossible to think of any others. Most have already been mentioned, but putting the SLC at La Ronde when they already had the Batman clone was pretty idiotic.

Cedar Fair's bumbling around with Dorney the last few years qualifies, as well.

Everyone seems to be picking on Six Flags and Cedar Fair. Maybe some of you guys have forgotten some of the moves Disney has made? Such as taking the Country Bear Jamboree out for the mediocre Winnie the Pooh ride? Not to mention any decision made by Michael Eisner.

Even the best companies make some big mistakes.

I could probably think of at least one of these for every major park, but I'm just going to list the biggest ones (in no particular order).

-Six Flags converting many of their parks into coaster parks by adding several large thrill coasters in a short time span while removing many family-friendly flats.

-Busch Gardens Williamsburg purchasing a drop tower from Moser, who doesn't typically make large towers, instead of a company that has built them before, resulting in not getting it open until two weeks before the end of the summer season.

-In a similar manner, Cedar Fair purchasing several prototype rides that all had delays.

-California's Great America removing THREE major coasters over ten years, during which they didn't even add ONE major ride.

-Six Flags purchasing a ton of parks only to close or sell many of them off five to ten years later.

-Disney opening DCA at the same price as Disneyland when it had half as many attractions, resulting in a lack of visitors and requiring a nearly complete overhaul within ten years.

-Whoever came up with Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park, and almost everything they did.

-This one is still TBD: Cedar Point removing the Paddlewheel Excursions, a free, unique family ride, and replacing it with Dinosaurs Alive, an upcharge kids attraction that is likely very similar to the Kings Island version across the state.

Unlike some people, I don't think installing duplicate/cloned rides is necessary stupid. While it may seem strange, if both rides remain popular and it helps the park improve their profits, I actually think it is a smart thing to do.

Edited by rcdude

As everyone knows already HUGE Disney fanboy here... but even they make some mistakes... like Rocket Rods.

Rocket Rods was just a bad idea on all accounts due mostly to Disney being kinda lazy and trying to use an entirely new ride technology on a track originally intended for a slow moving ride. It opened for less than 2 years and arguably has had downtime than pretty much any other major attraction.

Like every Disney fanboy has once said... "Stupid Eisner!"

Stitch's Great Escape was not a stupid move. While, as an attraction, it pales in comparison to Alien Encounter, it is truly a technological marvel. The Stitch in the show is still one of the most advanced audio-animatronics that they have ever produced. The moving cannons are a marvel to behold as well.