TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What coaster do you love that everyone else hates?

Ok, I think some of you are really missing the point of this thread. It's "What coaster do you LOVE that everyone else HATES?"

Like, coasters that have more of a following that people HATE them (as in "ugh, that's one of the worst coasters in the WORLD...bottom of the list for me!), instead of liking them.

Mean Streak, yes, people hate it. Vekoma Boomerangs, yes. Son of Beast, yes. Psyclone, Grizzly, Iron Wolf, Gouderix, Manhattan Express, etc, .... Rides like that.

Incredible Hulk, Millennium Force, Batman, and Top Thrill Dragster do NOT have a reputation for being "hated" by most people.

Please try to have an understanding of what this thread is before you post looking like a moron.

Thank you!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big One - Blackpool

X No way out - Thorpe Park

Anaconda - Walygator Park

Sequoia Adventure - Gardaland

Boomerangs

SLC's

and one coaster that people either love or hate:

Space Mountain Mission 2

Everyone I've come across seems to hate Flight of Fear, either Ohio or Virginia versions, but I really enjoyed my rides on it. Kings Island especially was a real buzz. I don't mind being thrown from side to side if there's no OTSR for my skull to be cracked on, I would hate too if they still had OTSRs.

Weird as it is, I quite like Ghostrider, for how rough it is it's still quite fun. Ditto with Wild Beast. And maybe Mighty Canadian Minebuster, though I'm not sure if that's achieved "hate" level yet.

I'm also in the mega-minority by thoroughly enjoying the Volare flying coasters.

With steel coasters, I've found that my feelings generally line up with the popular opinion. For wood coasters, however, it is a different story. Rides such as Thunder Road, Rebel Yell, Colossus, and Hurler are attractions that I actually enjoy quite a bit (I'd be willing to wait a half-hour or so for them, at least once I've done the better attractions). They may not be hated, but they are generally disliked. Even CGA's Grizzly, which is considered one of the worst wooden coasters in the world, ranks higher on my list than nearly half of the woodies I've been on.

I'll get crap for this...

I like Windjammer. (I was young when I rode them, and don't remember either of them having head banging issues. Maybe being smaller helped out.)

GUILTY.

This is not a hated ride, but many people hate standup coasters and I will say with 1000000000000000% certainty and confidence that Riddler's is BY FAR the best coaster at SFMM and maybe in California. I love it for the reasons people hate it. I like adjusting the bar... standing not that comfortable... but put it on a coaster and it's pure bliss. My friends all hate it and I still forced them to ride til we were limp in the legs.

Also I quite enjoy Colossus... its not my #1 or even in my top 10, but I find it to be pretty fun and I never found it to bee too rough... a little bumpy, but an enjoyable ride when I'm ready to take a break from inverting.

I think most people generally hated Hypersonic XLC. Most said that it smacked them in the back of the head over the top but I absolutely loved it. I thought it was a great ride and no head smacking. It is still amazing to me that someone could engineer a coaster to go from 0-80 in 1.5 seconds.

I always liked Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa, even in its last few years with the PTC trains when quite honestly it was a pretty brutal ride. People from Florida who generally don't like wooden Roller Coasters (mostly because they haven't ridden very many, and probably never ridden a good ones) tend to dislike wooden coaster because of Gwazi but I always thought it was a pretty good ride. Hopefully those Millennium Flyers have changed some peoples opinions of the thing.

I think most people generally hated Hypersonic XLC. Most said that it smacked them in the back of the head over the top but I absolutely loved it. I thought it was a great ride and no head smacking. It is still amazing to me that someone could engineer a coaster to go from 0-80 in 1.5 seconds.

Hypersonic was a great ride the first year or two it was open; unfortunately, it did not age well.

I thought Gwazi was OK, too--never experienced the horrid rides I'd heard about, but my experience with it is pretty limited.

That's an easy one for me....Rolling Thunder at Six Flags Great Adventure. It was my first wooden coaster and it will always be special to me. I also don't think the ride itself is as bad as people make it out to be. We don't ride it nearly as much as we used to, but that's more because of the horrendous dispatches since seatbelts were installed.

Also really liked GASM at Great Adventure and think it's light years better than it's replacement.

I'm probably the only person in the world who prefers Togo Stand-ups over B&M Stand-ups

I've Ridden Shockwave, King Kobra and Sky Rider and I've never had a bad ride

yet

I've been on Mantis, Vortex, Georgia Scorcher and Iron Wolf, All were uncomfortable, and put a nearly unbearable strain on my legs. Maybe Green Lantern will change my mind.

Am I the only one who feels this way???

My 3rd favorite wooden roller coaster is Hershey's Wildcat. I haven't ridden it since they replaced the old PTCs with Millennium Flyers, but I found there to be a ton of ejector air time. Plus I found the entire ride very wild and intense without being too aggressive. I know others found it to be quite rough.

Also, I am a fan of Kings Dominion's Hurler. I think I rode it the year after it got retracked so that could explain why. I found the entire ride to be very smooth.

Some of the steel coasters that I love that others hate would be Zamperla Volares and Kings Dominion's Shockwave.

By no means do I love it, but I find Volares to be tolerable. In my limited experience, I love SLC's, they never get enough credit for their very intense and compact layout. Other rides that haven't quite reached hate status that I enjoy are Minebuster and Skull Mountain. So basically, 3 out of the five most disliked coasters at CW.

Wood: GhostRider. This is my favorite coaster at Knott's and my favorite wood coaster. In fact, riding in the middle of the train, I have never had a reason to complain about this ride, with the exception of one violent jolt around the turn after the 5th drop. The back is much rougher, but I still like it better in the back.

Steel: Deja Vu. Who ever said these things were rough? If you happen to be at Magic Mountain, Viper is FAR worse than this. (And Viper actually isn't so bad to begin with) Hanging in the restraint (of which I notice nothing wrong with) while 177 feet in the air is simply an awesome experience, and, while some parts of the ride may be a bit jerky, I was thrown around more by high g forces than roughness.

Humm....for me it has to be Son of Beast. Both times I rode it was post loop so I don't know what it was like with the loop in there but when I rode it, I rode it up front and to me it was great. *Runs out of the line of fire* LOL

As far as steel coasters, I still like my Boomerangs. The first drop still gets my stomach every time.

I kinda like Georgia Cyclone, I found it to be a really fun ride with great air-time. Sure it wasn't the smoothest ride in the world, but it wasn't really bad at all.

Regarding steel coasters, although it's not really hated, just not regarded as anything special, I find WDW's Thunder Mountain a fun ride. Of course no super intense air-time machine, but still a ride that's just really fun to ride.