TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

One thing I've noticed with Funspot is that they install something and try to determine if it's the right place to go. If then it is they make it more perm. But to me, that's half the fun of the place, things are always in flux and there's always something different about the place. little tweeks here and there. To me it's the perfect spot to go, right between the two coasters.

Is this a temporary or permanent attraction? It is placed half on the pavement and half on the grass...it seems a bit out of place to be permanent.
^It's more of a family-boardwalk type of amusement park (a super nice one), so though it's not imbed in concrete the ride is a long term addition.

To add some context to this, some of Knoebels' attractions are trailer-mounted but have existed in the exact same spot for years.

I'm not a huge flat ride fan but this looks like something I'd try, looks like the right amount of fun without being crazy disorienting. Fun Spot is always a great spot to stop in and kill a few hours whenever I'm in town and it's great to see them expanding.

• 3 weeks later...
The filming of the new Air Race was a lot of fun. I never realized how different each spin on this ride could be so different. It really is affected by weight and weight distribution. I did fine for the first 4 rides and then for the fifth my partner and I switched cars and positions. All I can say is that ride #5 in a row sorta did me in. We felt as if we were on a pinwheel. Great fun but , Oh boy did I need a break!

It's a good thing it's not going to a SF park! They would make sure to balance it out so that it's as extreme as a normal swing.

This place has really grown since my last visit to Orlando. I will definitely be stopping by next time I visit, which is hopefully soon!

Also, what do you guys think of the rumor that Screamscape posted about Fun Spot getting a Chance GTX coaster?

• 4 weeks later...

Sad news, everyone:

Park News - (12/18/14) Awhile back we had heard a rumor that one of the Fun Spot parks in the Orlando area may have purchased a new Chance Hyper GTX coaster, but after giving our spies some time to track down this rumor, this lead seems to be turning up false. While Fun Spot could very well have been looking into one, our sources report that Chance has not sold another one of these coasters that will open for the 2015 season anywhere.

(Screamscape)

• 2 weeks later...

That's great! I didn't know that Skyline had any buyers for this. The concept looks like it has some wonderful potential, from what I saw at IAAPA.

Has anyone from this site tried it out? I would love to hear how it is, just because it is an interesting concept.

Has anyone from this site tried it out? I would love to hear how it is, just because it is an interesting concept.

I'm insanely competitive, so I had an absolute blast trying it out, both ways. When I rode in the seat, I really didn't care about the view at the top because I was too busy barking at my buddy to not mess up playing the game. So much fun!

Skyline opened up their first attraction at Fun Spot last week:
Park News - (12/22/14) Skyline Attraction opened their first Strike-U-Up game/attraction at Fun Spot America’s Kissimmee location late last week.

[attachment=0]2014_1221_FunSpotK_StrikeUUP.jpg[/attachment]

http://screamscape.com/html/fun_spot.htm

It's a good fit for a park like Fun Spot.

I'll be very curious to go check it out to see how the park is operating it. I think the most confusing thing about it is what it actually is. Is it a game? Is it a ride? I realize it's designed to be both, but that also creates an interesting dilemma for a park. Who operates it? Does it operate like a ride where it's included on your wristband or is it a game where you pay for it? And does the rider pay more than the player?

I may go down this week and see how it's doing.

We've experimented with both separately, and we are now running it as a combination of the two. A wristband will get you on to ride or you can pay like a game with the ability to win a prize. This isn't necessarily how all operators will do it, nor necessarily how we'll continue to do it at Fun Spot, but it seems to be working out well right now.

In all cases, it's been very popular!

^ When you pay as a game, who pays? The rider or the player? Or a combination of the two. And if there are only two people playing, do they get a prize automatically? Or do they have to wait for another team to play? And what if that other team wants to "ride" and not "pay to play?"

Sorry if it's so many questions, I'm just putting on my theme park operations hat and asking the same kind of questions I probably would have in the days when I worked in parks.

No need to apologize for asking questions. Frankly, it's helpful to see what people are asking about.

Each rider/player team pays together, so only two payments are received per game in a two-tower setup. We have a "single player" game in the case that only one team is there to play and they don't want to sit around waiting for another (like with other games). The single player game operates more like a hi-striker, in that the striker has three chances to get the rider to the top in a single strike.

As for mixes of paying customers and wrist bands, it has only happened a couple times. If the paying team wins, they get a prize, otherwise no prize is given out.