TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
I would love to see them put up the screaming swings that I believe are sitting in the back lot behind the coaster. At least that's what was supposed to be in at one time, I think, and it looks like the parts are there. That would make for a really well rounded park IMO.

I believe that's supposed to be part of a future "phase", and it would go into the space next to the Enterprise/Wheelie. In addition, I believe the park plans to put another flat in the corner near White Lightning's first drop. It almost looks as though they could put in another one next to its station as well.

• 1 month later...

I visited that park for the first time back in June after the new expansion opened. It's an acceptable little park and it's actually pretty unusual to have a conventional, mid-sized amusement park here in Florida. Of course, Freedom Flyer was good and White Lightning was breathe-taking.

Unfortunately, I foresee Fun Spot America becoming the go-to park for the lowest-common-denominator people visiting Orlando just because of its low-price tickets and free parking. I hope that doesn't happen, but the deck is stacked against the park.

^Good question! I don't know, cause height restriction wise it would be one of the European ones but we may not make it back to those till she's already 48" then it could be any of the ones here in the states!

Hoping to stretch her to 48" by this summers trips!

Unfortunately, I foresee Fun Spot America becoming the go-to park for the lowest-common-denominator people visiting Orlando just because of its low-price tickets and free parking. I hope that doesn't happen, but the deck is stacked against the park.

You're also forgetting that Orlando has a VERY big population of "locals" and this park attracts a lot of non-tourist business. They do a TON of "birthday parties" every week, and I believe most of them are local families.

No one is going to board an airplane and fly to Orlando to go to Fun Spot because it is half the price of the big themers. No one. The "lowest common denominator" types are already entering the gates of Disney/Universal/Sea World parks. Have you not seen all the scooter people at any point in the last 20 years?

Well, then that's the point of the park. For christ sakes, they operate two absurdly garish amusement parks consisting largely of barely altered bits and pieces acquired from other failed ventures in the Central Florida area and advertise with intentionally low rent commercials. If it worries you that people might emerge from their trailer parks and head towards I-Drive for a night at Fun Spot, well, too bad? Move somewhere with fewer trailer parks than Central Florida?

Have any of the nay-sayers been to Fun Spot America since it opened?

None of these supposed themes fit the atmosphere or appearance of that park. During the visits that I've made, the guest base is a mix of everyone like you'd expect from any other Orlando park and the atmosphere has always been very safe and family-friendly. I wish some Six Flags parks had as great of an atmosphere as this park has. I've seen more line-cutting, littering, and general ridiculousness at the major chains across the country than at either Fun Spot Park.

I know that the commercials are kind of cheesy sometimes but it's obvious that they do what they can with the budget that they have. It's actually pretty impressive that this family-run company can survive and grow in the already saturated Orlando market with tons of after-hours stuff to do. The fact that they just expanded this park and built a GCI wooden coaster shows that they're serious about doing as much as they can with their budget.

I know that the commercials are kind of cheesy sometimes but it's obvious that they do what they can with the budget that they have.

And also, when you are fighting for dollars in a place like Orlando, you HAVE to make yourself stand out and be memorable, even if the commercials are cheesy and annoying. I mean, when other people in the Orlando area know EXACTLY what you are referring to when someone says "IT'S HUUUUUUGE" then the park has done something right.

^ The 3 things I miss about TV in Orlando? Commercials for Appliance Direct, Family Auto Mart, and Fun Spot!

(note....if, after 5 years living away from O-Town, I still remember these commercials, know the great slogans, and - most important - know the businesses? That means these types of "down-home" commercials can and do WORK!)