TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Biggest Disappointment of 2010?

The firing of Mark Shapiro

THIS. I don't think I've ever seen the parks so clean. I've gotta admit, he is my third favorite Six Flags CEO and my "top buisnessman of 2010."

I hear he's back with the NFL. I'd love to see him take over Cedar Fair and show Six Flags what he's made of!

BTW: Where on earth is Jay Thomas?! He needs to contact TPR so we can do another, "Where on earth is..."

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.) Eurofighters in general - much more rough than I expected.

I am certainly not as experienced in riding all that many coasters. So, when I read about bad coasters here, I just did not relate. Nothing I've ridden was so bad to stand out.

This year, though, I managed my very first TPR trip (woohoo!) and Huracan at Belantis stood out in its awfulness. It was so bright, shiny, and new... I was so happy, and then, the ride started. It's like finding out Santa exists but he clubs baby seals and you're the seal.

3.) Eurofighters in general - much more rough than I expected.

This year, though, I managed my very first TPR trip (woohoo!) and Huracan at Belantis stood out in its awfulness. It was so bright, shiny, and new... I was so happy, and then, the ride started. It's like finding out Santa exists but he clubs baby seals and you're the seal.

To be fair, Huracan is kind of an anomaly. I've been on a lot of Eurofighters and that one by far was the worst. So look at it this way - they'll only get better!

For me, it's the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. That was the most over crowded and claustrophobic theme park experience I've ever had. I know Universal was up against a headstrong Rowling who had many specific and non-practical ideas about how the area should be constructed. But still, for them to build such a tiny area that they promoted so aggressively (billboards, magazines, Superbowl, Olympics, friggen airline boarding passes, etc.) represents a huge failure to plan capacity correctly and Universal deserves ALL of that blame.

I am going to add another while I am at it.

Firehawk at KI: For years I have been hearing great reviews. This summer I took my first ride. Aside from the slow loading, I found the experience to be quite uncomfortable and rough. I think Tatsu turned me into a flying coaster snob. Despite my comments on Firehawk and Diamondback, I absolutely loved Kings Island!

The biggest disappointment for me was Busch Gardens Williamsburg 2011 Announcement of a drop tower. Two things kinda made me disappointed. One was the ride itself. The tower is only 240 feet tall when less then an hour away there is one that is 60 feet taller. Just thought that the amusement industry was moving out of the drop tower fad. Second was the name. Mach Tower!!!!! Really this is Busch Gardens. The same people that came up with some of the most unique names in the industry to date and Mach Tower is the best they got. Wow. Maybe thats just me but it was really kinda disappointing to me that there was really no creativity with this ride. There maybe more that the park has not released yet and I maybe blown away when the park opens this new ride. But I guess we will have to just wait and see.

Killing an arguably great coaster and just adding a drop ride nearly 2 yrs after the fact is probably what stings about BGW decisions the most. I am glad I was able to ride BBW one last time in 2009, but I'm convinced what ever comes to replace it has to be spectacular in order to redeem themselves of the act in my eyes ( enough to make me want to drive the 5 hrs down there again just for a weekend at the park.)

I would say the biggest disappointment is with IOA's Dragon's Challenge. Others have talked about the queue. I really am disappointed the re-ride door near the exit is closed. You can still re-ride without having to walk through the main entrance, but you still have to walk 3/4 of the queue.

^^I'm not sure what the policy is with the reride door, but it was open three of the four days during my trip to IoA last week. Maybe it just depends on the day and how they feel crowds will be.

My biggest disappointments were only personal ones and those would be...

-Not getting to visit Cedar Point for the first time in the 13 years I've lived in Ohio.

-Only visiting Kings Island once despite being 20 minutes away from it all summer long.

-Not getting to Carowinds (for the first time I might add) before it closed for the season when on Co-op on Hilton Head.

-Overall lack of park visiting. SFOG once, Kings Island once, and my four day trip to Universal Studios last week...I'm hardly being a good coaster/park enthusiast.

It's not so much that Cedar Fair has 120 Windseekers coming for 2011 but announcing they are putting one at Cedar Point and at Kings Island, to me, is a big disappointment.

Going to Kings Island for the first time since 2007 and noticing how the atmosphere had drastically changed since CF took over. International Street doesn't have much atmosphere anymore.

Personal disappointment was not getting to experience The Boss and Screamin' Eagle at SFStL in the dark as I had planned though I really liked both rides.

This isn't exactly new in 2010, but it was new to me in 2010 - Disneyland Paris. I visited this park for the first time, and being a huge Disney nerd, I was disappointed. It just didn't have the same Disney magic that I've experienced at the US parks. It does have some pretty sweet rides, such as Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates, not to mention a gorgeous castle. The hotel that we stayed at on Disney property, Sequoia Lodge, also paled in comparison to any other Disney resort that I've stayed at. I certainly wouldn't rush back to visit there any time soon.

1. Springtime in the Park. So packed. I drove eleven hours each way for one of the worst trips I've ever had, and the rides were totally awesome. It was that bad.

2. Pennsylvania. People there just really seem to hate me.

3. Cedar Point in September. Yes, it was empty. Yes, nearly everything was closed.

4. Another trip to King's Island, another trip with no ride on Vortex.

It was still a good year, MA is getting new stuff that my kid will love.

Biggest Disappointments?

1.) Not getting to go on a TPR trip (again) this year.

2.) Castles and Coasters (Peoria, AZ) still having the most craptacular spread of rides in all of the Southwest- and NOTHING new coming.

3.) Maliboomer going bust.

4.) Flying all the way to Dubai the opening weekend of Formula Rossa and NOT making the trek to ride it. (I'm STILL kicking myself over that one)

5.) Not getting married AGAIN this year.

R.D.

I'm surprised that anyone on here even recognizes Castles and Coasters as a park! Although I do know Robb and Elissa did a TR of it a few years back. But yeah, I live about 40 minutes away from that "park" and yet I haven't actually visited in probably 5 years at least. I'd rather just fly over to SoCal and hit DL, Knott's, and SFMM, even though it costs much more to do so.

So I agree with you, they really need some new rides! Their "big" announcements this year were (according to their facebook page):

• Justin Bieber concert
    Discounted ride passes

Really, CnC? Really? Ugh...but then again, I keep hearing rumors of a possible second park being built somewhere in the Valley within the next few years, so fingers crossed!

This isn't exactly new in 2010, but it was new to me in 2010 - Disneyland Paris. I visited this park for the first time, and being a huge Disney nerd, I was disappointed. It just didn't have the same Disney magic that I've experienced at the US parks. It does have some pretty sweet rides, such as Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates, not to mention a gorgeous castle. The hotel that we stayed at on Disney property, Sequoia Lodge, also paled in comparison to any other Disney resort that I've stayed at. I certainly wouldn't rush back to visit there any time soon.

Totally agree! I felt like I even went in with low expectations and was still disappointed. I think it all started with the wacky way the rooms were numbered and the awesome "air conditioning". The list goes on and on . . . .

This is not the fault of any themepark but it was disappointing for me personally to not be able to ride coasters on the Europe trip. I still had a GREAT time though.

I would have to say the deaths of Will Koch and the SeaWorld trainer, as well as the girl who was severely injured at the Dells (and any other accidental fatalities and/or serious injuries in the industry) were the biggest disappointments. Let's be real, rides being removed, parks being closed, etc. are disappointing, but pale in comparison to death or life-threatening injuries.

I only went to one park this year, (Universal Studio's IOA) and wasn't disappointed at all. We even went on Memorial day and had no problem getting on the vast majority of the rides. The only thing I wish I could of seen was the new Harry Potter attraction. It's understandable though, since it did say it was opening in June. So that's are faults really. No big deal though. We're planning on going back early next year to catch the stuff we missed.

I am going with shoot the rapids at cedar point.

The ride was(still) riddled with problems. Take away the problems, and the ride is still just "meh" at best. I am not sure why they made the ride the way they did. It was wayyyy overthought for a flume ride.

While Mark Shapiro getting fired was big news after all of the positives we've seen over the past few years, I think it's a crime that Mark Kane being fired from Great Adventure was a bigger disappointment.

For those who weren't aware, he had basically made it a point to clean up GAdv after the horrible reputation it has gotten over the last few decades, and made it a good park to go to. Granted, there was still a lot more work to be done (ie more flats and other rides between the coasters and the kid rides), but a huge step up from the mid-90's.

-Windseeker....Great, its a new ride....but do they really have to clone it 80 times

-The Maurer Söhne couplers.....-Yeah I was a bit disappointed on this

-Not getting to head out to so many parks....(but grateful for the ones I got to visit)

-General lack of upkeep with some parks

-MONTU AND HULK NEED A PAINT JOB!!!!!!!!

(I have a bigger list of positives than negatives....)

Actually Montu just got a new paint job about 2-3 years ago. It is just that the original color is that sorta faded looking yellow.