TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

I did not rank it in my top 5.

I wanted to love the coaster. I rode it three or four times, trying to find a sweet spot on a sweet train. I could not. This coaster has the potential to be amazing, but it was just too rough for me. Call me old, call me fragile, whatever, I really don't care, but in my opinion, it was far too bone jarring and headache inducing to be a #1 coaster for me. I sincerely hope the timberliners help this coaster.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't we talk about this in our secret poll-fixing thread? Just chatting openly about it is dangerous, people may find out about our super-secret plan to devalue the Voyage, making Indiana suffer, which then will mean more people will turn back to farming, making corn cheaper, allowing us to finally run that ethanol-powered coaster Robb secretly built in Northern Canada. Wait Robb's here, I think I said too much. No *Gets shot in the head*

Just out of curiosity, since I've seen some writings on the interwebs of crybabies trying to imply that TPR members purposely ranked Voyage low, how many of you ranked it is #1 - or a least in your top 5?

I have a feeling it's a LOT more than some people would think....

I put El Toro as #1, Voyage as #3.

(Ravine Flyer was between the two of them)

I even put Voyage ahead of Boulder Dash and Phoenix.

Well I think you guys know that I ranked it high . It did fall to number 2 for me due to slapping me around and making me its bitc# last summer - but I'm still an avowed fan boy.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love Robb and Elissa and respect their opinions, but have always (friendly) disagreed about Voyage. Opinions are just that, opinions. As far as "rigging" a poll for TPR - why the hell would we want to rig a poll.

People are just stupid sometimes.

D

I think it's fairly obvious to everyone that the Voyage lost its spot because it got rougher. Very few people seem to be arguing about the quality of the ride in 06 and 07 and early 2008. EVERYONE seems to notice it got rougher since then, and was kind of a real bastard last year. Add some general disappointment for the delayed promise of Timberliner trains, and voila, we have clear reasons why the community rated it lower.

I'm fine with it. I have the ride as my number 1. I rode in 07. Makes sense to me, should make sense to all.

And as an aside, if the Timberliner trains don't do the job, I'm just going to bet that Voyage will get rougher and rougher until people don't like it anymore and it loses favor just like an old unmaintained CCI. Just a hunch.

Voyage is my #2, Toro #1, no doubt one of the most solid wood coasters still out there, but everyone is exactly right: it's aged a little and is a bit rough. It's still ranked in the Top 10 on Mitch's List, still pretty damn good if you ask me...

What about Grizzly moving out of the bottom spot? Why is there no OUTRAGE over this? Damn you Anaconda anti-fanboys! Damn you all to hell!

Actually, I think Anaconda is finally getting the attention it richly deserves. Grizzly is just boring; Anaconda is brutal.

^I've always felt that there are coasters out there WAY worse than Grizzly! Good to see Anaconda taking its rightful place at the bottom.

FYI, I ranked The Voyage fairly low, as the rides I got this summer were BRUTAL, and it was just painful and rough and had no redeeming qualities. And it's my ballot, and I can fill it out however I want, and I'm going to rank rides based on how good/bad I felt they were. So there.

dt

Another thing I don't get...If you look at Robb's ballot - even with his grouping method, Voyage is a 3rd tier coaster and there are MANY below it. It isn't even really in his bottom Wooden Coasters.

Yeah - people are stupid.

I found this years poll result one of the most true reflection, in relation to my woodies i've experienced.

In previous polls its appeared "fanboyism" & some "anti voting" had taken place (which i know Mitch tries to remove blatant examples).

Not saying from TPR users, in fact i think I even recall some anti TPR/T-Express voting from people who hadnt even ridden it. Sorry if i didnt get this bit 100%.

Keep up the good work here guys.

The Voyage was in my top 3. It was beaten only by Phoenix and Boulder Dash. I rode The Voyage in May 2010 and thought it was intense, insane, and amazing. I loved every minute of the two rides I got on it.

People are just morons and will find something to complain about even when nothing's wrong.

Voyage didn't make my top ten, I just liked other coasters better, and on the day I rode in 2007 it didn't seem to be running that well. I didn't ride it at night either which didn't help and is something I regret, at that time I didn't know enough about coasters to know that many are much better at night.

The rides I had on the day were devoid of airtime, the turn around was in the not-fun category of roughness, and it was trimmed before the tunnel - I did ride the coaster many times in the front and back.

In spite of that, I did rate Voyage close to the top ten - it has a great layout, and I love how it goes right out into the forest.

Some day I'd love to experience the Voyage again and see if I get it on a better day, though this will not be anytime soon, if ever.

Edited by downunder

Just out of curiosity, since I've seen some writings on the interwebs of crybabies trying to imply that TPR members purposely ranked Voyage low, how many of you ranked it is #1 - or a least in your top 5?

I have a feeling it's a LOT more than some people would think....

That's not how Mitch's poll works. (I spent 5 years maintaining the steel poll, I should know)

To give an example, consider the steel poll in 2008 or so. I could round up 5 people who had ridden Blue Flash. If I could convince 3 to vote it #1 against everything they had ridden, and 2 to vote it dead last, it would have been the #1 steel coaster on the planet, winning every comparison 3-2, despite having what would be a nearly median average rating.

It doesn't matter how many people have a ride at #1, only how it compares to the shortlist of competitors (and some top rides have gotten the random loss from some odd competitors. I think Great Bear knocked off a top-10 steel a couple of years ago). Mitch's poll has the opposite problem of the Golden Ticket Awards -- it overvalues small sample sizes.

^But who cares what the results are? It's all fun to me, and it's still a pretty accurate representation of what enthusiasts think of rides. Is Voyage still one of the top coasters among most enthusiasts? Yes. Is it still near the top of the rankings? Yes. Is anyone who is complaining about T Express winning going to be able to give an accurate opinion if they've never ridden it? No. So how can they know if it's better or not?

The opinions on El Toro/Phoenix/Boulder Dash/Voyage are split up among enthusiasts just like they are in the actual poll. A lot of people use the "grouping method" to rank their coasters, and it's safe to say that the top 5 or 10 in this poll are grouped the same way. Chances are, people are going to enjoy most, if not all of the coasters in the top 10 (save for Aska, since we can't really ride it anymore). I could see the outrage if Voyage dropped out of the top 20, but it's still right near the top. So I ask again, why does it matter THAT much?

I found this years poll result one of the most true reflection, in relation to my woodies i've experienced.

In previous polls its appeared "fanboyism" & some "anti voting" had taken place (which i know Mitch tries to remove blatant examples).

Next year should be interesting, because this year's voting pattern was an aberration in the 16-year history of the poll (Grizzly not in last, for instance).

On a different note, check out the 6-year pattern of high-performing rides. There are notable exceptions, but a ride's stay in the top-10 seems to have a 6-year shelf-life.