TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

I've found that I can still be a huge fan of a coaster, and not rank it number 1. I wouldn't call myself a Boulderdash fanboy, but as of now - it has delivered the most insane and fun ride. I am a HUGE fan of the Voyage, but this year - it was too rough for even my masochistic behind. I really look forward to seeing if the new trains can get it back to where I first rode it, but I voted from my experience last summer which was too rough on the spine to rank at #1.

I'm the biggest Rampage fanboy you'll find, and I have it ranked #8 on my list. I can be honest, it's not the best I've ridden or the best in the world, but it definitely deserves the ranking it has now.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see these results. Looking forward to finally getting on Colossos in April, too! Delighted to see Troy hanging on in there - and Tonnerre de Zeus I felt wasn't running its very best last year when I rode in October, but nevertheless a brilliant woodie that in my eyes should be higher.

Does anyone else feel El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn is a little on the high side? I haven't been on it, but am puzzled as to why it's quite that high... sure it looks like a hell of a lot of fun, but in a Joris en de Draak sort of way - which is down at 25?

Thoughts?

Ignoring the fear of the wrath I'll receive if I once again criticize a new GCI coaster getting a high ranking I'll reiterate my post from last year.

GCI's always seem to rank high their first year then start to dramatically drop off.

That being said I totally believe that Plohn's El Toro is unusually high. It was a good solid ride, but very similar to all the normal GCI's. I felt that at least Efteling's dueling racing GCI was a much better experience. Perhaps this could be a case of the German's trying to boost their rides? As we saw happen with Black Mamba that one year.

On the subject of "older" coaster riders and their preferences: I guess I must now include myself as an "older" enthusiast. Still feel pretty young inside, but bruises don't quite heal as fast as they used to.

The Voyage is my number 1 woodie, and I rode it last two years ago. Don't know if it's gotten much rougher since then, but it was pretty insane in '09. Love that thing to death. If you don't tense up and go with the flow, it seems to stay on the "fun" side of rough; at least it did for me. Just totally out of control.

El Toro is a very, very close second. Could ride that thing all day long, non-stop. Brilliant.

For what it's worth. "Old" doesn't necessarily mean "no longer likes a little tough-love with my woodies."

And now I've got to go cinch my pants-waist up around my ribcage. And "Wheel of Fortune" is about to start, so keep it down, you crazy kids.

Ignoring the fear of the wrath I'll receive if I once again criticize a new GCI coaster getting a high ranking I'll reiterate my post from last year.

GCI's always seem to rank high their first year then start to dramatically drop off.

So true - Over time Thunderhead (and Ozark Wildcat) are the only two GCIs that have bucked the trend by not dropping off dramatically.

^I don't think any sane individual (read: someone not from Ohio or New Zealand) thinks it's going to ever reopen, or a poll like this would have an influence. Mostly what it is is people remembering the ride fondly and thinking of their best rides on it, when in reality if they were open today it would probably be ranked much lower.

Does anyone else think it's silly that SBNO coasters are still ranked? How can a coaster that didn't run in 2010 be the 9th or 20th best coaster of 2010?

Well the best sex you ever had might be with a hooker that's now dead, but that doesn't make the experience any worse.

Disclaimer: The above is not based on actual facts.

Does anyone else think it's silly that SBNO coasters are still ranked? How can a coaster that didn't run in 2010 be the 9th or 20th best coaster of 2010?

I see what you're saying, but I don't necessarily think the "of 2010" part is that literal. It's just an annually updated poll with the "new for *insert year here*" coasters added into the mix. If people don't think they should belong, then they won't vote for them. Coasters like Aska have given people such great experiences and fond memories, that they believe it's more than worthy to be included into the mix.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Well the best sex you ever had might be with a hooker that's now dead, but that doesn't make the experience any worse.

Yeah, but what if you tried to have sex with her now?

FBNO

My guess is the reason why Mitch does that is to at least help promote preservation to show the world "Hey! There is a top 20 wooden coaster sitting there... JUST SITTING THERE!!! GO GET IT AND BRING IT TO YOUR PARK!!!"

If anything, he probably does more for awareness than ACE does.

Also works the opposite in that based on seeing how a crappy ride like Big Dipper ranks in the polls, it doesn't deserve to be saved. (Although I'm sure Prince Desmond would disagree)

--Robb

I always find it interesting how the Beast at Kings Island ranks. It seems like in Mitchs poll it's always averagely rated coaster ( I didn't notice it's ranking this year just saw it wasn't in the top 20 or so) and in other polls it's a annual top 10. It's one of my personal favorites for sentimental reasons more than anything and I still rate it fairly high but it's seems to e a coaster that's kind of a love it or hate it ride.

^That's the beauty of polls: they are entirely subjective. While I personally don't agree with ranking a ride based on their BEST ride on it if subsequent rides are nowhere near as good, I am going to assume that is the main reason why Beast does so well in other polls.

I think SBNO coasters are there for the same reason "favorite steel coaster" is put in the rankings....to make the comparisons as accurate as possible.

Just because a ride is SBNO, doesn't mean it wasn't someones favorite coaster.

^That's the beauty of polls: they are entirely subjective. While I personally don't agree with ranking a ride based on their BEST ride on it if subsequent rides are nowhere near as good, I am going to assume that is the main reason why Beast does so well in other polls.

I think SBNO coasters are there for the same reason "favorite steel coaster" is put in the rankings....to make the comparisons as accurate as possible.

Just because a ride is SBNO, doesn't mean it wasn't someones favorite

Yeah good point, I just think it's interesting because I can't really think of another coaster wood or steel that has as much parity in it's ranking. Maybe Space Mountain, I know a lot of people who have that coaster in their top 5 or 10 for sentimental reasons or whatever reason but it never really shows up in the "major" polls.

Edited by robbalvey

I always find it interesting how the Beast at Kings Island ranks. It seems like in Mitchs poll it's always averagely rated coaster ( I didn't notice it's ranking this year just saw it wasn't in the top 20 or so) and in other polls it's a annual top 10. It's one of my personal favorites for sentimental reasons more than anything and I still rate it fairly high but it's seems to e a coaster that's kind of a love it or hate it ride.

I actually wanted to ask about the Beast (since the site is down for me and has been all day). Did anyone see where it was ranked? I have a different opinion of Beast than you I think so I'm wondering for a different reason . Besides X (Haven't ridden it as X2) and Magnum XL 200 (I like it but let's calm down a little bit... people act like this coaster can walk on water, cure aids and save puppies) I think the Beast is the most overrated coaster I've ever been on. After the excruciatingly painful first hill... I wanted to cry when I remembered that the ride was almost 5 minutes long.

RANDOM - One more question since I can't get on the site... where did Leap the Dips finish? Don't ask why, but I really want to know.

^The Beast was ranked 52.

I haven't ridden it yet and I'm really curious about what it will be like. I'm sure it will be nothing like the old reviews, but it seems like there are some aspects that should still be fun, like the tunnels and the woodsy setting.

Edited by cal1br3tto

It beat out a lot of much newer coasters. Then again... that's probably because those coasters hurt and I'd rather sit on a bench than ride something that's going to give me a massive headache. Still, good for leap the dips though. I really want to ride that one day.

Mitch Hawker's Wood Coaster Poll RESULTS!

179. The Grizzly - Great America

180. Anaconda - Walygator Parc

I wonder if Great America is throwing a party?

FBNO

Is that PG-13? I feel so dirty!