TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know what the "chch ... chch ... chch ... chch" noise is as the train is moving in the station? I've heard it on videos of other B&Ms as well.

Silver Bullet a Knott's has this, and since it's an inverted coaster you can see a lot of the track elements. I looked very closely one time and saw that it is these little "notches" that, when lined up with the ones on the track, allow the restraints to unlock. When the train is entering/exiting the station, these chain-dog-like things slide over the ones on the track and make the click noise. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

It is not a chain dog device. The chain dog is just that, a chain dog.

These are for locking and unlocking restraints on newer B&M's. They also indicate open and closed restraints on all coasters that they have been installed on.

Kumba and Montu have received these within the last year or so. Your saying that Silver Bullet has them. Are they to the side of the track like this?

If so, I think it is great that B&M is adding these to the older coasters. One more safety system in place before that train leaves the station.

The way these work is if a restraint is not locked properly, the train WILL NOT dispatch.

Um... that's what I said they were. It seems like you were correcting me. But yes, Silver Bullet's are on the sides just like that. I'm pretty sure all newer B&Ms have it, because I heard it on Banshee and GateKeeper. I'm sure Fury 325 will have it too.

It clicked in my head today...Holiday World (if I am not mistaken) is the only park in the world with free parking and a B&M. It's not a major thing, but it is cool to see a "local" park (per say) that has such a level of coasters at their park!!!

Tivoli Gardens doesn't have a parking lot, but has a B&M. Does that count?

I know the focus right now is all about Thunderbird, and rightfully so, but I wonder if they will share any pics as they normally do of the rest of the park preparing for opening? One year I think they did an IT chronicles showing how they prep the registers and other tech around the park. Am I too soon to see any of that? I know it shows my nerdy side, lol, but I enjoy that kinda stuff, lol.

I know the focus right now is all about Thunderbird, and rightfully so, but I wonder if they will share any pics as they normally do of the rest of the park preparing for opening? One year I think they did an IT chronicles showing how they prep the registers and other tech around the park. Am I too soon to see any of that? I know it shows my nerdy side, lol, but I enjoy that kinda stuff, lol.

Does anyone know what the "chch ... chch ... chch ... chch" noise is as the train is moving in the station? I've heard it on videos of other B&Ms as well.

On many coasters, the brakes cycle to keep the speed of the train under control. I think that on ThunderBird, it is the brake fins dropping and raising in preparation for the launch. In the video I saw today, the sound is heard as the train moves onto the launch segment.

On many coasters, the brakes cycle to keep the speed of the train under control. I think that on ThunderBird, it is the brake fins dropping and raising in preparation for the launch. In the video I saw today, the sound is heard as the train moves onto the launch segment.

Thunderbird (and practically all B&Ms) use drive wheels in addition to brakes, so there's no need to open or close brakes while moving at low speeds through the station.

The sound you are hearing are the metal contacts that release the restraints. As in the case of wingcoasters their are two contacts per car. The contacts are spring loaded so every time you hear the train go over one of those contacts you hear that noise.

Here is a photo of what those contacts look like .

wing.jpg.adb0aec9dfec948e879c27cdf1c97a9e.jpg

Photo from Cedar Point

Yes yes let's get back to this amazing piece of steel called Thunderbird. I wonder if they are still going to have the cool little lightning and thunder effect at launch. I know it seems like such a small thing to wonder about, but I actually enjoy little things like that on coasters.

Yes yes let's get back to this amazing piece of steel called Thunderbird. I wonder if they are still going to have the cool little lightning and thunder effect at launch. I know it seems like such a small thing to wonder about, but I actually enjoy little things like that on coasters.

I hope so as well!

Today's Holiblog Post

Here’s the answer, from VP James: There are five sets of electrical contacts in the station (one per car). This allows the ride computer to talk to the train while in the station (for example, to check that the harnesses are all locked before dispatch). These are spring-loaded contacts, causing the ‘chch’ noise as the train passes over them.

Thanks Raven!