TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think they will dress up/ hide the area/concrete pad for the upcoming season and then a new ride will be announced for the following season.

For 2015, we'll add seating to that area, in anticipation of something else taking that spot in 2016.

You know, Holiday World really doesn't have a drop tower.

I think they will dress up/ hide the area/concrete pad for the upcoming season and then a new ride will be announced for the following season.

For 2015, we'll add seating to that area, in anticipation of something else taking that spot in 2016.

Is Liberty Launch not good enough for 'ya?

It's so interesting to know I'll get to experience the same ride in a different, and potentially better location.

When did Liberty Launch become a drop tower?

Seems they're way ahead of us in re-theming the ride! The new location suits the swings waaay better than the previous! If only it was a bit taller, but hey, it's still fun and friendly to families.

It is a tower ride with plenty of airtime, and it's one of my top favorite tower rides because of it. If you still want a pure freefall experience, then I guess that's up for discussion.

Also, I don't think I've seen so many quoted posts in one post before... how far can we go?

Seems they're way ahead of us in re-theming the ride! The new location suits the swings waaay better than the previous! If only it was a bit taller, but hey, it's still fun and friendly to families.

It is a tower ride with plenty of airtime, and it's one of my top favorite tower rides because of it. If you still want a pure freefall experience, then I guess that's up for discussion.

Also, I don't think I've seen so many quoted posts in one post before... how far can we go?

It is still no match for any Intamin drop tower.

Edited by nicman

^ Honestly, Holiday World is a special case when comes to smaller parks. They're independently owned, which means they can spend their money as they choose, and they have a business model that work for them and only them. This model makes them a lot of money (obviously), just look at how much money they've been spending on expansion projects over the last 10 years and you have to have money to spend money. The one thing that I love about Holiday World is that they're not content with just making money, they're always taking the money they make and using it to invest in something that makes the park better. So with that being said, I don't think you're going to see a lot smaller parks purchasing B&M's, as they're simply not in the same position HW is from business and financial standpoint.

I'm interested to see what will be coming to HW in 2016. Obviously, something to replace Sparkler. I also think it will be wise to continue to increase the capacity of the waterpark, especially with the expected attendance jump that Thunderbird is going to bring, which hopefully will be in the 1.5-2 million range.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

By the way, Paula, the park's media team is doing an excellent job in covering the park! Even small Thunderbird updates and flat-ride relocation videos go a long way for people yearning to return for next year. Plus, they're quite entertaining to watch.

Hmm, I'm starting to notice the past few pages on this thread have been consisting mostly of praise and compliments toward the park. It's quite a change from other threads I read every now and then.

[[...Trimmed all other quotes on purpose. Too much to read!]]

It is still no match for any Intamin drop tower.

I thought the same, until I rode a Larson/ARM tower for the first time. Scary.

^

I'm interested to see what will be coming to HW in 2016. Obviously, something to replace Sparkler. I also think it will be wise to continue to increase the capacity of the waterpark, especially with the expected attendance jump that Thunderbird is going to bring, which hopefully will be in the 1.5-2 million range.

]

Is there enough other rides to support 2 million people there? I havent been there in a while, but last time I was there the park could not support that many people. Do they still have free parking and free drinks?

^ Oh they've certainly made strides over the last 5 years to vastly increase capacity (mostly in the waterpark) and prepare the infrastructure of the park for a greater intake of guests. The majority of their guests are always going to spend most of their time in the waterpark, so that's where their capacity demands will always be. I would expect the number to be more around 1.5 rather than 2 million, but I don't think you can underestimate how big of a statement HW is making and how big of a marketing tool Thunderbird is going to be for them. They're continuing to expand the areas they're marketing in. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear that they have billboards up in Dollywood territory, because that's who I believe they want to compete with. So I won't say that 2 million can't happen now, though they're more realistically 2-5 years away from reaching that goal. To answer your final question, yes they still have free parking and free soft drinks, and those things will never leave the park. They're a vital key to the success of their business, as is their other freebies, which is what will help them compete against the Dollywood's of the world.

Edited by ZeroGravity55