TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^If it rains I wonder if it adds more water to the splash? That'd be pretty cool. And I also wonder if it heavily rained and they re-opened the ride after it rained (considering they closed it during the rain) would they have to drain the water a bit, so that the levels are where they should be. (considering they got a good amount of rain.)

I don't, as a general rule, do water rides, but it looks like a blast. My opinion isnt worth much on the subject, but the point is to have fun. If you need wetness that bad, go swimming. Anyway, just my take.

Have fun

The ride looks like it will be a lot of fun. Something tells me that with the tallest water ride in the world, if you ran with the typical huge splash it would be a rather uncomfortable ride as people would probably all slam their heads onto the seat in front of them at splashdown. The lift system looks amazing and possibly the scariest part of the ride.

I don't see why not having a massive splash automatically makes it a failure. Sure it's a little dissapointing visually, but as has been reported you still get drenched. Isn't THAT the whole point of these rides, to cool down during the hot summer months?

QFT

Wow, that is the most insane water ride I've ever seen. The drop seems like it goes on forever, and I'm really impressed with how fast the elevator accepts and releases the boats. (Rides with elevators tend to have a much londer wait time for accept/release of vehicles.)

Congrats Holiday World!!!

What DenDen said and great job on coverage Bat!

I just returned from a mini weekend trip. I went to Kings Island on Saturday and Holiday World on Sunday. I must say...my opinion on Pilgrim's Plunge was even worse after riding it. The elevator lift is tons of fun...but it ends there. After going down the drop, you skid across the water before you make a 10ft splash. Not only do some log flumes have bigger splashes, the water simply pours over the side of the boats, flooding your shoes. While the area is nowhere near being complete (The station has unfinished stairways and walls and the landscaping is still dirt.), something needs to be done to make the ride better. While a tunnel seems to be ruled out for the beginning of the ride, I actually don't mind. When you exit the station, it is cool to look at the elevator and you move rather quickly. After the drop, you move painfully slow to the station. I actually think a tunnel would be better at that location. Also, for the drop, it just feels like a longer, standard drop. If that is to make the ride family friendly, the elevator lift contradicts that. The elevator would scare many more kids away. Hopefully, in the off season, they can figure out a way to make those boats create the splash they were expecting. This ride seems like it would have been much more successful as the typical 4-across boat.

^ I'd think you'd need it to skim the water first, look at the video 2 posts above you, when it hits the water after it skims it, it starts to shake a bit, if it were just impact right after the drop. Then I think the boat would shake alot more then that. (think of the POV of Flying Turns, that thing bounces off the walls quite a bit just to get into the brakes, I think the same would apply for this water ride, it'd just bounce off the walls pretty badly.) And as for 4 across boats, I don't think they'd be able to have a dual elevator if it was 4 across because then it'd tilt to much to avoid the other elevator in the middle due to the wideness of the boats.

Kalepi "Just my guess" Konei

^ I'd think you'd need it to skim the water first, look at the video 2 posts above you, when it hits the water after it skims it, it starts to shake a bit, if it were just impact right after the drop. Then I think the boat would shake alot more then that. (think of the POV of Flying Turns, that thing bounces off the walls quite a bit just to get into the brakes, I think the same would apply for this water ride, it'd just bounce off the walls pretty badly.) And as for 4 across boats, I don't think they'd be able to have a dual elevator if it was 4 across because then it'd tilt to much to avoid the other elevator in the middle due to the wideness of the boats.

Kalepi "Just my guess" Konei

Yeah. I'm not saying it wasn't supposed to skid across the water. For 4 person boats....just make a bigger elevator. It isn't someething they can change now...I just think that has a lot to do with the splash. Intamin made these style boats for the first time.

From the HW Website..

Pilgrims Plunge Facts

TOWER HEIGHT: 165 feet

ELEVATOR LIFT HEIGHT: 135 feet

DROP: 131 feet, 45-degree angle

USH Website says Jurrasic Park drop is 84 feet.

Aren't modern water rides designed to adjust splash levels based on the weather? The water levels at the bottom of the trough look pretty low, it could hold some more water.

Anyway, I'm not actually a fan of getting wet, unless it's in a water park setting. Holiday World is genius for having a Splashin' Safari entrance so riders can take on that awesome drop without wearing wet clothes for hours afterward.

Do they have any solid plans for a splash bridge or a splash area of some kind?

I rode this thing yesterday. (Pictures coming.) I can tell you it is a thrilling fun family ride. And you will get soaked. Especially in tha front seat! The spray you get going down the hill will totaly drench your upper half. The wave at the end will cover the rest. A poncho was the best investment I made this day!

Guy "They need pay and spray water cannons though." Koepp

^Oh I figured as much. Those things are gravy makers! A park would be stupid to not invest in them. They probably pay for themselves in a matter of days. I know in my lifetime I've pumped hundreds of dollars into the little monsters.

Guy "Cause nothing says love more than soaking the last dry person in one of the boats. : " Koepp