TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^We were told on Sunday that they were still "tweaking" the ride--there is quite a bit of landscaping left to do, and the inside of the loading station looks like an unfinished garage. But they're closed until the weekend, so draining the water is probably just routine (as many parks do for rapids and flumes).

I thought it was really fun! It is a solid ride for the family. The ride just opened a couple of days ago and it is quite amazing how fast that they were able to get it built. They did have it open for opening day, which was promised. This area was originally a basic field, so that is why there isn't any trees or foliage in the area yet. I think they will add some landscaping around the first section of the ride when the time comes. I think its better not to have a tunnel in the first section because everyone will be wanting to watch the lift. The drop is not too intense because its not as steep as some other water rides. The splash may not be huge when compared to other splashdown rides, but I think its is larger than a standard long flume. Well, it is certainly bigger when compared to Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom. If I was to build a tunnel for the ride, I would do it around the final bend back into the station because that section does move at a very slow speed. Maybe have some Pilgrims in the tunnel welcome you back from your journey.

You can see my pictures here if interested:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50492&start=10

Watching both the POV and the off-ride video it does seem to run flat after the drop for a couple of seconds before splashing down, I wonder when they are finished tweaking how much of that splash-free run will remain, if it splashes down straight from the drop I reckon that splash could be quite impressive, not that there is anything wrong with it's splash now would just be interesting to see how much difference a couple of metres makes.

Rob

^^If I remember right, there's a video somewhere of test runs with the water level much higher. The boats dropped into the water pretty much right off the drop, and the splash was HUGE. But it really just abruptly stopped the boat, and it looked like whiplash was in store for riders. They really just need to find a happy medium, which I'm sure they're concentrating on.

^It's funny you should say this. Cause the only park that I can think of that needs a major water ride is Kings Island. All they have is the raft ride, and the Wild Thornberries log flume. they need something to get you wet over on the other side. Perhaps they can re track SOB with a water flume. That might make it smoother, plus, they could brag about having the tallest water ride in tha world. I'm sure it would be much higher capacity.

^It's funny you should say this. Cause the only park that I can think of that needs a major water ride is Kings Island. All they have is the raft ride, and the Wild Thornberries log flume. they need something to get you wet over on the other side. Perhaps they can re track SOB with a water flume. That might make it smoother, plus, they could brag about having the tallest water ride in tha world. I'm sure it would be much higher capacity.

?

This ride represents the right mix of a thrilling family ride. Height and speed that's just enough to make non-thrill guests nervous.

Listen to those screams down the hill. Perfect.

I love the speed on the run out!

(Something tells me there's something similar and more exciting coming around this area soon enough. Time will tell.)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally rode it....I take back anything I said bad about this ride not delivering. Front seat is awesome as the water spray is fun, middle seats are fun, and the back seat has air time. And you get soaked. Rode a total of six times. Park is really packed today so I am hanging out at my camp site until walk back time, won't ride anymore until close to closing.

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is ALMOST too good to be true...

Holiday World is set to announce their second largest ride project in the park's HISTORY on August 13th at 11am.

Can't wait!

What's the New Project for 2010?

Ah, the question on everyone's mind these days: What's new for 2010?

Yes, we will have a new...thing...for next year. Want to play along with our guessing game? Follow us on Twitter, our Facebook Fan Page, and the HoliBlog.

Our big announcement will be Thursday, August 13, at 11 am CDT. If you're here as a guest that day, you're welcome to join us in the Holiday Theater (sorry, HoliDazzles fans, we'll have one less show that day).

Park president Will Koch will proudly unveil his latest plan for making everyone smile. He's been working on this for several years and has been talking about it even longer. In fact...it's the second largest ride project in the park's history!

*Crosses Fingers* Custom B&M Invert please! (Will's mentioned he's a big fan of them several times in the past) Hell, I'll take a B&M anything! Has the red track been spoken for yet?