TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I also heard this coaster doesn't have a theme...It's just going to be "One. Big. Thing." That's according to a new post from Leah Koch on the Holiblog about the ride. My personal opinion, I think it should have a theme, but I'm not paying the bill so not my call.

One Big Thing, means one big thing. Knowing Holiday World, it will be themed out the wazoo. They are not going to just plop a Big Coaster, out in the middle of a field without extensive themeing I'm sure.

I read it on NewsPlusNotes, not saying it's fact. But here's the quote. "Another recent confirmation was that the new ride won't be part of any new themed section, just "One. Big. Thing."

I don't know. Maybe it'll have it's own theme all by itself. Maybe Holiday World may want to start a whole new themed section. Who knows, it's all speculation.

I read it on NewsPlusNotes, not saying it's fact. But here's the quote. "Another recent confirmation was that the new ride won't be part of any new themed section, just "One. Big. Thing."

I don't know. Maybe it'll have it's own theme all by itself. Maybe Holiday World may want to start a whole new themed section. Who knows, it's all speculation.

They are meaning that Holiday World isn't going to add a new themed section of the park like thanksgiving Halloween, Christmas, and Fourth of July. The ride will certainly be themed they just aren't building an entire new themed section of the park like they did with Thanksgiving when they did the Voyage. Its going to be a part of an old themed section.... Thanksgiving....so the ride will have some sort of theme having to do with thanksgiving. It's the specific themeing for that one ride that we don't know yet, but you can bet it will be themed.

Okay, I got on board with the whole, "Holiday World is getting a B&M" idea...But not so sure anymore. Can you still buy a B&M for $18 million anymore with inflation and all? I think B&M's cheapest coasters are their Dive Coasters. Maybe it's a dive.

From what I recall, Dive Machines are very expensive. They require a wider track which hikes up the prices immensely. Also due to the wider track it needs more reinforced supports as well.

Okay, I got on board with the whole, "Holiday World is getting a B&M" idea...But not so sure anymore. Can you still buy a B&M for $18 million anymore with inflation and all? I think B&M's cheapest coasters are their Dive Coasters. Maybe it's a dive.

From what I recall, Dive Machines are very expensive. They require a wider track which hikes up the prices immensely. Also due to the wider track it needs more reinforced supports as well.

Griffon cost $15.6 mil.

Griffon cost $15.6 mil.

This means that the cost shouldn't be looked at specifically. Even with $USD average inflation from 2007 to 2014, that would put Griffon's cost at about $17.9 million today. There are other factors I'm sure, such as the cost of steel and construction materials increasing way beyond the average since then.

Although it's possible, I'm really hoping that this isn't another B&M. That's just my bias though

Paula: Following along has been a ton of fun so far. Can't wait until the big announcement!

I'll say it's a friendly rivalry, but Ed Hart didn't have any kind words to stay about HW when they made an attempt to reopen KK (when Dan Koch was president of the park). Also, I believe in some report I read where he outlined his plan to revitalize the park, he said he expected HW's attendances figures had maxed out and they would start to decline once KK reopened. I also recall reading in that report that he said HW lacked a steel looping coaster and that Kings Island would be their only competition. He called HW's business and marketing plan vulnerable (even though he tried to duplicate it when he owned Magic Springs in Arkansas) and it was a great opportunity to take advantage of them. I don't think he ever accounted HW being able to afford a B&M (if that is indeed what it is) when he made these assumptions. I also don't think he quite gets what HW is about and how their business plan works. I've actually found the report: http://www.scribd.com/doc/110767374/KKRC-ResponseOct2012w

Most of the info is on page 20, if anyone is curious.

I hadn't seen this marketing / business plan before, but it's a very interesting read.

Kentucky Kingdom obviously sees Holiday World as its principal competitor in the marketplace, and it probably is.

The revitalization of Kentucky Kingdom, and the need for Holiday World to remain competitive in light of KK's re-opening and the its planned $15M B&M coaster in 2015, probably form some of the backdrop for what's going on at HW, beyond the natural interest in growing and expanding.

I'm more wondering if its all about the new family members trying to take HW in a new direction and using a different formula and less about KK.

*oops* forgot my example... their new commercials (is it me or is Santa a little freaky looking?) are more about attractions then family which is totally different than the ones with Pat, Will, & Dan talking about the family fun appeal.

Edited by mikeykaise

I'm more wondering if its all about the new family members trying to take HW in a new direction and using a different formula and less about KK.

*oops* forgot my example... their new commercials (is it me or is Santa a little freaky looking?) are more about attractions then family which is totally different than the ones with Pat, Will, & Dan talking about the family fun appeal.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons for the new project. Personally, I just hadn't really considered the rebirth of KK as a potentially significant factor --it may or may not be.

I'm going to be careful to not speculate about the actual expenditure amounts or risk being scolded again!

I believe the hint was: "running about a mile a minute — maybe faster!"

What would be great was if the coaster was one mile long and a cycle was one minute, meaning a 60 mph average speed!