TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, boldikus said:

The eastern side of the park is not open after early November, so that means no Ka, Zum, Mine Train/flume, Bizarro. The boardwalk coasters are open and everything west of there is. The park is advertising Jersey Devil will be open for Holiday In the Park. Crowds can be moderately busy that time of year but a huge chunk of people that go to HITP don't go for the big coasters so you can *usually* expect short waits. That said, I've gone on freak 75 degree days and had a 30 minute wait for Nitro.

Thanks! Is there a set date for when the east side closes in November? And if Jersey is open for HITP, does that mean it stays open until then all through November?

Anyone know what the deal is with El Toro, I read a few pages back in the thread but it's mostly about JD :)

Barring any tech issues, JDC should be open through closing weekend in January. At least thats what it looks like will happen based on what the park is advertising.

I don't know off hand when they will close Ka/Zum/Bizarro/etc but the last few years the park keeps everything open after Fright Fest, at least for the first weekend or two as they transition to HITP. Once HITP starts (check the website, I don't know off hand what the date is this year) they will not have that stuff open, its fenced off. And if I'm not mistaken sometimes they do close the entire Bizarro/MineTrain area right after Fright Fest ends.

El Toro is still receiving extensive track work and at this point its extremely unlikely they would open it again this season as it usually closes in less than a month at this point.

38 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Barring any tech issues, JDC should be open through closing weekend in January. At least thats what it looks like will happen based on what the park is advertising.

I don't know off hand when they will close Ka/Zum/Bizarro/etc but the last few years the park keeps everything open after Fright Fest, at least for the first weekend or two as they transition to HITP. Once HITP starts (check the website, I don't know off hand what the date is this year) they will not have that stuff open, its fenced off. And if I'm not mistaken sometimes they do close the entire Bizarro/MineTrain area right after Fright Fest ends.

El Toro is still receiving extensive track work and at this point its extremely unlikely they would open it again this season as it usually closes in less than a month at this point.

thanks!

Mini-TR, Thursday October 7th.

So, after visiting my parents in Howell NJ, I decided to stop by SFGAdv on the way home to get my first rides on Jersey Devil and also make use of that $13 class-action lawsuit voucher that I got.  This was a "Fright Fest Power Hours" night, so limited ride availability, no shows, no scare-actors in the scare zones, but every maze was open (if you want to call it that).  Also note that Flash Pass is not available during Power Hour nights, even if you have it on your pass/membership.

I did only get on three rides, by choice.  Lines were non-existent.

Houdini's Great Escape - How hilarious that this ride doesn't run during 90% of the season, but it does run during a limited-ride-availability Power Hours event?  Only Six Flags.  Anyway, awesome as always (I was one of four people on it), though I still wish they had kept the projector in the pre-show room instead of changing it to a flat-screen monitor.  Seriously, I got a cheap projector at Dave & Busters for 14,000 tickets...how hard can it be for a theme-keeping touch like this?

Jersey Devil - 14 minutes locker-to-locker for two laps.  Rode the front and back row, basically walk-ons both times.  I can confirm that the restraints pinch your thighs in an uncomfortable way (the curvature of the lap bar doesn't mirror the curvature of the seats, so the end of the lap bar ends up pushing in on the top of your thighs).  My bigger concern, and likely one only for people of my exact torso dimensions, is that the seat back ended right where the ridge on the back of my head is, causing some painful bumps there.  What did I think of the ride itself?  Meh.  It's a good ride, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't blow me out of the water in the front or the back, though I will say the front is slightly better.  The continuous-loading station is a nice touch, and definitely keeps the line moving (not that there was much line while I was there).

Kingda Ka - 5 minute, two-train wait for the back row, which only took that long since they were only running one train (three were in sight).  I should've waited the seven or eight trains for the front...this thing is such a rattle-y mess.  Still intense, though, but seriously how is TTD in such better running shape than this?

Normally opposed to spending any money at this park, I put my $13 voucher along with $8 out of my own pocket and purchased the "Fright Pass" to grant me access to the haunted walk-throughs.  Cedar Fair's Haunt, this is not, but at least there weren't any lines...many of these mazes I went through entirely by myself.

The Manor - Literally 3 actors in the entire maze.  Horrible artistry.

Fears - Largely dark, some insect-style decorations, 4 actors in the entire maze.  Not impressive.

Big Top Terror: Forgotten Carnival 3D - 4-5 actors, you wear disposable 3D glasses to great effect...lots of nice visual tricks and holographic displays.  GREAT artistry in one of the forest scenes.

Reflections of the Dead - Great concept, an actual mirror maze with dead ends and ways to get lost!  Only 3 or 4 actors, but it doesn't really need them.  The super-thin plastic gloves they give you to prevent fingerprints on the mirrors was a smart move.

Aftermath - Actually had like 10 actors in it, wow!  Lots of cool laser-screen effects with the fog.

Wicked Woods - Decently long outdoor walk through, 10-11 actors.  Pretty well done, similar in concept to King's Dominions Grimm Woods, but nowhere near as well executed.

Xpedition Dino: Survival - Very long long through the standard walk-through dinosaur exhibit in the woods back behind the Northern Star Arena.  About 13 actors in it, and some nice details like clothes hanging out of the dinosaur's mouths.  Great use of something that's already there.

Bloodshed - Kinda a redneck/slaughterhouse theme.  About 10 actors, decently long, some good visual effects....not terrible.

The Lab - Decent enough.  Maybe 7 or 8 actors.  Outdoors for a "science lab" theme which doesn't make much sense, but you do you, Six Flags.

You'll notice that's a lot of mazes...9 in total.  Compare to the CF parks where there's only 5 or 6 mazes this year, it kinda explains why they had so many actors in each and SFGAdv had so few - SF went for a "quantity over quality" approach.  I don't know if this is any different on the proper non-"Power Hour" nights, but it is what it was.

And that's about it for what is likely my last visit to this park for a while.  With the Season Pass change to only allow it to be used at your "home," park, I will definitely not be getting one next year.  If El Toro somehow magically reopens before the end of the pass validity, I'll be back to get some laps on that, but otherwise....this park is still meh to me.  I'll be back when the next major ride comes in or closes.

Thanks for reading.

8 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Jersey Devil - I can confirm that the restraints pinch your thighs in an uncomfortable way (the curvature of the lap bar doesn't mirror the curvature of the seats, so the end of the lap bar ends up pushing in on the top of your thighs).  My bigger concern, and likely one only for people of my exact torso dimensions, is that the seat back ended right where the ridge on the back of my head is, causing some painful bumps there.  

Wah wah. This is a bummer. Raptor models have so much potential, it is too bad RMC can't seem to get the restraints right. The restraints totally ruined my ride on WW, and aren't Jersey Devil's restraints a revised 2nd generation design?

15 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Mini-TR, Thursday October 7th.

So, after visiting my parents in Howell NJ, I decided to stop by SFGAdv on the way home to get my first rides on Jersey Devil and also make use of that $13 class-action lawsuit voucher that I got.  This was a "Fright Fest Power Hours" night, so limited ride availability, no shows, no scare-actors in the scare zones, but every maze was open (if you want to call it that).  Also note that Flash Pass is not available during Power Hour nights, even if you have it on your pass/membership.

I did only get on three rides, by choice.  Lines were non-existent.

Houdini's Great Escape - How hilarious that this ride doesn't run during 90% of the season, but it does run during a limited-ride-availability Power Hours event?  Only Six Flags.  Anyway, awesome as always (I was one of four people on it), though I still wish they had kept the projector in the pre-show room instead of changing it to a flat-screen monitor.  Seriously, I got a cheap projector at Dave & Busters for 14,000 tickets...how hard can it be for a theme-keeping touch like this?

Jersey Devil - 14 minutes locker-to-locker for two laps.  Rode the front and back row, basically walk-ons both times.  I can confirm that the restraints pinch your thighs in an uncomfortable way (the curvature of the lap bar doesn't mirror the curvature of the seats, so the end of the lap bar ends up pushing in on the top of your thighs).  My bigger concern, and likely one only for people of my exact torso dimensions, is that the seat back ended right where the ridge on the back of my head is, causing some painful bumps there.  What did I think of the ride itself?  Meh.  It's a good ride, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't blow me out of the water in the front or the back, though I will say the front is slightly better.  The continuous-loading station is a nice touch, and definitely keeps the line moving (not that there was much line while I was there).

Kingda Ka - 5 minute, two-train wait for the back row, which only took that long since they were only running one train (three were in sight).  I should've waited the seven or eight trains for the front...this thing is such a rattle-y mess.  Still intense, though, but seriously how is TTD in such better running shape than this?

Normally opposed to spending any money at this park, I put my $13 voucher along with $8 out of my own pocket and purchased the "Fright Pass" to grant me access to the haunted walk-throughs.  Cedar Fair's Haunt, this is not, but at least there weren't any lines...many of these mazes I went through entirely by myself.

The Manor - Literally 3 actors in the entire maze.  Horrible artistry.

Fears - Largely dark, some insect-style decorations, 4 actors in the entire maze.  Not impressive.

Big Top Terror: Forgotten Carnival 3D - 4-5 actors, you wear disposable 3D glasses to great effect...lots of nice visual tricks and holographic displays.  GREAT artistry in one of the forest scenes.

Reflections of the Dead - Great concept, an actual mirror maze with dead ends and ways to get lost!  Only 3 or 4 actors, but it doesn't really need them.  The super-thin plastic gloves they give you to prevent fingerprints on the mirrors was a smart move.

Aftermath - Actually had like 10 actors in it, wow!  Lots of cool laser-screen effects with the fog.

Wicked Woods - Decently long outdoor walk through, 10-11 actors.  Pretty well done, similar in concept to King's Dominions Grimm Woods, but nowhere near as well executed.

Xpedition Dino: Survival - Very long long through the standard walk-through dinosaur exhibit in the woods back behind the Northern Star Arena.  About 13 actors in it, and some nice details like clothes hanging out of the dinosaur's mouths.  Great use of something that's already there.

Bloodshed - Kinda a redneck/slaughterhouse theme.  About 10 actors, decently long, some good visual effects....not terrible.

The Lab - Decent enough.  Maybe 7 or 8 actors.  Outdoors for a "science lab" theme which doesn't make much sense, but you do you, Six Flags.

You'll notice that's a lot of mazes...9 in total.  Compare to the CF parks where there's only 5 or 6 mazes this year, it kinda explains why they had so many actors in each and SFGAdv had so few - SF went for a "quantity over quality" approach.  I don't know if this is any different on the proper non-"Power Hour" nights, but it is what it was.

And that's about it for what is likely my last visit to this park for a while.  With the Season Pass change to only allow it to be used at your "home," park, I will definitely not be getting one next year.  If El Toro somehow magically reopens before the end of the pass validity, I'll be back to get some laps on that, but otherwise....this park is still meh to me.  I'll be back when the next major ride comes in or closes.

Thanks for reading.

What season pass change are you talking about? As far as I can tell a season's pass at any six flags park includes access to all six flags parks? Though it looks like they removed the free parking 

1 hour ago, qwimjim said:

What season pass change are you talking about? As far as I can tell a season's pass at any six flags park includes access to all six flags parks? Though it looks like they removed the free parking 

2022 Season passes no longer include all Six Flags parks. Only the park where you purchase it.

5 hours ago, qwimjim said:

4 hours ago, tndank said:

2022 Season passes no longer include all Six Flags parks. Only the park where you purchase it.

What he said.

On the laronde site, when you choose to buy 2022 season passes, this is what you see, clearly indicating access to all parks. when you go to purchase, it's written "valid at all six flags parks". As far as laronde is concerned the only difference seems to be parking is no longer included for free?

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.49.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.50.50 PM.jpg

2 hours ago, qwimjim said:

On the laronde site, when you choose to buy 2022 season passes, this is what you see, clearly indicating access to all parks. when you go to purchase, it's written "valid at all six flags parks". As far as laronde is concerned the only difference seems to be parking is no longer included for free?

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.49.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.50.50 PM.jpg

And the SFGAdv page says the exact opposite, that Season Passes are only good at the park they're purchased at and Memberships are valid everywhere.  No, I'm not going to bother taking screenshots to prove something that has been discussed ad infinitum.  So what's your point?  That everyone should buy their pass through La Ronde and then drive/fly up to Canada to redeem it first?

clearly the American parks are following a different template.

but hopefully that is about to change (see Six Flags Corporate discussion thread)

edit:  just looked at the LaRonde site my self, and although I don't read French. . it doesn't APPEAR that the park offers Membership as an option.   Only Season Passes. . so yeah, makes sense they wouldn't change the way they operate in terms of that.

19 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

And the SFGAdv page says the exact opposite, that Season Passes are only good at the park they're purchased at and Memberships are valid everywhere.  No, I'm not going to bother taking screenshots to prove something that has been discussed ad infinitum.  So what's your point?  That everyone should buy their pass through La Ronde and then drive/fly up to Canada to redeem it first?

Lol that was so unnecessarily hostile.. my point was just making sure I'm not crazy, and observing that apparently not all six flags parks are doing this "home park only" thing

Got to ride Jersey Devil and my first RMC single rail for the first... (second, third, fourth, fifth) time last weekend (no line on Saturday morning!). I gotta say not only was there no discomfort with the restraints for me, I was not expecting the shoulders to be so loosey goosey and not be stiff to the shoulders.  I liked the ride a lot! Wife likes the restraints too. Weird that they are so polarizing to people.

Oh, and while the front is fun, it's totally a back seat ride. Not a bad seat though. I am excited to try one of the more compact ones one day.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, qpb2004 said:

Is the park typically dead during the “bonus” days this week? I might head there for a few hours tomorrow.

I've gone up there a couple of times for "bonus" days. 

The crowds there were decent size but not the fustercluck of Fright Fest. Of course, said bonus days are the last days everything beyond the Boardwalk (Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, Bizarro, etc) is in operation.