TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I find it quite funny that you are crying over a roller coaster.

There are those of us here how hold parks and rides very dear, and yes, some do cry when you've had great times with either and then they're gone. One day friend, you'll understand.

Yes, but there are so many worse things to cry about, while he is crying over a roller coaster.

^Yes there are greater things in the world, but until you experience what I'm talking about, you won't understand.

When I visited what was left of Opryland USA earlier this year, I cried some. The one time I visited the park in 1994, I had a great and comical time there. The place and it's rides had a special vibe that you don't get at just any park. Knowing that it was suddenly gone and seeing what was leftover was and still is very sad. Many others feel similarly about Opryland and various other parks and coasters. You're not just losing some random piece of steel or wood here, but a reminder of some of the happy or silly memories that go along with it.

Think what you will. Call me weak or pathetic to be passionate about coasters and parks, but deep down, you too share this same passion or you wouldn't be a member of this board.

Coasters may not be as important in the grand scheme as other things, but they do hold a special place in all our hearts. When that place is empty, we weep.

BTW for those interested, there is a video called "The Coasters of Six Flags Great Adventure" (or something similar) that R&E shot few years ago. It has Nitro, Medusa, BOTH SIDES OF CHILLER, and Viper PoVs. Dunno where it is here, but it's worth a download.

Edit: Here--> http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/video.htm

^I agree man, if you're a real enthusiast, a coaster dear to your heart that comes down would make you upset I would think. Honestly, when Dorney took out Hercules, I was upset because that was my first really big wooden coaster and was excited that since I was planning on going out to college in PA near Dorney, it'd be near to me. But, they took it out and replaced it with a mediocre floorless, it happens man, I guess some have more passion about this industry then others...

^I agree man, if you're a real enthusiast, a coaster dear to your heart that comes down would make you upset I would think. Honestly, when Dorney took out Hercules, I was upset because that was my first really big wooden coaster and was excited that since I was planning on going out to college in PA near Dorney, it'd be near to me. But, they took it out and replaced it with a mediocre floorless, it happens man, I guess some have more passion about this industry then others...

I felt the same way when Knott's destroyed Windjammer back in the summer of 2001. That was my first roller coaster. However after reading up on all the problems it gave the park (reliability issues, valleying in the wind, defective safety restraints, etc.), I came to the conclusion that this move was in the best interest of the park. And look, they got a nice, smooth, exciting Intaimin to replace it. Same thing with Cedar Point when they removed White Water Landing. It seemed like bad move to take out yet another water ride/family attraction and add another coaster to their huge collection, but look what we got out of it - Quite possibly the best coaster in the park (from what I have heard from friends who have ridden it). What I mean is, this may seem like a bad move, but this will help the park so they don't have to funnel all their money into keeping an unreliable ride running when they could add something new and better for the park. Although this looked like a really fun coaster. Coaster removals are always sad, but they are always in the best interest of the park.

-Sam

I've never been to SFGA.

I see the removal pics, but, my mind is already asking the question:

WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO INSTALL IT NEXT? Does anybody have any idea? Surely they aren't just packing it down in a storage barn somewhere...

Maybe they'll ship it to us in TX and I'll finally be able to ride it.

It would pretty much have to go to SFFT. I don't think SFOT has any room for it.

I'll offer 100 to 1 odds that The Chiller is melted down for soda cans. Imagine trying to auction off this sucker:

"Come buy this great coaster that Six Flags tried to fix for 10 years, but failed! Act now to get in on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to buy a coaster that will kill your maintenance budget and disappoint guests with constant downtime."

The new owner would also probably lose the Batman and Robin theme, which doesn't help either.

SFOT has Mr Freeze which is VERY similar to the Batman track of The Chiller.

Maybe they could repaint/retheme it to some other comic characters.

And isn't SFFT already getting a relocated SF coaster for the 2007 season?

Yes, they got Tony Hawk's Big Spin @ SFFT this year. But, maybe they could add this in next year. It wouldn't be as big of a cost as buying a NEW coaster since this ride is already theirs...

SFOT has Mr Freeze which is VERY similar to the Batman track of The Chiller.

Maybe they could repaint/retheme it to some other comic characters.

And isn't SFFT already getting a relocated SF coaster for the 2007 season?

Yes, they got Tony Hawk's Big Spin @ SFFT this year. But, maybe they could add this in next year. It wouldn't be as big of a cost as buying a NEW coaster since this ride is already theirs...

Whoops, I was referring to B:TR from SFNO for the 2008 season. My bad

I guess some have more passion about this industry then others...

Translation: I guess some people are bigger losers than others...

^say what you want, doesn't matter to me big guy

Anyway, Chiller will definitely be missed, not a coaster for me personally to cry over, but as a whole for the park. I just hope whatever they put in there, it'll be a good add for my homepark

Kinda wonder, who's really the bigger loser? The guy that comes on a coaster forum to talk about coasters, or the pansy that comes on the coaster forum and shoots low blows to make himself feel better?

I gotta be honest, I had an AWESOME ride on Speed at the Nascar Cafe in Vegas, and seeing as how they're both Premier rides, I'm sure these 2 coasters are similar and deliver the same great ride. Its a shame I won't be able to get on these 2, not only are they unique and look like a good time, you don't see too many of them around.

as i am going to take all the credits at sfgadv. i must be very disappointant to hear that they going to tear down the robin and chiller. I know 6 flags parks are "very" bad (That is just an opinion) but when they remove 1 or more coasters from the park I must say that they are just doing their normal thing.

Kinda wonder, who's really the bigger loser? The guy that comes on a coaster forum to talk about coasters, or the pansy that comes on the coaster forum and shoots low blows to make himself feel better?

Ho ho ho...That is so rich. Oh god, this is the biggest pot calling the kettle black in the history of the world! Should I dig up the multitude of posts you made on Westcoaster where you did the exact same things over and over again? You know, part of the reason you got banned from the site repeatedly despite begging to come back?

Or you could realize my post was, ya know, a joke and get over it.

what exactly were the problems with the chiller? there are loads of other premier lim coasters out there all causing no problems (granted i never saw this run as my first visit to gadv was the end of aug)

There were problems with the LIM's and I believe that there was some thing wrong with the batman train.(I think )

I'm sorry, but I find it quite funny that you are crying over a roller coaster.

There are those of us here how hold parks and rides very dear, and yes, some do cry when you've had great times with either and then they're gone. One day friend, you'll understand.

Yes, but there are so many worse things to cry about, while he is crying over a roller coaster.

well i'm sorry if it was one of my favorite rides... i actually think it's more funny that your complianing.

as i am going to take all the credits at sfgadv. i must be very disappointant to hear that they going to tear down the robin and chiller. I know 6 flags parks are "very" bad (That is just an opinion) but when they remove 1 or more coasters from the park I must say that they are just doing their normal thing.

I happen to agree with your opinion on the six flags parks being bad. Maybe I was just spoiled by going to Busch Gardens Europe & Hershey Park. Lately it's like every time Six Flags puts in a new ride they take out two to compensate. I just don't get what there trying to do. Now there is like nothing over in that section of the park.

I'll offer 100 to 1 odds that The Chiller is melted down for soda cans. Imagine trying to auction off this sucker:

"Come buy this great coaster that Six Flags tried to fix for 10 years, but failed! Act now to get in on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to buy a coaster that will kill your maintenance budget and disappoint guests with constant downtime."

The new owner would also probably lose the Batman and Robin theme, which doesn't help either.

Doesn't Kings Dominion "need" another launch coaster or two?

^Yea, especially if they take out Hypersonic this off-season.

^^As for there being nothing over in that section, there is a rumor of a enclosed Mack coaster themed to the upcoming Batman movie going by FreeFall's old spot. ...so who knows, maybe there will actually be a ride that's open in that section next year or in 09'.

I happen to agree with your opinion on the six flags parks being bad. Maybe I was just spoiled by going to Busch Gardens Europe & Hershey Park. Lately it's like every time Six Flags puts in a new ride they take out two to compensate. I just don't get what there trying to do. Now there is like nothing over in that section of the park.

Hersheypark - 10 Coasters

BGE - 5 Coasters

Great Adventure - 12 Coasters (After The Chiller Removal)

I don't get your complaint. Great Adventure still has an absurdly good coaster collection; better than what Hershey or BGE has, especially Hershey.

The Chiller had a lot of problems, which they had spent years trying to fix. Eventually you have to just give up. Why not say Premier sucks since they're more to blame for this ride sucking than Six Flags is?

Six Flags bashing is so three years ago.