TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

There were many coaster that had the one speed lift but most have been change due to many factors, some are spacing issues, others are maintance issues.

I remember when Texas Giant had that one speed lift and you had the little contance speed that put a kick into it. and the speed coming off the lift will affect the whole ride, speed wise that is.

Also if there was any GP that complained they might have slowed it down due to insurance reasons. Have seen that before.

^absolutely wrong, no scientific basis for this assumption. The majority of the coasting speed is the result of the gravity pulling the train down the first hill.

He is actually right, not to that dramatic of a speed difference but you do lose speed down the first drop from being slower at the top of the lift hill.

Agreed you lose speed by the end of the ride but not the whole 10MPH difference!

I love all the fanboys saying there's no difference...then in the same sentence saying "but you don't get yanked over the first drop as good anymore"!!! Then there *IS* a difference!

I'm sure the ride is still amazing, but as I posted a while ago, one of my favorite parts was hauling ass around the top them plummeting down and as some of you have fessed up to that part is changed now!

There is absolutely no difference but only in the turnaround and the bunny hop where there are a few uncomfortable bumps but thats it. I rode it six times this past Tuesday and telling you from a person with 23 rides on this beast..it may have slowed down but no to the point that its giving out floater air. I have feeling next year everything should be worked out because of the trains going through rehab.

/Cr98\

There is absolutely no difference but only in the turnaround and the bunny hop where there are a few uncomfortable bumps but thats it./Cr98\

OMG!!!

Again, boys...there can't be 'ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE' and then you go and say that there are more differences!!!!

I love all the fanboys saying there's no difference...then in the same sentence saying "but you don't get yanked over the first drop as good anymore"!!! Then there *IS* a difference!

I'm sure the ride is still amazing, but as I posted a while ago, one of my favorite parts was hauling a$$ around the top them plummeting down and as some of you have fessed up to that part is changed now!

I didn't as absolutely, I said there really wasn't a difference! It's only a slowed down lift. Trust us, the ride after that turn around and top of the drop is no different!

Also, the guests weren't complaining, the staff were getting reports about some things the train was doing that felt unsafe (I know, the lead op pulled me aside to ask me if something seemed different). GP don't even realize the difference. But I've seen this lift do different speeds to.

I've done it once where the lift came to a complete stop before releasing and then I've had it just slow down. But take my word, it's still El Toro

-Dainan " " Rafferty

Makes no difference to me...

Of course, I've never ridden it when the lift didn't slow down. Jay (ElToroExtreme) Told me that they had just changed the lift speed a few days before I got there.

So, the slowing of the lift is how my first ride was, and seems like this is the only way the rest of my rides will be.

Still my #1 woodie

Mike "Going back on July 16th for more rides" Redig

I can say, not as a fan boy, because I'm not, I'm just stuck living an hour away to the park, that after riding it 3 or 4 times last night, the ride AFTER the lift hill is the same, and, somehow, it's running surprisingly faster. The turn going into the drop is slower, obviously, but everything else is the same. There really is no reason for a 5 or 6 page rant saying "oh this sucks, this sucks" because until you've actually ridden it, there's no reason anyone can say the ride "Sucks now"

When I first heard about this happening, I was truly upset as well, but after my rides last night, it's still a fabulous ride. After talking with a few of my good friends that work up on Toro, I was told it was coming into the brakes about 2 or 3 seconds faster yesterday than it did the entire months of April/May.

Rob.

No matter how fast the train hits that first drop, it can still only go so fast due to the size of the wheels. There is no difference in the ride. In fact, as Rob mentioned above, its running faster than it ever has. My rides late Saturday night were the best I've ever gotten and thats with 60+ rides on it. Toro is even giving air on the final hop into the brakes

In my opinion, having the great anticipation at the top before going down that drop is even better now. And the whip effect in the very back is

No doubt, if in fact they replaced the wheels and the ride went faster. Then they slowed the lift. It would then be going as fast as ever.

Now if they did not make any modifications except slow the lift, then the ride will certainly be slower.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is not a good ride now. I never rode it so when i do, i am sure it will be awesome.

I am just saying that it is absolute fact that if the lift is slowed at the point the train disengages from it, it will in fact slow the whole ride down. That is just pure scientific proven fact.

Period.

I can't wait to ride it though. it still looks awesome.

I do feel sorry for all those who have ridden it prior cause i know it will feel less than it was to most.

Maybe we're all missing the bigger picture here. Six Flags is actually attending to, and trying to maintain their world-class woodie. If the experience is slightly altered a mph or two, it's much better than letting the whole thing turn to crap. It's really just nice to see a big chain doing what they should with a great ride. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, I'm still dying to get a ride on it.

They slowed the cable down so it doesn't tear any feet off.

Too soon!

Also, As far as i remember (and i remember Viper well, one of my favorite rides) Viper didn't slow down at the top.

I believe I may have ridden El toro with the slowed lift hill... just because my last ride.. I got off and was actually completely bored of the ride!...so I went over to Medusa and rode that 14 times. A day later i remember seeing the Gadv TR with the "Slowed lift hill". Me, i guess you could say being a Great Adventure fanboy... El Toro went from being my #1 coaster.. to.. umm.. below #10, and i've only been on 85 coasters. j2 = my new favorite woodie.

The difference doesn't look huge, but I'm sure its different. I will miss the thrill of the lift in itself, that first ride was an awesome surprise. However, I remember being PINNED to the lapbar on the first two, maybe even three hills, so I'd have to guess its still pretty damn good ejector even if the difference is noticable there. What I would worry about is the less-than-spectacular hills in the middle, and if the ride loses too much steam in the twists.

oh, and lol @ the teenage physicists thinking the change in final velocity is equal to the change in initial velocity. If it was that easy, maybe I would have done better in physics, and stuck with engineering.

No matter how fast the train hits that first drop, it can still only go so fast due to the size of the wheels. There is no difference in the ride. In fact, as Rob mentioned above, its running faster than it ever has. My rides late Saturday night were the best I've ever gotten and thats with 60+ rides on it. Toro is even giving air on the final hop into the brakes

In my opinion, having the great anticipation at the top before going down that drop is even better now. And the whip effect in the very back is

I want to say that Wade is right everyone...I did also get air in the back on the final hills...

Elissa,

The bumps I mentioned are probably because of the wheels being changed and the chassis being moved a little.

/Cr98\

I didn't as absolutely, I said there really wasn't a difference! It's only a slowed down lift. Trust us, the ride after that turn around and top of the drop is no different!

Also, the guests weren't complaining, the staff were getting reports about some things the train was doing that felt unsafe (I know, the lead op pulled me aside to ask me if something seemed different). GP don't even realize the difference. But I've seen this lift do different speeds to.

I've done it once where the lift came to a complete stop before releasing and then I've had it just slow down. But take my word, it's still El Toro

-Dainan " " Rafferty

Saying there's no difference between hurtling around the turn and leaping down the first drop and crawling around the turn and sliding down the first drop is like saying there's no difference between The Godfather and The Godfather with the first fifteen minutes lopped off...sure, the rest of the ride is the same but the rush of being tossed down that first drop is gone.

Assuming that the original speed was 15 mph and the new speed is 5 mph, that would mean that there's a loss of 10 mph throughout the whole ride.

Errmmmm...no. Vf2=vi2+2ad, but if the new wheels improved the train's momentum, it is possible that the ride is completing its course faster than before. Both the new "improved" wheels and that formula show that the initial speed is not as big of a factor as many of the posts in here would lead you to believe.

oh, and lol @ the teenage physicists thinking the change in final velocity is equal to the change in initial velocity. If it was that easy, maybe I would have done better in physics, and stuck with engineering.

"yay, I R FSICS"

Seriously though, if they really did manage to get wheels with bearings that are more suited to maintaining speed, the first drop may not be the exact same, but the following hills (especially on the back run and the RT hill) would be as fast or faster than before. And the twister portion might have airtime instead of dying like it did last year.

I've done it once where the lift came to a complete stop before releasing and then I've had it just slow down. But take my word, it's still El Toro.

-Dainan " " Rafferty

Saying there's no difference between hurtling around the turn and leaping down the first drop and crawling around the turn and sliding down the first drop is like saying there's no difference between The Godfather and The Godfather with the first fifteen minutes lopped off...sure, the rest of the ride is the same but the rush of being tossed down that first drop is gone.

Okay! I've had it! Unless you've ridden it before and after! You have no right to make opinions! So shut it! It's slightly different, the top of the drop! WOW! The worlds going to end! Don't get me wrong, I'd preffer to have the bit of speed, but it's really no different. If you sit anywhere except for the first 3 cars, it doesn't feel different!

-Dainan "Listen to the people who have ridden it. We are all saying the same thing!" Rafferty

I've done it once where the lift came to a complete stop before releasing and then I've had it just slow down. But take my word, it's still El Toro.

-Dainan " " Rafferty

Okay! I've had it! Unless you've ridden it before and after! You have no right to make opinions! So shut it! It's slightly different, the top of the drop! WOW! The worlds going to end! Don't get me wrong, I'd preffer to have the bit of speed, but it's really no different. If you sit anywhere except for the first 3 cars, it doesn't feel different!

-Dainan "Listen to the people who have ridden it. We are all saying the same thing!" Rafferty

Oy! Both of you! Calm down!

I agree you can't have a REAL opinion unless you ride something for yourself, but you also shouldn't go around telling people to "shut it."

While I can "listen" to the people who have ridden it, I'm not going to pass any judgement until I ride again for myself.

This reminds me when Disney trimmed California Screamin' and all the Disneyland fanboys told me "Oh, it really doesn't affect the ride at all." And then I rode it and most of the airtime was gone from the bunny hills.

Not that I am doubting anyone, but I just won't believe it doesn't affect it until I ride it.

--Robb

-Dainan " " Rafferty

Oy! Both of you! Calm down!

I agree you can't have a REAL opinion unless you ride something for yourself, but you also shouldn't go around telling people to "shut it."

While I can "listen" to the people who have ridden it, I'm not going to pass any judgement until I ride again for myself.

This reminds me when Disney trimmed California Screamin' and all the Disneyland fanboys told me "Oh, it really doesn't affect the ride at all." And then I rode it and most of the airtime was gone from the bunny hills.

Not that I am doubting anyone, but I just won't believe it doesn't affect it until I ride it.

--Robb

Sorry about my reaction . I'm over protective of my ride...damn I am a GA Fanboy! Anyway, you are 100% right where you won't know unless you ride it.

-Dainan "Once again, coming from the Thunder Dolphin fan!" Rafferty

While waiting in line for my first night ride on Kingda ka it broke @10:59. Usually they send you home , but not this night. I was lucky enough to be sent to El Toro at 11:10pm Again being Lucky, I sat in the Front Row. This had to be one of the fastest laps I have ever been on. The lift still clunks and speeds you up 3/4 of the way until the train is one length from cresting the top. At this the point I've ridden it were it either crawls around the turn, or it's going around five or eight mph.

While ridding in the back earlier that night I still got the same feeling as being pull over from the drop and slamming my thighs into the lapbar. Let alone that crazy Ejector air coming over Rolling Thunder. (you know the part where it actually seems you might get tossed out and land on Kingda ka) Well, that's still there as well as the insane speed the train picks up going through the twister part.

Did I mention they sent us around a second time that night. Both rides were incredible and so far my most enjoyable to date. This is also being said after I rode a dozen or so times on Media day which were good , but no where compared to what happened last Saturday night.

Will I miss the speed around the turn, sure ! But... did it effect the ride after the drop, No.