TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Thank you to michaellynn4 for posting this picture on TPR today (originally posted on GA Roundtable FB page)

So let the speculation begin on whose getting a T-Rex!

What is this a picture of? Location? Any actual info?

This is the past site of Batman and Robin: The Chiller's station (which has just been 100% demolished), and the land seems to be in good shape, and so people are speculating a RMC steel coaster to go in the space. The queue is still in good condition (clearly), so there's a lot to work with!

maxresdefault.jpg

Definitely looking likely we are getting the first all-steel RMC.

That's a hell of a leap to make just because they demolished a mostly unused coaster station while they already had a crew in the park demolishing other unused and useless buildings.

I was thinking the same thing. Just because an unused building gets demolished doesn't instantly mean the park is getting a new coaster.

"Maintenance just trimmed a hedge, looks like a new flat is coming our way!"

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be able to fancy a guess as to where the first T-Rex would go. Sure, potentially SFGAdv could get one, but it has an equal chance with every other popular park in the world. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Although a coaster would be fantastic! I can wait till 2018 to get one, especially if its a T-Rex. The Justice League dark ride would fill many of the parks needs (dark ride, indoor ride for all types of park guests, plus everyone loves shooting dark rides, especially 3D ones!!). Whether its in Old Country or the Boardwalk, or even none of the two. And if its not a coaster or dark ride, im sure whatever we are getting in 2017 will make the park much better than it already is. For now, can we just wait till The Joker opens and then progress with some serious talk about a 2017 Coaster?

That's a hell of a leap to make just because they demolished a mostly unused coaster station while they already had a crew in the park demolishing other unused and useless buildings.

I was thinking the same thing. Just because an unused building gets demolished doesn't instantly mean the park is getting a new coaster.

When has SF ever spent money to demo something in one of their parks just for the hell of it? Like um never!!! The RMC concept was shown in a SFGADv survey, RMC started the concept has be bought, RMC comes out with new coaster type and two parks SFGADv/SFMM starts quietly deconstruction of building that's been sitting around for years unused my bad if people around here can't add things up that's obvious

The thing is, is that it isn't as obvious as you think it might be. You said that it was shown in a SFGADv survey, but then go on to say that SFGADv AND SFMM start clearing out unused buildings. Where did SFMM come into this? Does that mean it is also getting one, or would it be more reasonable to think that perhaps they are clearing those lots for different projects. For all we know, you may be right, but it is far too early to start speculating what park might get one.

When has SF ever spent money to demo something in one of their parks just for the hell of it? Like um never!!! The RMC concept was shown in a SFGADv survey, RMC started the concept has be bought, RMC comes out with new coaster type and two parks SFGADv/SFMM starts quietly deconstruction of building that's been sitting around for years unused my bad if people around here can't add things up that's obvious

Thats exactly it though--they're already tearing down two other structures for the Joker, so they very well could've negotiated this while in the process. Sources at GAH (again, very reliable) say they had to pay small electric fees to keep the building standing each year, so they were paying to keep a structure up for almost a decade that was used sparingly during Fright Fest. They might actually be saving money by tearing it down.

Although a coaster would be fantastic! I can wait till 2018 to get one, especially if its a T-Rex. The Justice League dark ride would fill many of the parks needs (dark ride, indoor ride for all types of park guests, plus everyone loves shooting dark rides, especially 3D ones!!). Whether its in Old Country or the Boardwalk, or even none of the two. And if its not a coaster or dark ride, im sure whatever we are getting in 2017 will make the park much better than it already is. For now, can we just wait till The Joker opens and then progress with some serious talk about a 2017 Coaster?

Thats exactly it though--they're already tearing down two other structures for the Joker, so they very well could've negotiated this while in the process. Sources at GAH (again, very reliable) say they had to pay small electric fees to keep the building standing each year, so they were paying to keep a structure up for almost a decade that was used sparingly during Fright Fest. They might actually be saving money by tearing it down.

Someone refresh my memory, I haven't been to the park since 2012, but is Old country in use at all anymore? Last I recall the park ended at Dark Knight and while the pathway existed there was no reason to go around the corner to where Chiller and Autobahn used to be. Are Garden of Eatin' and those horrible cabanas still in use?

Someone refresh my memory, I haven't been to the park since 2012, but is Old country in use at all anymore? Last I recall the park ended at Dark Knight and while the pathway existed there was no reason to go around the corner to where Chiller and Autobahn used to be. Are Garden of Eatin' and those horrible cabanas still in use?

They're all closed off to the public except for specific days of the operating season and during Holiday in the Park when the path through Old Country was used as a walkthrough. I couldn't make the drive up to the park this winter to check out the event so I'm not one to say what could or couldn't be seen by the public.

^I'm not worried about what could or couldn't be seen, just about the level of use the area generally gets. Yeah, Chiller was compact-ish, but if you take into account the entire spread of Old Country going from the stunt show arena all the way up to Spinmeister, plus the massive chunk of land for Garden Of Eatin', that's a ton of expansion room.

Garden of Eatin' is still regularly used for large functions, including some as recent as Holiday in the Park. Autobahn is also still standing, as are the games and old food stands next to it, but that's about it. Musik Express is completely gone and the Spinmeister area is empty.

They demolished the other buildings for a major purpose. While they could have contracted a deal to make demolishing Chiller's station cheaper, it is still a pretty substantial cost tearing down a building of that size...far more than mostly unused electrical bills. After 9 year, I highly doubt they would year it down without ANY purpose beyond simply not having it anymore.

Context clues lead me to the RMC, but it is far from a certainty. However, I am quite certain with this and Musik Express being removed, and SF stating they want no dead areas, that Old Country will be revitalized for the 2017 season. At that point, I don't think they would put in that work without adding a centerpiece attraction to draw the crowds over there. We are getting a 4D this year, a JL dark ride would go in the sim building if anywhere, and that leaves a Premier or RMC as the only likely additions given SF's additions the last 5 years.

They demolished the other buildings for a major purpose.

Yes, but the T Rex thing is still a major stretch.

I think it is looking likely...far from being certain about it like some people, but it's definitely looking more and more likely in the next year or two. Besides maybe a Premier, I cannot foresee any other coaster type coming to the park in the next few years besides an RMC. The cost compared to a B&M, the reliability compared to Intamin, the appeal compared to any other manufacturer, and their recent relationship makes it the next logical step.

My only skepticism is when it happens. Before this happened, my gut was leaning towards a JL dark ride. But these 2 removals, OC being a dead area with prime real estate, the survey, the huge cashflow the park pumped in last year plus HITP, and what I mentioned in the first paragraph makes it really start looking very conceivable.

It's just my opinion, and I am not sure enough to put my word on it for confirmation. Can't wait to follow that area closely throughout the year, as if they do consider renovating Old Country plus adding a new coaster, major prep work will be underway as summer starts kicking into gear. Also will keep an eye on the sim building as that would be the logical location for a JL dark ride. Can't wait!

I think it's pretty clear Great Adventure has plans to do something with Old Country, it's just really pushing it to say that demolishing an old station confirms it's a T-rex. They've probably been planning to re-open the section at some point for a number of years now and are just waiting for the right time. Say they were able to cut a deal with the construction company demolishing the other structures for the Joker to get rid of the Chiller's station, so why not? It very likely has nothing to do with a T-rex coaster in 2017 though.

And ^^ B&M didn't change what elements they use on their coasters, they actually do way, way more unique stuff than they used to. It's just engineered to be lighter on the forces in recent years, so I have no idea where you got that from.

I think it's pretty clear Great Adventure has plans to do something with Old Country, it's just really pushing it to say that demolishing an old station confirms it's a T-rex. They've probably been planning to re-open the section at some point for a number of years now and are just waiting for the right time. Say they were able to cut a deal with the construction company demolishing the other structures for the Joker to get rid of the Chiller's station, so why not? It very likely has nothing to do with a T-rex coaster in 2017 though.

And ^^ B&M didn't change what elements they use on their coasters, they actually do way, way more unique stuff than they used to. It's just engineered to be lighter on the forces in recent years, so I have no idea where you got that from.

No one except "you know who" says anything is confirmed...just looking likely. Yes, I am sure they cut a deal to make it cheaper...but it's still an expensive job. Way moreso than the small electric bill on a largely unused building. I doubt after 9 years of vacancy with plenty of other demolition crews come and gone (as recently as 2013/2014 with RT) that they would take it down for no reason. I'm 99% sure they have plans for Old Country in the next year or two. Context clues point to a new coaster in the area, with only Premier and RMC being likely candidates.

I do think it is very possible IF the park is to receive an RMC, that the Raptor design could be added instead of the T-Rex. Since it will be a prototype, I am not sure RMC or the park would go balls-first for the prototype.

No one except "you know who" says anything is confirmed...just looking likely. Yes, I am sure they cut a deal to make it cheaper...but it's still an expensive job. Way moreso than the small electric bill on a largely unused building. I doubt after 9 years of vacancy with plenty of other demolition crews come and gone (as recently as 2013/2014 with RT) that they would take it down for no reason. I'm 99% sure they have plans for Old Country in the next year or two. Context clues point to a new coaster in the area, with only Premier and RMC being likely candidates.

I do think it is very possible IF the park is to receive an RMC, that the Raptor design could be added instead of the T-Rex. Since it will be a prototype, I am not sure RMC or the park would go balls-first for the prototype.

Yeah that's exactly why I said that it's pretty clear the park is going to do something with the area in the future. I never said they're removing it just for cost-saving purposes, I just don't think it's right to jump the gun right now and say it's a 2017 (or even 2018) all-steel RMC coaster. The Joker went vertical like two weeks ago... let's take it one step at a time here.