TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The park said they are replacing Rolling Thunder with a walk through safari area.

They commented in the press release that you would be walking past animals on your way to the new ride.

Can you post a link to this press release?

I would not be surprised to see a walk through area, but I'm confused why they shut down the existing animal encounter area this year.

Didn't they say in the Zumanjaro release that the baboons were getting a home along the new path back to the tower?

The park said they are replacing Rolling Thunder with a walk through safari area.

They commented in the press release that you would be walking past animals on your way to the new ride.

Can you post a link to this press release?

I would not be surprised to see a walk through area, but I'm confused why they shut down the existing animal encounter area this year.

Didn't they say in the Zumanjaro release that the baboons were getting a home along the new path back to the tower?

My bad, you are correct?

I had heard a rumor early in the year that the baboons would have a new home next year but forgot that it was confirmed in that press release.

Would someone be able to quickly let me know if there are seat belts on the Safari trucks? My aunt wants to do the Safari tomorrow, but she's afraid that she might be too big for any seat belts. I haven't ridden it yet this year, and I couldn't find any reviews or photos mentioning them.

Looking for some advice on a visit next Saturday (9/28).

1.) How long is the usual wait these days for the Safari Adventure? Is this something we should do first?

2.) We have never been to SFGAdv for Fright Fest. Which mazes are a MUST do? Which can be skipped?

3.) Do some of the mazes open earlier than others?

4.) Are any of the shows worth seeing? If so, do any run during the day?

Thanks! I know time will be limited, want to be prepared!

The safari can get a 2+ hour line, there are signs at the park entrance and ride entrance warning the wait can be up to 3 hours. I would get there at opening and go to it right away. The only problem with that is since the ride takes over an hour you probably won't be done with the ride until around 12:00 and then will only have a little amount of time to get some rides in without a long wait before the crowds start really picking up.

The indoor mazes open at I think 2:30 and the outdoor ones open at either 6:30 or 6:45. I haven't been in any of the mazes so I don't know which ones could be skipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Actual six flags website says...

Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder has been shocking riders full of thrills for nearly 30 years. This classic, dual-track wooden roller coaster features an 85-foot drop and 10 great hills to cruise.

Rolling Thunder is temporarily closed.

Planning to head to the park tomorrow with the girlfriend for Fright Fest.

Is the best bet for discounted tickets the Coke Promotion through their website? I see the tickets are $54.99 a piece, whereas gate price is $65.99. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the best bet for discounted tickets the Coke Promotion through their website? I see the tickets are $54.99 a piece, whereas gate price is $65.99. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you think you are going to go to the park at least once next year, you are better off buying season passes. A regular season pass is $73 and is good for the rest of this year and all of next year or for $100 you can get the gold pass which includes parking (which would probably be worth it since parking costs $25 a day).

If you think you are going to go to the park at least once next year, you are better off buying season passes. A regular season pass is $73 and is good for the rest of this year and all of next year or for $100 you can get the gold pass which includes parking (which would probably be worth it since parking costs $25 a day).

Thanks, YoshiFan! Much appreciated!

So went to the park yesterday (Saturday) - quick summary / thoughts:

[*]Was ridiculously PACKED - there for six hours and only got on El Toro, Kingda Ka, Bizzaro, and Skyscreamer. I also ate, but everything had at least a 45 minute wait at all times (most of the time more than an hour). This even includes when the lines were long for the Fright Fest attractions

[*]Got my season pass processed - waited about 25 minutes. Appeared to be the same amount of time for rest of the day.

[*]Saw a ROLLBACK on Kingda Ka while in line - highlight of the day

[*]Fright Fest was well done. I love how they got rid of safety whistles. A lot of characters out and the actors seemed into it.

[*]The haunted attractions are a little pricy for my liking. Still have never done them.

[*]Still annoying how that pathway that used to be between Kingda Ka and El Toro is closed (have to walk all the way around to the boardwalk section

[*]I wish the park had signs throughout or an app that showed wait times. Walked 15-20 minutes to El Toro at one point only to find out it was closed. Also, we still need more single rider lines.

[*]Got free parking yesterday with my 2014 Season Pass, which I wasn't expecting. Nice.

In the end, although the day was a bit of a letdown, I still love Six Flags and plan to go back next year with the season pass I picked up (thanks for the tip Yoshi).

Today was the Key Club Day... Full queues for all the coasters. The ride operators were awesome though. There was no stacking on any of the coasters... Except Bizarro, which was double stacking with a full queue.

Nitro was running really rough. The bottom of the first drop really shook us around. One of the trains was making a weird screeching noise when it went through the turn around before the lift. Everything about Nitro needs a refurbishment. The turn before the lift looks awful. It was a mixture of gum, fading paint, dirt, and bird poop. The front of the station looks awful. The queue looks awful. The trains look awful. The seat next to me was wrapped in duct tape. It's a shame...

Batman was running amazing today though. I got a ride on the rebuilt train. There wasn't a single moment of headbanging.

It doesn't look like anything has been done to Rolling Thunder. The track looked really rusty (probably from all the rain and no trains on it in the past month).

I'm guessing that this will go up very quickly.

I hope you're right, I'm expecting it to open in late June and I'm expecting Kingda Ka to be closed for the first few months of the season while they work on it. Label me a pessimist if you want but when June rolls around we'll see if the ride is open yet.

Went to the park Saturday from open till close. It was not that crowded when it first opened. We bought the platinum Flash pass because we figured once it later the lines would get really long. We were right. Every coaster had at least a 45 min wait - even skull mountain had a almost full queue. Even some flats had a 30 minute wait.

We rode every coaster in about 2 hours and ended up getting every coaster several times throughout the day. Having the platinum pass really helped and I love that you can ride twice in a row. Riding all the coasters at night made it pretty awesome. The longest line we waited in was Houdini - about 25-30 minutes. It kept going down all day but eventually it was able to stay open.

I did not like that you had to pay for all but one haunted walk through. We skipped them all. They are way over priced. The make up on the haunts that were walking around was really good this year. The zombies in the main plaza were my favorite. They were really into it. I love that ones dragging the shovels.

I'm guessing that this will go up very quickly.

I hope you're right, I'm expecting it to open in late June and I'm expecting Kingda Ka to be closed for the first few months of the season while they work on it. Label me a pessimist if you want but when June rolls around we'll see if the ride is open yet.

I would hope it could be open by opening day or close to it.

Went to the park Saturday from open till close. It was not that crowded when it first opened. We bought the platinum Flash pass because we figured once it later the lines would get really long. We were right. Every coaster had at least a 45 min wait - even skull mountain had a almost full queue. Even some flats had a 30 minute wait.

We rode every coaster in about 2 hours and ended up getting every coaster several times throughout the day. Having the platinum pass really helped and I love that you can ride twice in a row. Riding all the coasters at night made it pretty awesome. The longest line we waited in was Houdini - about 25-30 minutes. It kept going down all day but eventually it was able to stay open.

I did not like that you had to pay for all but one haunted walk through. We skipped them all. They are way over priced. The make up on the haunts that were walking around was really good this year. The zombies in the main plaza were my favorite. They were really into it. I love that ones dragging the shovels.

I frankly can't believe the amount they charge for the Haunted Attractions - I believe $15-$20 per one after already paying admission. Seriously? Sorry, but I feel like I'm getting ripped off and am not willing to support that.

People say the economy is in the toilet, but I have to question that, given how crowded the park was on Saturday. How on earth do so many people afford this? Tickets are $70 a pop after taxes, $25 for parking, each meal is at least $10-$15 a person.