TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

JACKSON — In a series of hotel concepts with shopping space and nightclubs, state and local leaders have laid out their visions for developing a rural area of Jackson near Six Flags Great Adventure.

In a 61-page plan released recently, the state Division of Community Affairs’ Local Planning Services and a team of students from the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s College of Architecture & Design illustrated their ideas for bringing a 600-room hotel and adjacent attractions to the township.

“This is something that we were trying to do for many years,” Councilman Kenneth Bressi said.

Three years, in fact. Mayor Michael Reina proposed the plan for a hotel in the area around Six Flags Great Adventure in 2011 at a gathering of state officials and potential investors at the theme park.

With about 3 million people visiting Six Flags’ theme park and adjacent water park every year, and no hotel within nine miles, Jackson officials hope such a structure will keep visitors longer and entice them to spend more money at surrounding businesses.

“It’s a subject whose time has come,” said township Councilman Robert Nixon, who chairs the township’s Economic Development Committee. “The possibility’s there, and we should go out and grab it.”

The DCA and NJIT concept examines four sites adjacent to or near Six Flags’ parks, proposes monorails or high-wire gondola transportation systems, and layouts plans for nightclubs, shopping centers and spas surrounding an array of hotel designs.

“Without a doubt I’d love to see a project of this magnitude up in Jackson,” said Joe Fiero, a member of the township’s Economic Development Committee. “It’s way past time.”

“In the past, the landowners and the interested parties just have not been able to come together,” he added. “We’re hoping that at this point in time, the scope of the project (and) the economy will make some real excitement… and maybe we’ll get a shovel in the ground.”

The motivation for Jackson’s elected officials is clear.

“The main purpose of every economic plan is to reduce the burden of taxes on the residents, the municipal portion of it (the tax bill),” Reina said.

The township's residential tax base is worth about $5.8 billion, while its commercial area is assessed at $607 million. Jackson's residential-to-commercial ratio for tax collection is about 87 percent to 9 percent.

Reina and Bressi said the new hotel concept, which was funded by the DCA, coincides with a television segment set to air on the “Today in America” show, which broadcasts on FOX Business Network and CNN Headline News. The segment will promote Jackson as one of the best places in the country to live, play and work, Reina said.

With the completion of the “Today in America” filming, “we have a complete package to show people,” Bressi said.

In the next step toward realizing their goal, Jackson officials will send the DCA-NJIT concept and “Today in America” segment to hotel chains, hoping to attract a developer.

Nixon said Jackson residents will have a venue to host weddings, proms and large parties, or have a place where community organizations can meet.

I'd like to point out that Six Flags is not behind any of these plans.

^ Even though Six Flags is not behind the plans for the hotel according to the article, is the location of the hotel on Six Flags' property? It looks like it would be, being across from Hurricane Harbor but you never know. The article makes it seem like city officials are planning this without Six Flags involvement. I'm guessing it could be without their involvement because the site could not be on Six Flags property but I have no idea.

^I think the land you outlined is currently owned by SF, but I'm not sure. It is quite possible that Six Flags would lease the land to the operator of the hotel, catering, shopping complex. That would guarantee Six Flags revenue while leaving the logisitcs to a third party.

Hey does anyone know what day Fright Fest preview night is for season pass holders or if they're even having one this year? I was hoping to go to it and it's usually in early September but I haven't heard a date.

I don't think they are having the preview this year since Fright Fest starts so early. The coupon for the free trail that is usually valid on that night is instead valid for all 3 days of opening weekend.

Will be visiting the park on 9/28, a few questions.

Thinking about getting a GOLD Fast Pass...worth it on a Saturday in late September?

Are the meal vouchers worth it? How much do they save you? They are $14.43 each online.

Thanks for the help!

I say it is a necessity because I think the last weekend in September is when the crowds start pouring in for Fright Fest, others say it's not until the first weekend in October. I'd play it by ear on that morning and if you see bad crowds in the AM. Crowds will only going to get worse as the day goes on.

If I remember correctly the meal voucher saves a dollar or two, but I don't buy it since the meal come with fries that I never eat. If you would normally eat at one of the places it is offered and you would eat the whole meal it is cheaper with the meal voucher.

I'm thinking of going to the park Saturday to get my last rides in on Rolling Thunder, but the website says it's temporarily closed. Is this just a bunch of hooey, or is it really closed already? Also would a Flash Pass of any sort be necessary for 2 people, considering that schools just started back up?

The park is empty today, I didn't expect it to be very crowded but I also didn't expect all coasters to be a station wait or a walk on. Tomorrow and Thursday will probably be the same especially since they added these 3 days to the calendar only a few weeks ago so many people probably don't even know the park is open.

Edited by YoshiFan

^ Even though Six Flags is not behind the plans for the hotel according to the article, is the location of the hotel on Six Flags' property? It looks like it would be, being across from Hurricane Harbor but you never know. The article makes it seem like city officials are planning this without Six Flags involvement. I'm guessing it could be without their involvement because the site could not be on Six Flags property but I have no idea.

The land IS NOT owned by Six Flags. This proposal, along with the designs created, is just something the state and the township is illustrating to show how successful a "resort" in the area will be. The designs are obviously not what will be built, if it is ever built, but just a "commercial" with concept drawings to try and get potential investors interested so this project could go forward. Will it ever happen? Probably not. They have tried to do this once before and it failed do to the economy. Maybe with the proposed designs and explaining how it could be a win-win for everybody, "some" interest will be created. The state and township are just pushing for this because they know it will create some money in their pockets.

This is also something COMPLETELY different then Jackson Twenty-One which of course got the townships approval but has YET to move forth. I highly doubt this project will ever see the light of day either.

My opinion, Jackson is just trying to figure out more ways for them to make money from the park. Seeing they can't raise the cost of parking anymore at Great Adventure (yep, they are the reason why parking is so extreme) they are just trying to find any other way to fill their pockets.

The land IS NOT owned by Six Flags. This proposal, along with the designs created, is just something the state and the township is illustrating to show how successful a "resort" in the area will be. The designs are obviously not what will be built, if it is ever built, but just a "commercial" with concept drawings to try and get potential investors interested so this project could go forward. Will it ever happen? Probably not. They have tried to do this once before and it failed do to the economy. Maybe with the proposed designs and explaining how it could be a win-win for everybody, "some" interest will be created. The state and township are just pushing for this because they know it will create some money in their pockets.

This is also something COMPLETELY different then Jackson Twenty-One which of course got the townships approval but has YET to move forth. I highly doubt this project will ever see the light of day either.

My opinion, Jackson is just trying to figure out more ways for them to make money from the park. Seeing they can't raise the cost of parking anymore at Great Adventure (yep, they are the reason why parking is so extreme) they are just trying to find any other way to fill their pockets.

not sure but the land may be owned by six flags as of right now, but could possibly be sold as a hotel would obviously benefit the park.....

not sure but the land may be owned by six flags as of right now, but could possibly be sold as a hotel would obviously benefit the park.....

It will be sad when Rolling Thunder leaves the park. WIkipedia says either another park will buy it, or Dun dun DUUUUUUNNNNN!!!! it will be DEMOLISHED

Wikipedia is about as reliable as asking the guy on the dippin dots stand what is going to happen to the ride.

It will be sad when Rolling Thunder leaves the park. WIkipedia says either another park will buy it, or Dun dun DUUUUUUNNNNN!!!! it will be DEMOLISHED

It would be cool if two different parks bought each side, but it will most likely be demolished.

It will defiantly e demolished - Why would anyone want to buy it? Way too much effort for a boring ride without much history.

These coaster protests don't ever stop being funny.

Great Adventure doesn't care how many signatures you have on a sheet of paper (or in this case on a website). If you love the ride so much, you should have ridden it more often. They could have had a billion signatures and nobody would care if it wasn't a reflection of the numbers on the turnstiles.

If everyone actually loved Rolling Thunder as much as they apparently do now, then it would have had a 2 hour line every day and if that were the case the park would never be removing it. The truth is that Rolling Thunder is a mediocre coaster. We spent the last few years trying to like this ride whenever we went to the park. We rode it in the front, the middle, the back, in the pouring rain, at night... everything. No matter where or when we rode this ride it provided no airtime at all, no good laterals and really nothing to make it an interesting ride. Rolling Thunder is one of the most forgettable, mediocre coasters I've ever ridden and I can't make myself care that it's being removed.

The biggest complaint by these people seems to be that without Rolling Thunder, Great Adventure doesn't have a coaster for kids who are too old for the kiddy coasters but not ready for the full sized rides yet but I don't get this argument at all. Rolling thunder IS a full size coaster. Also, they have Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train, Skull Mountain, Dark Knight and Runaway Mine Train, so they have plenty of rides for this age group.

Great Adventure is my home park and I can't even make myself care enough to go today. Even if I did, I'd probably ride it once (or not at all if it had a long line since it's being removed after today) and then go ride Nitro, El Toro, Batman, Bizarro, Kingda Ka or any of the other coasters that are better than Rolling Thunder.

Rode it last night for the last time in the front row after a 40 minute wait. I do have to say that it was one of my better rides on it. Whatever they did when they closed it down mid-season has helped smooth it out a little on the straight sections, but it did skip on the hills a little. The final turn into the brakes was still horrible and threw me around quite a bit.

Am I sad to see it go? After this ride, yes, but Rolling Thunder was looking in pretty poor shape with a lot of the structure being half brown/black and white and the paint chipping. But I am actually looking more foreward to what the park will do in this space for 2015 and beyond. I think the people in the change.org group are not looking at the bigger picture and what possibilities it will open the park to down the road.

IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.a1d6ba668729f32cbbe77f3b3ce8751a.JPG

@Ultimate

Who knows, we can't predict the future. If I were an amusement park owner with so room that I needed to expand on, I would request Six Flags to sell this to me, only because it is a William Cob built coaster and it can be a little unique.

Really, I don't see any point of Rolling Thunder being demolished. The entrance and queue of Zumanjaro could be in the middle of Kingda Ka.