TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Maybe Im wrong but Im not so sure Intamin and RMC developed the IBox track together. Though it has been well documented that RMC did do the actual constructing of El Toro.

One would assume that RMC working with Intamins track/materials inspired the development of RMC's IBox/topper track a few years later.

I saw some new wood around El Toro today. From what I could tell, I did not see any in the turnaround but I saw some in between the second and third hill as well as on the pullout of the crossover hill entering the twister section. There may be more however as I wasn't looking around the entire ride for new track.

Also the A train's new paint absolutely looks fantastic. It hasn't been properly painted in years.

Somehow I totally missed this post Ryan and I just wanted to thank you for the update on my baby. I'm really stoked to hear its been testing and there is training going on. I know I am a geek but its so close to opening I think about riding it almost every day. Nah, probably multiple times a day.

OK I may have had a dream recently about waiting in the queue.

Please tell me some of you guys are as bad as I am.

Back to that new wood. Can we talk about wood? I don't mean to sound like an idiot here but I have some questions. Since the track is prefabricated wood stacks how to they replace/repair it? Are we talking removing entire sections where they connect and replacing them with new sections supplied by Intamin? The track sections essentially snap into place, correct?

Or could we be talking about just structural beams/bents being replaced? I'm sure the track sections between each of the first three big hills really needs some work with the train more or less smashing into it but that first turnaround REALLY needs the entire track ripped out and completely replaced, it's the only ride that you CANNOT say is still smooth.

Anyone have any real insight into maintaining pre-fab track/coasters as opposed to traditionally built woodies? SCHOOL A MOFO.

Haha no problem man! Also the bull seems to be running faster this preseason so hopefully it'll break into summer mode a little quicker than normal.

From what I can tell, they seem to cut the upper layers of the track off and replace them with new prefabricated sections. Im guessing the new sections are glued to the remaining layers of track just like the prefab track is made originally. And it seems they're using two types of wood to re-track. They're are lighter pieces of wood used on the valley between the first and second airtime hill this year as well as on the drop after the turnaround. And there is darker wood in the twister section. You can see it from the station. The darker wood is more like the original color the prefab track came in back in 2006.

And yes the track pieces easily snap into place. haha But they haven't replaced an entire piece of track yet. Just the upper layers with more prefab track. Also I haven't seen any new wood on the structure yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb03a7356ec6c031ab15a1e5bba4699c.jpeg

This pic is back from 2014 but it shows what the new wood looks like. This is the lighter wood color.

^ Just wait until you ride over that hump. In the forward facing rows it's fun, in the backwards facing rows you'll probably crap your pants.

I know which seat I'll gravitate towards now!!

I should clarify, since both rows do both directions. When in the loading station you want to be facing towards the lift hill, so when you're going up the lift you're facing away from the coaster.

I've always wondered this, but is there a reason why El Toro's lift was slowed down when it gets to the top? Did it affect the speed of the ride?

There is a reason... But I can't say. Lol It doesn't affect the speed of the ride though. Watch some of the first test runs in the morning though and you might just catch the lift running at its original speed

I got an email from GADv for a 48 hr sale of up to 2 Basic dining passes for $29.99 each, normally $169 online. It includes lunch and a snack each visit, the dining page says lunch is 11am-3pm. It seems like a great deal since we missed the sale for the other dining passes but am I missing anything? The Combo Gold passes are on sale on their website for $94.99 but we don't usually eat more than one meal in the park. Thoughts on if there will be other sales or should I snatch this up?

I got an email from GADv for a 48 hr sale of up to 2 Basic dining passes for $29.99 each, normally $169 online. It includes lunch and a snack each visit, the dining page says lunch is 11am-3pm. It seems like a great deal since we missed the sale for the other dining passes but am I missing anything? The Combo Gold passes are on sale on their website for $94.99 but we don't usually eat more than one meal in the park. Thoughts on if there will be other sales or should I snatch this up?

I'd grab it! Send us all the link so we can take advantage too! Figure this- an average lunch (food only, no beverage) runs $10- $14.....so for $29.99, you've got nothing to lose!

Sounds like a bad deal. No sports bottle. Should have just bought at the labor day sale of $84.99

So I have a "general" Six Flags question I'm gonna leave here.......Why does Six Flags seem to always place the same rides at different parks? It seems counter-intuitive me? Like if you have a brand new coaster concept at one park why place it a year or so later at another park? Aren't you just shooting yourself in the foot by pulling business away from your own properties? It just seems like a bad mistake. Maybe if you have a coaster like X2 at only one park, you get people to plan their vacations around coming to see that and spend money. But when you have the Batman and now Joker ride at different parks, you are ruining your own draw. Just seems weird to me that Six Flags likes to make all their parks "copy cat" so there really isn't a strong travel draw to bring people in. Or maybe they are just looking at it geographically and trying to pull from certain areas. Any thoughts?

So I have a "general" Six Flags question I'm gonna leave here.......Why does Six Flags seem to always place the same rides at different parks? It seems counter-intuitive me? Like if you have a brand new coaster concept at one park why place it a year or so later at another park? Aren't you just shooting yourself in the foot by pulling business away from your own properties? It just seems like a bad mistake. Maybe if you have a coaster like X2 at only one park, you get people to plan their vacations around coming to see that and spend money. But when you have the Batman and now Joker ride at different parks, you are ruining your own draw. Just seems weird to me that Six Flags likes to make all their parks "copy cat" so there really isn't a strong travel draw to bring people in. Or maybe they are just looking at it geographically and trying to pull from certain areas. Any thoughts?

The majority of the general public don't know or care that the same ride exists at another park. Enthusiasts do, but most of their visitors (who come from a local area) do not visit more than one Six Flags park. I can't tell you how many people I've met at school (I'm fairly local to SFMM) who were surprised to hear that there is more than one Superman or Batman ride, and better yet, more than one "Six Flags" park. I'm sure Six Flags wouldn't do it if it didn't work for them. Just my two cents.

The various Six Flags properties aren't competing against each other. Regional parks like Six Flags are called that because they draw most of their business from the surrounding area. Almost no one (besides enthusiasts) plans vacations around specific roller coasters, or even amusement parks in general, outside the big resort parks like Disney. Big business is all about minimizing risk, and once Six Flags has a proven model of ride like Batman that they know works and will be successful, it's much less of a risk to just plop one down in each park then come up with something new every time. It's also cheaper because designing new rides costs money. There are also always rumors of "package deals" where park chains save money by buying a lot of rides from one manufacturer all at once, like with the super loops, and I'm sure some of that is true.

The various Six Flags properties aren't competing against each other. Regional parks like Six Flags are called that because they draw most of their business from the surrounding area. Almost no one (besides enthusiasts) plans vacations around specific roller coasters, or even amusement parks in general, outside the big resort parks like Disney. Big business is all about minimizing risk, and once Six Flags has a proven model of ride like Batman that they know works and will be successful, it's much less of a risk to just plop one down in each park then come up with something new every time. It's also cheaper because designing new rides costs money. There are also always rumors of "package deals" where park chains save money by buying a lot of rides from one manufacturer all at once, like with the super loops, and I'm sure some of that is true.

Nailed it! This IS your answer!

Well with JL:BFM and Larson Super Loops going to every park, the most exciting attractions must be shared to get business. They're not Disney, where you get a new technology and use it once and improve it years later. They focus on affordable thrills in the cheapest way possible to get the max amount of money, in the shortest amount of time. Sad but true.

I'd grab it! Send us all the link so we can take advantage too! Figure this- an average lunch (food only, no beverage) runs $10- $14.....so for $29.99, you've got nothing to lose!

Thanks for confirming guys! I got the 2 passes. We always eat one meal, usually at that ice cream palace place, in the park and mom likes to get ice cream at the end of the night. I can only think of one visit where we got 2 meals. Since we drive from DC we often get to the park in the early afternoon. Knowing I could get a snack too would be pretty sweet! (Ha!)

Soooo who is all going Wednesday?

I know there's been a lot of talk around here about popping over on the weekend but my only other option is Sunday, and Wednesday is looking GORGEOUS and I just happened to get my shift covered! So I'll be there, at The Bull, bright and early Wednesday!

Lip-Balm-Excited.gif.11f82a31435d959a081c54ad3909cca9.gif