TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Awesome pics and reviews from the first opening days! We'll be there Wednesday. In order to see the new cubs, do you have to go on the whole safari? We will definitely be doing a lot of safari trips but seeing as we'll be getting to the park early/mid afternoon, not sure if we'll have time this trip. However I may be willing to bypass a few rides to see those cubs if they're part of the tour.

^^ The cubs are in Safari Discoveries which you can access right next to El Diablo or alternately over in the Golden Kingdom near the bathrooms. Its also a nice cut through to get between those areas without having to go through the Boardwalk. Make sure to check out the goats and the otters, they are adorable.

Boldikus- thanks for the write up! I enjoy reading your posts/perspective on the park! Good to know that I'm not the only one who gets a little "worn out" these days! My 45 year-old mind LOVES the idea of heights and speed, however- as I get older, my body can't seem to take these thrills as I once did!

On that note- although I have been on Kingda Ka (what seems like) 52,000+ times....for some reason, I had some anxiety going on it last night! The thought of all that force on my body (during the launch) was making me sick to my stomach! Of course- once we got going, my mind reminded me how much I love that frickin' first row!

And the same when my night ended.....I was marathoning Nitro, and I finally threw in the towel, as I was done! My mind said, "take advantage of the great weather + no lines".....but my body said "no mas!"

Final comment- yes, you/everyone is right about how "important" the addition of Joker is along the lake/at the end of Main Street. As I was one of three passenger's on Bizarro/Medusa last night....it got me thinking- what would the wait time be for this coaster, if it got planted at the end of Main Street?

I agreed I will no longer bash the newest additional- so I won't! (I think the comment that "someone" on this board posted, about sending a projectile missile my way did me in! ) Objectively though- based on the location, short ride time, capacity, and marketing......this puppy is gonna' have a hell of a wait!

Glad a few of you got to meet each other live and in person! Hope to do the same one day!

I have stamina for marathoning for sure (Coasterbill is not kidding about closing night, we had to have ridden Nitro 20xs that night) for me its the next-day-feel-like-you-worked-out feeling cause your body was literally tossed all over the place all day. For some reason Toro got my thighs Skyrush style this time. Even waking up Thursday I had pain right across where the lapbar sits. Its only done that once before, after riding it 8xs in a row at CAD last year, so I assume this time it was because I hadn't ridden anything in 2 months.

Also, I rarely ever get nausea from marathoning, I did once pretty bad after not eating dinner and then riding Bizarro 3xs without getting out of my seat. I know to eat before I ride now, always have to eat something before (just not right before) I go on a coaster. Swimming pool rule - wait 20-30 minutes before riding LOL.

Ka always gets my shoulders/collarbone, its just the way the hard shoulder restraints sit on them. I didn't bruise this time though but even today I can still feel tenderness at that spot on either side of my collarbone.

Swimming pool rule - wait 20-30 minutes before riding LOL.

I exercise the 3 second rule generally BUT the 20-30 minute rule applies for Holiday in the Park hot chocolate. No wonder there were so many protein spills on Nitro during HITP. It's delicious but what the hell???

Looks like I'll be heading back today with the full family. Going to be a more low key day of probably mostly flat rides and the like. If anyone spots me attempting to wrangle a preschooler wearing a bright orange SooperDooperLooper shirt, don't be shy!

At the park now. Place is a ghost town and El Toro is running like a dream. Only knock thus far is that literally none of the food locations on the east side of the park are open.

Edit: Nothing to eat on the west side either. Had to bite the bullet and buy an overpriced bag of Takis.

I ride Green Lantern and loved it!

-Said no one ever

Well, I like the layout, but the standing part sucks of course I got hurt on the ride and had to have my leg on the step the rest of the time to let it relax! I think they may have done the theming too quickly, because it was basically an ad for the new movie, and the standing part was based upon the storyline.

I think they may have done the theming too quickly, because it was basically an ad for the new movie, and the standing part was based upon the storyline.

lolwut.gif.09fc3ed1a4e09515c613aa668fcd51a2.gif

I assure you that the theming on Green Lantern was not done quickly. Every inch of blacktop was painstakingly placed by the Six Flags imagineers to ensure it was as immersive as possible. They spared no expense, the rumor is they hired the same company responsible for the Nitro theming.

Are you currently tap dancing like a Skeleton?

Oh I danced alright.

Edit: Just got home and wanted to give a few thoughts:

Ops were great all around. Very impressive especially for this early in the season. El Toro, Bizarro, and Batman were all running like dreams. Nitro was a little rickety, but I'll give it a pass because it was open until January.

My only complaint is that there was no place open to get food. Usually I wouldn't care because I avoid GAdv's food like the plague, but I was starving today and there was nowhere to stop. I understand they're short staffed, but how can you have no place open?

Despite that, it was great to be back in the saddle. The park looks great, and Joker blends in seamlessly. It's a very impressive sight in person; can't wait for it to open.

Ride count:

Mine Train 2x

Bizarro 2x

SORA

El Toro 2x

Boldikus Mountain 1x

Nitro 1x

Batman 1x

Edited by Genx24

I assure you that the theming on Green Lantern was not done quickly. Every inch of blacktop was painstakingly placed by the Six Flags imagineers to ensure it was as immersive as possible. They spared no expense, the rumor is they hired the same company responsible for the Nitro theming.

I accompanied Genx24 today so basically everything he said about the trip I agree with. Although I did have one of my best rides ever on El Toro today. Raining, front row...Wow it was HAULING. I think it had to do with the temperature being pretty warm still even though it was raining. The rain hitting my face combined with the hood from my sweater going over my head it made for a disorienting ride. Nick didn't ride with me that time but he said he heard my cackling from the midway during that ride.

Anyway here are a few pictures:

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.c250dcc2fa79300c98da2f43110e49ad.JPG

Joker from Main Street (I know we're all getting sick of this picture)

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.2b2cc27baca6dac38a3df97ffa037420.JPG

Standard photo op.

IMG_1207.thumb.JPG.5a14eda983b2e2bd98ee61e5e2158220.JPG

Ghost Town.

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.dd8fa3cba43f8fc9dd453b2b990eff39.JPG

Got double dips on this.

IMG_1209.thumb.JPG.c52e544421759e4c583e23e679f01617.JPG

For moment he was pacing back and fourth and it was getting me nervous since I was the closest target.

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.b84fbf929526390a9ed835cecb77cd14.JPG

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.456ceedf1aa75c58d34f15a23be72f3f.JPG

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.29f40e27f777bb7ce52ffb67b24131c2.JPG

More Joker.

IMG_1220.thumb.JPG.3cfb463ab3b60bccd0d6c822db86226a.JPG

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.d453b5add6656ed28d03a10ba47dc50e.JPG

Batman doing its thing as usual.

IMG_1224.thumb.JPG.2bc00606f5eb5f865a7f22739d493008.JPG

Nitro.

IMG_1225.thumb.JPG.7a915a3b159ff01c73f0e9c1659525d5.JPG

Some more clearance by Chiller.