TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Was at the park today from about 11:30 to 6, it wasn't dead but it was far from busy. About 20 minute waits for most things, sometimes less. Toro's operations are simply staggering. Massive props to ElToroRyan for running a tight ship. They managed to hit more dispatch intervals today than they did every time I went last year, combined. The Bull was running very sluggish today though, and my last ride on it ruined my back in the first turnaround. Not rough, just very bumpy and lots of lateral movement.

Kingda Ka was running mostly on a 1 to 1 with Zumanjaro. Sometimes they would get two launches in before Zumanjaro went though. Yellow train on Ka was having some difficulty making it over the top, and I was two trains away from a rollback. We were walking out of the Golden Kingdom, watching Ka launch, and we saw the yellow train roll back. Better luck next time I suppose!

Superman's operations were slower than usual today, it had about a 30-45 minute wait most of the day. Runaway Mine Train was running 1 train all day, with a decent wait. We chose to skip out on it because of the wait.

Overall it was a pretty great day. The food lines were by far the longest, and the midways were pretty jammed, but it was mostly families, lines for the good coasters were mostly minimal. Ka had about a 30-45 minute wait only because they were running 1 to 1 dispatches with Zumanjaro. Honestly if Zumi would have gone down for about 10 minutes, Ka would have emptied out it's entire queue line no problem. I have next to no interest in riding Zumanjaro, so to me that was a much bigger issue than anything else I ran in to today.

Don't know if this has been noticed or explained...why is Harley Quinn missing track?

Since it doesn't have a transfer track they remove that piece to remove and add the train.

Ah, same reason as Joker, which I asked about last week when I noticed that piece missing last week. Should have known that. Thanks for the response.

Anyway, as mentioned, I made a quick trip out to the park today. Stayed between 1:30-4:30. I really made it a point with my crazy schedule to visit the park since I work 12hr days every Saturday/Sunday, so this was one of the last times I could visit the park before it opens for full operation after Memorial Day.

Ride count:

El Toro 1x- magic seat

Kingda Ka 1x- front row

Skull Mountain 1x- back row

-Park was mildly crowded. Parking lot was a little over halfway full, El Toro was a 20min wait, KK was 30min, and Skull Mountain 10min. Midways seemed more crowded than ride lines would indicate.

-They are still running a thin crew with most food places closed. I was pleased to see pretty much every ride open, though, including Twister!

-The KK line stopper was awesome. Usually when they let you proceed to the station, it is bottled up and into the small switchback. When we got to the station it was almost completely empty...just a 2 train wait for the front row! When possible/reasonable, first row of KK is the only spot anyone should ever consider. Butter smooth and it still gets my heart racing after 11 years. I've also come to the conclusion that my favorite post-launch element is the speed hill. The top hat is cool, but Zumanjaro kind of ruined the height-factor since on that ride you get a better and more prolonged view. The speed hill is pretty amazing in the front row for sense of speed. Underrated, in fact.

-El Toro's A train (non-Kia) was running in mid-summer form today. Holy crap. Whenever you get airtime on the drop out of the turnaround, speed hill through the structure, and S-turn out of the twister section, you know it's a prime El Toro ride. Incredible airtime on the camelbacks. Everything felt twice as powerful as opening day in the Kia-mobile.

-As mentioned, the spin fins have been added to Joker. The crews were working hard on the ride the entire time I was there.

-Decided to showoff for my girlfriend and drop 8 bucks for the 3pt challenge, knowing I haven't played in years. Embarassed myself and the 10y.o after me beat me at it Did redeem myself with the traditional basketball game and won a hat, but my ego is bruised right now lol.

Pics:

20160330_140735.thumb.jpg.838d72dcb70a13e3b34d8c1681b7e100.jpg

Joker with an employee blocking guests from getting close to the fence.

20160330_144315.thumb.jpg.deba350ad18074ae97ec94bba3364506.jpg

Kingda Plane

20160330_154612.thumb.jpg.08e9cef9fbbee214d905ac79616fb165.jpg

Airtime...

20160330_154902.thumb.jpg.137af3d05e37d4e9805c1e27a0c7fcfb.jpg

In wheel seats, this spot has gotten very bumpy last 2 years. Hopefully, the park addresses this soon.

20160330_155137.thumb.jpg.5fff9ff5e9f55fa103243231918145a4.jpg

Ultra unique shot from smoking gazeebo.

20160330_160001.thumb.jpg.29ba5b944effe7f04ea54d9418eca345.jpg

Left Twix-Right Twix: The Ride

20160330_165306.thumb.jpg.5f4bb8658e6f588eaaf9690b5f6f6161.jpg

The skyline.

Don't know if this has been noticed or explained...why is Harley Quinn missing track?

Since it doesn't have a transfer track they remove that piece to remove and add the train.

Yep. This was talked about a couple months ago when someone noticed the piece missing and the board got all BLACKBEARDS GETTIN THE AXE!

CoasterFeed and his drama....

I heard the Flash Pass building was receiving some interior edits, any updates in that?

^ They're adding the VIP access for the ballers picking up their All $eason Gold Fla$h Pa$$e$ the park is rolling out...

at some point. none of this is confirmed. relax yall. (but you know its coming)

Ah, same reason as Joker, which I asked about last week when I noticed that piece missing last week. Should have known that. Thanks for the response.

It actually does have a transfer track though, but I can't really say much because I don't know about how they install on those coasters

It actually does have a transfer track though, but I can't really say much because I don't know about how they install on those coasters

...No it doesn't

There's not even a final brake zone. There's literally nowhere to park a train to take it off. There's only one train so it doesn't necessarily need one anyways.

Joker with an employee blocking guests from getting close to the fence.

Really? I wonder why. I was able to walk right along side the fence last Friday.

I believe it was because the fence was unlocked due to workers going in and out of the construction zone. They probably didn't want any GP sneaking into the construction area.

First time post

Was at the park from 11:30 to 7:30 today

Started out awesome with combined 30 minute wait for Batman, Nitro, and Skull mountain. After this I went to the boardwalk to play some games and I was VERY VERY upset with Six Flags and whoever they hire to run their games.

There is a bank a ball game that is played with a basketball. I dominated the game last year winning like 10 huge gorillas/bears and around 10 guitars that I either sold or gave away to charity. The problem this year is that the made the game IMPOSSIBLE to win. Yes I know the games are suppose to be tough but unless you're 8 feet tall it is impossible to get enough spin and angle on the ball in order for it to ride up the backboard and then fall in. I brought it up to the game manager and he/she? said was that they are not in charge of the games.

After that I decided to go get lunch with a buddy at the burger place called Garden State Diner or whatever its called. All I have to say is I waited 1.5 hours for the food and never got it. Had to ask for a refund and many others were waiting 45 minutes just for a simple order of fries.

Proceeded to go to all the other rides with my buddy whos never been to a 6 Flags. Went El Toro front row which he loved, Ka first row which he loved, and went on Bizarro, GL, Supes, etc. Funniest moment was when we went to Zumanjaro, he actually sat down, was about to pull the restraints down, and jumped out saying he couldn't do it

Overall a good day except for those two incidents

Went El Toro front row which he loved

You do realize you skipped the best ride in the park?

Part of me likes most folks not being aware of the amazing, far superior back car rides on this beast, but why oh why does anyone wait for the front row on El Toro? It's truly baffling to me. It always has SUCH a long long wait but just WHY.

Golden Rule of Toro: Once you go back you never go back.

Part of me likes most folks not being aware of the amazing, far superior back car rides on this beast, but why oh why does anyone wait for the front row on El Toro? It's truly baffling to me. It always has SUCH a long long wait but just WHY.

It's actually really fun up front and a nice change a pace. But like I always say, if you haven't ridden in the back, you haven't truly ridden El Toro.

I've never, ever been able to figure out that bank-a-ball thing. We never play games at corporate parks but at smaller parks where they give prizes and not tickets I love cleaning house at Skeeball. I'm awful at most other games though. Lol

Its actually an amazing ride in the front row. Is it always worth the wait when you can get a better experience in the back rows? No. But that doesn't mean you totally disregard the front. I had one of my best rides ever last week riding shotgun and thats saying a lot since I've been riding it many many times a year since 06.

I think the back is slightly better, but it is awesome in the front since you get the better view, and the wind going right in your face gives you a great sense of speed! But the back is much more forceful. Usually on less crowded days I ride the back and then wait a little extra for the front, too.

I took your advice about skull mountain in the back, that first drop had me completely out of my seat haha

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/SkullMountainQueue.htm

For the Skull Mountain fans, above is a great spotlight on the original queue, courtesy of Great Adventure History. Cool read and photos.

Yes indeed! It makes me sad that the ability to "stage" our rides can be good- but the business model/finances cannot sustain them (those pics on the link support this comment!) On that note- it pains me to this day to have seen the "best ever" for SFGA go to waste- The Golden Kingdom/Kingda Ka area of the park.....it was the perfect combo for me when my kids were little- mom kept them busy in the "new" kids area, while dad took on the beast! What a waste of money that (now closed) area of the park turned out to be.....including that stupid train that was never opened, because of the hazard it created around the climbing area!

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/SkullMountainQueue.htm

For the Skull Mountain fans, above is a great spotlight on the original queue, courtesy of Great Adventure History. Cool read and photos.

Yes indeed! It makes me sad that the ability to "stage" our rides can be good- but the business model/finances cannot sustain them (those pics on the link support this comment!) On that note- it pains me to this day to have seen the "best ever" for SFGA go to waste- The Golden Kingdom/Kingda Ka area of the park.....it was the perfect combo for me when my kids were little- mom kept them busy in the "new" kids area, while dad took on the beast! What a waste of money that (now closed) area of the park turned out to be.....including that stupid train that was never opened, because of the hazard it created around the climbing area!

Yeah, the Golden Kingdom is sad nowadays. When it opened it was really, really nice and a breath of fresh air. SF let it get rundown and a shell of its former self. Same thing with PDC to a lesser degree, although Macho Nacho is a great addition.