TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Here's a crazy idea: convert both Hurler and Grizzly into one big steel hybrid. They could run along each other with two lift hills sort of like Twisted Colossus. But I guess KD wants a higher coaster count, so they'd only do Hurler.

I posted this same Idea a few months ago, although not with the racing. This would totally complete the park's coaster lineup, the perfect attraction on that end of the park perfectly complimenting windseeker. The XLC area could be the new entrance and queue. They could use topper if they wanted a wooden angle. It would be pretty marketable too, as the longest wooden on the east coast, or most inversions, or anything.

Other than that, a Batman SFFT or YOLOcoaster type "gimmick" ride would do well there, very marketable. The worlds largest loop around a park entrance would be captivating, especially next to Dominator's giant loop.

Surely we'll get a family friendly beemer though, a wingrider seems like the surest bet.

The ride could be called "Fury". It would start with the Grizzly part with a blue track and be about the banked turns. Then it could go through the Hurler part and switch to a purple track and be about inversions and airtime, then a grand finale returning to the Grizzly station. The whole thing would be a good 6,000 feet long or so. Oh and it would have two lift hills and four inversions.

While I am drooling over this idea, you guys are smoking something if you think this would ever happen.

Here's a crazy idea: convert both Hurler and Grizzly into one big steel hybrid. They could run along each other with two lift hills sort of like Twisted Colossus. But I guess KD wants a higher coaster count, so they'd only do Hurler.

I posted this same Idea a few months ago, although not with the racing. This would totally complete the park's coaster lineup, the perfect attraction on that end of the park perfectly complimenting windseeker. The XLC area could be the new entrance and queue. They could use topper if they wanted a wooden angle. It would be pretty marketable too, as the longest wooden on the east coast, or most inversions, or anything.

Other than that, a Batman SFFT or YOLOcoaster type "gimmick" ride would do well there, very marketable. The worlds largest loop around a park entrance would be captivating, especially next to Dominator's giant loop.

Surely we'll get a family friendly beemer though, a wingrider seems like the surest bet.

The ride could be called "Fury". It would start with the Grizzly part with a blue track and be about the banked turns. Then it could go through the Hurler part and switch to a purple track and be about inversions and airtime, then a grand finale returning to the Grizzly station. The whole thing would be a good 6,000 feet long or so. Oh and it would have two lift hills and four inversions.

While I am drooling over this idea, you guys are smoking something if you think this would ever happen.

Iron Hurler itself or combining the two?

Everyone keeps bringing up RMC'ing the Hurlers, so my question is are they really that bad?

No. Maybe in the sense that those who tour the US on park-hopping trips would want to skip it, but as a local absolutely not, it was lots of fun in that "learn to ride it" way. Sans trim brake that is, since 2010 it has been running with a trim brake and is really sad, and still slightly rough. When last running correctly, it was a little rougher than KD's other 2 big woodies (although not nearly as bad as RY in 2008), which of course are brutal enough in the wheel seats, but no more so than most others with PTC trains, which meant that Hurler's wheel seats were traumatic. The problem was, this was with MORE maintenance than the other woodies. I really don't think the trim brake is considered a long-term solution, I think it's to avoid having to do major work right before replacing it, or close it prematurely. But maybe they just want to be able to run the ride.

There are at least 2 possible routes to "RMC'ing" a Hurler. The point I have made is that the roughness was entirely in those first 2 curves. The rest of the coaster was, and is, perhaps smoother than average, and the final curve is wonderfully profiled. RMC shows on their site an on-ride video of a ride topper tracked in one curve only, and it is just what the doctor ordered! 2 turns Topper'd, and probably the bottom of the drop, remove trim brake, presto better than new, and cheap too. Might even need a tiny trim after the 2nd curve due to it going faster than ever. But not front page news.

The other route would be extensive mods using the Iron Horse system. I haven't wrapped my head around how they re layout the track to add all these extra elements and bits, so I can't say if Hurler is really suitable, but I think what they could do would be limited. Grizzly, no idea. (Roar, seems impossible or redundant.) There was probably skepticism as to how well these modified rides could be promoted, but should be gone by now.

The idea of combining the Hurler and Grizzly seems like a amazing idea, from a coaster fanboy perspective. I never realized how close the two roller coaster are it would not be that difficult. However I still think it is not very likely b/c there is way more buzz about a coaster going in the Shockwave spot or a coaster that will interact with the front of the park, both of which will probably be steel.

I do think that Cedar Fair and RMC will do business and I think that Kings Dominion would be a great test park before they RMC, Mean Streak, which should happen and will probably happen one day.

Is there basis for this new push for Hurler to get the RMC treatment? Obviously it is rough to ride and could benefit from the treatment but is there anything else? Has someone spotted an RMC truck or talked to someone? Kings Dominion released a video essentially saying what their plans for were for 2016 and I don't think RMC is probable at this point.

Kings Dominion released a video essentially saying what their plans for were for 2016 and I don't think RMC is probable at this point.

No they did not.

Expect an announcement late August - early September. You won't hear any official word before that unless it's something large then expect minimal teasing.

Kings Dominion released a video essentially saying what their plans for were for 2016 and I don't think RMC is probable at this point.

No they did not.

Expect an announcement late August - early September. You won't hear any official word before that unless it's something large then expect minimal teasing.

Here is the image from the possible new roller coaster/entrance upgrade

Here is youtube video from their official youtube channel also talking about a new coaster in 2016 or 17.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Granted this could all be to throw people off the scent of what they really have planned but this is more concrete than the speculation I've seen so far about them doing anything to the Hurler.

Here is youtube video from their official youtube channel also talking about a new coaster in 2016 or 17.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Granted this could all be to throw people off the scent of what they really have planned but this is more concrete than the speculation I've seen so far about them doing anything to the Hurler.

that's not an official KD channel. it's fan-made speculation.

Carowinds' is not going to be re-done. Kings Dominion is overdue for a coaster, not Carowinds, plus Cedar Fair does not clone coasters.

But don't you think eventually something needs to be done to Hurler? I know i was wishfully thinking....Fury 325 should suffice us for now...

I despite not being a fan of the B&M hypers think that would be excellent for KD. Mainly because i heard so so many general public on my visit talking about not riding I305 because of how intense or scary it is to them.

a B&M Hyper would be awesome, for the reasons Ape mentioned. it would be unlike anything else in the park, including i305.

so would a big, modern woodie. don't get me wrong, i love grizzly and rebel yell, but they are pretty ancient and small. (hurler should simply be scrapped)

Carowinds' is not going to be re-done. Kings Dominion is overdue for a coaster, not Carowinds, plus Cedar Fair does not clone coasters.

But don't you think eventually something needs to be done to Hurler? I know i was wishfully thinking....Fury 325 should suffice us for now...

At Carowinds, Hurler will either be taken down for a better woodie or get a completely different RMC treatment but around 2020-2021.

I think Kings Dominion would completely re name the ride rather than use Iron Hurler.

Why would KD get a hyper when they already have a giga?? Unless it was a hyper with wing rider trains and a few inversions.

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds say hello.

I think what he means is why would they get a hyper when they already have a giga as it's taller and faster. One thing is "upgrading" from a hyper to a giga and another thing is the opposite. We all know that if it happens it will be a very different ride from I305 but I guess most people won't (at least initially) think this way.

a B&M Hyper would be awesome, for the reasons Ape mentioned. it would be unlike anything else in the park, including i305.

so would a big, modern woodie. don't get me wrong, i love grizzly and rebel yell, but they are pretty ancient and small. (hurler should simply be scrapped)

If Hurler closes (which it probably will, even before Shockwave), I want some sort of RMC to go in its place.

No, just imagining out loud, I don't think that's out of character with the thread as it is . I do think the "gimmick coaster" idea is sensible though, especially since it wouldn't cost B&M type money and wouldn't take up much room.

While I have yet to do a full TR from my first ever KD visit 2 weeks ago, here are a few cell phone pics I snapped throughout my visit. I didn't bring the DSLR because it was rather hot and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I will say that I-305 is the best steel coaster I've ever been on. It didn't disappoint whatsoever. I absolutely loved it!!

Here are the pics. Enjoy!

20150530_110252.thumb.jpg.c21c01844358304f76a8ebdcd8543d6e.jpg

My #1 coaster on my US bucket list. And Anaconda.

20150530_164747.thumb.jpg.5ecce70bfa5f41cbe9c3c4268f5c0887.jpg

From the top of the tower.

20150530_204355.thumb.jpg.83ac0c5b22825c3aabf81461705febee.jpg

Ejector airtime at night.

20150530_164825.thumb.jpg.d8eb0b77a1c2c33d85a238bc2798f112.jpg

Eruption!!

I know people keep on saying a B&M hyper coaster is a downgrade from Intiminator 305, but really the next coaster, no matter what it is, will be a downgrade. I don't think this will matter. I think if the next coaster is brand new and well designed than it would be marketable. BTW, Intimintor 305 is so intense and designed for thrillseekers, so most people are too scared to ride. I think a B&M hyper would be more of a fun, but just enough intense expierence to please thrillseekers and for not so many people to be scared to ride like I305.