TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Wow, Cedar Fair actually made an improvement to a park map! This map looks a lot nicer and I like how it is easier to see what rides that younger guests can go on. I hope that other Cedar Fair parks use this park map style.

Just look at how much cleaner the new map looks next to the old map:

New map:

ParkMapImage.jpg

Old map:

Edited by XYZ

While the new map is cleaner, I personally think it's less useful. The cartoonish maps seem (to me) to be harder to see actually how far away things are. The proportions are off, and I personally find it annoying.

It looks to me like they have made the routes and paths and stuff like that more accurate to how they are in the park. Like for instance, rebel yell, ricochet, and hurler all weren't exactly in the right position in the old maps. They were curved a little bit in the wrong direction, and just stuff like that. In this newer version, it's more accurate to the correct way that the rides are. While the paths and stuff like that are more accurate, I wish they could morph the way they did the rides now and how they were. Kinda combine the two different concepts. And I also hope that this map folds, unlike this past year! Hopefully they will!

Although I like the old map (2008-2013) more look-wise, I definitely agree that this one is better for what a map is actually supposed to do... navigate.

Some other key notes from the map besides Hungry Hippo and Bad Apple...

1) Safari Village and Candy Apple Grove labels

2) Singing Mushrooms

3) Floral Clock

4) Giant Apples in Grove

5) New movie in Action Theater: The Lost World 3D

I'm anxious for #KD40 to begin this season and hope they go out with a bang with a coaster in 2015.

^ Couldn't agree more! I've been thinking that even though what they need is a B&M or a GCI, I had this in my mind. What if KD decided to "Bring Back" a coaster from the past. And by bring back, I mean remake a replica of the ride or a ride very similar to it. The reason this idea was in my mind was because they talk about how the park will be celebrating the 40th "Starting 2014." So could we be seeing a ride from the past brought back? A king Kobra or Hypersonic look alike? I honestly hope not. I'd rather see something new. However, if they want to keep the 40th theme, I wouldn't have a problem if they brought back the skyride also along with the new coaster!

I'm thinking "King Kobra's Revenge"

That may not be far-fetched; methinks that new park in Houston is planning to bring back an newer, improver Greezed Lightin', so if a roller coaster company did that to Houston, then why not also do it for Kings Dominion?

Still, I wouldn't mind if the Galaxi came back.

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

Oh well, as much as I like to see the running lights return on the Rebel Yell, I still didn't see any announcement concerning the brand new paint job to the Rebel Yell in order to bring it back to its original color scheme. I guess the new paint job for the Anaconda will have to do for now.

Folks, we are less than a month away from the season opener and two months away from the 40th Celebration Party. My CEDAR FAIR PLATINUM PASS is itching to be used. I'm ready, but are you?

kINGS dOMINION - BETCHA YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!

You know for being an "off-season", with all the improvements KD is doing for the first half of their 40th Anniversary, this is the most excited I've been for an upcoming season since 2010 with Intimidator 305! I'm also feeling a coaster for 2015, so this might only be the beginning!

Is there any good scuttle about what type of coaster and where in the park they would put the new one?

Surprisingly there hasn't been much mention of anything yet. Although I've seen on Screamscape and heard other rumors that the reason this year there aren't any new rides is due to the 2015 project. All the speculation seems to be centering around Carowinds' 295+ coaster next season, but obviously KD won't be receiving that with Intimidator 305 already in place. Considering Cedar Fair seems to have transitioned to "what do parks need?" rather than trends (aka Paramount hypers), I think anything is fair game at the moment.

Another interesting note is the whole first straight away and turn of Carowinds' Hurler has been rebuilt by GCI this winter, but they've stated they have no plans to work on Kings Dominion's (which is just in as bad of shape; maybe worse). It's rumored that Cedar Fair wants to remove several coasters across the chain and with Hurler being the least popular coaster at KD by far, maybe it's on the chopping block hence why no work is being done/planned to be done to it?

All in all though if this project is large, we'll more than likely start hearing/seeing things once the season gets going. Oh how I'd love bulldozers to just randomly show up at the park June 1st once again like in 2009.

You know for being an "off-season", with all the improvements KD is doing for the first half of their 40th Anniversary, this is the most excited I've been for an upcoming season since 2010 with Intimidator 305! I'm also feeling a coaster for 2015, so this might only be the beginning!

Is there any good scuttle about what type of coaster and where in the park they would put the new one?

B&M Invert is my guess!