TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I saw a photo of the re-tracking a few days ago and completely forgot about it. That's a lot more than I thought they were doing! My rides last year on Rebel Yell varied through our visits; our best ride was probably opening day. It was a great ride in general; the best ride I had throughout my years going. After that it became hit or miss.

Glad to see work like this being put into the ride. We saw some minor stuff being worked one when we went in August, near the top of the lift. Nothing like this though.

I thought Rebel Yell was pretty good this year and was surprised to see such extensive work being done. Not super smooth but no spot that stuck out. The few rides that seemed rough also seemed extra crazy. The return is a little slow so seems more like just enduring it. It's been truly bad some years, 2008 was when they stopped running a side backwards, by that point riding it forward was hazardous enough. For 2009 they retracked the rise to the turnaround and it stuck out as too smooth, by now that's getting a little rough again. Guess they've been working from there back towards the lift since then so the drop is where they are now.

• 4 weeks later...
While Hurler did have an impact on Grizzly, just as much of the clearing can be blamed on Hypersonic. Even after Hurler, the front half of Grizzly was still almost entirely concealed.

So glad to see Grizzly getting some love around here. I think it's one of the best woodies in the south.

I agree with this, but Hurler took more trees. The thing was, when Hurler was built, a lot of the trees went but Grizzly was still awesome. There was a thin line of trees between the two that kept some of the "now exposed" sections of Grizzly a little covered. In full bloom, Grizzly wasn't affected too bad, but in the Fall there was a noticeable difference after Hurler was built. Fewer trees came out for Hypersonic, but they were the "last" trees covering some of Grizzly, leaving it totally exposed. Opening year of Hypersonic was worth it. I remember being mad about the trees, but the sheer raw power of the launch was AMAZING. After the first year, something happened and Hypersonic SUCKED. Still don't know why the first year was so much better.

Total change of subject, but does anyone have any decent/large images of Anaconda back from it's old color scheme? I REALLY hate the tacky pinkish color it's had for the past decade or so, but I can't find many pictures of the old color scheme that aren't super low res, very poorly lit, or both...

When we rode it in October we found it to be perfectly smooth, but that's always nice to see.

I wish I could have enjoyed it, I was completely focused on my rib injury. It seemed like a great woodie and I am excited to get back and try it, as well as Grizzly. I might try to take a bite out of one of Grizzlys trains, just to get some sort of revenge, and a little closure.

When we rode it in October we found it to be perfectly smooth, but that's always nice to see.

I wish I could have enjoyed it, I was completely focused on my rib injury. It seemed like a great woodie and I am excited to get back and try it, as well as Grizzly. I might try to take a bite out of one of Grizzlys trains, just to get some sort of revenge, and a little closure.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1218348#p1218348

Since this trip report came up today in the other thread it reminded me of your issue with grizzly. The last post in it is about that guy breaking 2 ribs and not sure which he ride he did it on, he thinks it was hurler but I wonder if it was actually grizzly as well.

^^-- the spot coming out of the turn after the tunnel on Grizzly can hurt especially if someone else is thrown into you at the same time, I think it would be if you're on the left seat. Hurler same thing but surely you see that coming! Wild One was the last to really get me even solo, those sudden ejector lefts on the way back are a real surprise.

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1218348#p1218348

Since this trip report came up today in the other thread it reminded me of your issue with grizzly. The last post in it is about that guy breaking 2 ribs and not sure which he ride he did it on, he thinks it was hurler but I wonder if it was actually grizzly as well.

That's pretty funny. I know exactly where it happened to me, it was the first little hill right before the tunnel, after the 1st turnaround/2nd drop. I was on the left side of the train, my left side slammed into the side of the train and I heard/felt the crack as we hit that little turn into the tunnel. I guess it was better than losing a digit on the top/side of the tunnel.

Although it's been almost 7 years since i305 opened, I haven't complained about KD not receiving a coaster. I still this it's an amazing and well rounded park with unique coasters, compared to my home park (SFA). I do think KD will receive a new coaster by 2019, but I wonder what's taking them so long. If you remove a coaster and have one SBN0, then the next addition better be worth it after a coaster drought.

Although it's been almost 7 years since i305 opened, I haven't complained about KD not receiving a coaster. I still this it's an amazing and well rounded park with unique coasters, compared to my home park (SFA). I do think KD will receive a new coaster by 2019, but I wonder what's taking them so long. If you remove a coaster and have one SBN0, then the next addition better be worth it after a coaster drought.

It's basically been confirmed that Hurler is getting RMC'd in 2018.

Nice to see a little Scrambler love. I don't usually ride Scramblers at the big parks any more but I had one heck of a ride on the one at KD. It was a rainy day, most rides were shut down, but during a break in the rain, scrambler opened. As soon as we were on, the sky opened up and began pouring down rain. A very wet but fun ride. And yes, it stung.

Surprised that this hasn't mad it over here yet!

So it looks like that Kings Dominion announced at the "Ace Warm Up Event" that was held at Six Flags Over Georgia, that they are adding the same type of mobile game that Cedar Point added last year for guests to enjoy while they are off rides!

Augmented reality is coming to Kings Dominion in 2017, and it looks to be bigger and better than anything offered at an amusement park before. Teaming up with award-winning industry supplier, Holovis, Cedar Fair is continuing to step up its offering in augmented reality and “techtainment” as a whole. Coming in spring of 2017, guests visiting Kings Dominion will be able to interact with various aspects of the park and with others guests. Waiting in queue lines at Kings Dominion will now become more interesting and potentially enjoyable. Today, nearly every park guest over the age of 16 has a smartphone, and they are using it a lot during their visits to amusement parks. Engaging these guests while they wait really brings endless opportunities to the park!

Guests download the augmented reality mobile app onto their (iOS or Android) smartphone. Upon visiting the park, the guest selects a Coaster Clan that they love the most. At Kings Dominion, guests can pledge their coaster allegiance to one of the following five Coaster Clans:

Intimidator [305]

Volcano

Dominator

Flight of Fear

Avalanche

Source: http://coasteraddict.com/a-battle-is-brewing-at-kings-dominion/

What are your guy's thoughts!?

1103187750_The-Battle-For-Kings-Dominion-Characters1.jpg.5254c0da716d1a47f3aa3390bc024da4.jpg

Edited by drummermattk

Surprised that this hasn't mad it over here yet!

So it looks like that Kings Dominion announced at the "Ace Warm Up Event" that was held at Six Flags Over Georgia, that they are adding the same type of mobile game that Cedar Point added last year for guests to enjoy while they are off rides!

Augmented reality is coming to Kings Dominion in 2017, and it looks to be bigger and better than anything offered at an amusement park before. Teaming up with award-winning industry supplier, Holovis, Cedar Fair is continuing to step up its offering in augmented reality and “techtainment” as a whole. Coming in spring of 2017, guests visiting Kings Dominion will be able to interact with various aspects of the park and with others guests. Waiting in queue lines at Kings Dominion will now become more interesting and potentially enjoyable. Today, nearly every park guest over the age of 16 has a smartphone, and they are using it a lot during their visits to amusement parks. Engaging these guests while they wait really brings endless opportunities to the park!

Guests download the augmented reality mobile app onto their (iOS or Android) smartphone. Upon visiting the park, the guest selects a Coaster Clan that they love the most. At Kings Dominion, guests can pledge their coaster allegiance to one of the following five Coaster Clans:

Intimidator [305]

Volcano

Dominator

Flight of Fear

Avalanche

Source: http://coasteraddict.com/a-battle-is-brewing-at-kings-dominion/

What are your guy's thoughts!?

I like the character designs.

Augmented reality for the queue seems like a more sensible way to gamify the amusement park experience than VR on the ride itself.