TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Every month, the President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, Adam Goldstein, takes a few questions from the GP and posts them on his blog here.

The third question was amazing. Reminds me of a question at WCB a few years ago about candy and a vending machine.

We just returned from a cruise to Alaska onboard Radiance of the Seas. The cruise was great and it was our second time onboard, but the first time since its “upgrades”. We loved the changes and in our comment card offered a suggestion about the Boardwalk Dog House on the ship.

We did not like the Boardwalk Dog House at all. I have seen better hot dog stands on street corners. The hot dogs were not grilled enough, but the major problem in my opinion was the lack of appropriate condiments and accompaniments. Every hot dog stand must have chili, melted or shredded cheese, some chopped raw onions, baked beans, hot relish, chopped jalapenos, and hot wet sauerkraut. In addition, how about having some corn dogs? The condiments, including mustard, ketchup, relish and all other items should all be added by the server rather than having them available as pre-packaged condiments. Have the server “dress” the hot dogs with all of what the passenger wants and then wrap it in a wax or foil paper. That’s what I expected at the Boardwalk Dog House, not what you are presenting. What I am suggesting is very simple, easy and doable with little if any additional expense. – Ed T.

We really appreciate your feedback Ed, regarding our Boardwalk Dog House.

When we opened this venue on Allure of the Seas we couldn’t have imagined the level of interest people had for a hot dog, sausage, or bratwurst. In fact, it’s been so popular we had to increase staffing levels to meet the demand which is a complimentary dining option to all guests on several ships.

We feature eight varieties of hot dogs and sausages. Each one comes prepared differently and is made to order and we feel our authentic approach to each dog has been very well received by most people. Our chicken sausage and Polish Kielbasa are served in baguettes, which we make onboard. Of course the Austrian style wiener and the American Hot Dog, which is Kosher beef from New York, are also favorites. The German bratwurst and the smoked bratwurst are favorites and the cheese & jalapeno sausage and the Tuscan sausage, served with oregano, garlic and Italian sausages are also a lot of fun for our guests. All of our sausages and hot dogs include your choice of warm sauerkraut, sautéed onions or mixed peppers. We do not feature raw onions simply because we work very hard to keep raw foods in a controlled environment. Condiments we do have available for guests to serve themselves include mayonnaise, mustard, and relish. All of the hot dogs feature a side dish option of coleslaw or potato salad and are prepared before your eyes. Admittedly, we have had to keep the overall offering to a point where we can actually deliver the experience to such a high demand.

I mean honestly, is that an appropriate question to ask a CEO? What a wast of time! But, they did post it so either it was a low question month, or they are trying to show they care about the customer. But in all honesty, I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting Ed T. People like that just really annoy me. Reading Ed's rant, I thought that Royal Caribbean just had a plain crappy walmart hot dog, and just a few packets of ketchup, mustard, and relish. After reading the CEO's response I couldn't believe how much of jerk Ed was being. I really really can't stand people like that. I'm sure many of you can relate.

^ It doesn't. That's an image glitch. It's two images taken at two separate times stitched together. The upper half of the ship is facing east for one picture, the lower half is facing west for the other. The line between Google Maps sattelite images just happens to fall right on the perfect point to create that illusion, hahaha.

That's one of Carnival's Dream Class ships, fyi.

Mum and I have just booked Rhapsody of the Seas 10 night South Pacific Splendor, any recommendations on things to do on the ships or in port?

Our ports are Noumea; New Caledonia, Isle of Pines; New Caledonia, Lifou; Loyalty Islands, Port Vila; Vanuatu, Mystery Island; Vanuatu.

That's one of Carnival's Dream Class ships, fyi.

It's actually Carnival Liberty which is a Conquest class stitched with a Fantasy class ship.

Touche, sir. The Liberty is the upper half (Conquest Class) and the Fantasy Class is where the waterpark comes in. You're right. The waterpark on Fantasy Class is in the aft section of the ship while on Dream class it is midship Lido.

Mum and I have just booked Rhapsody of the Seas 10 night South Pacific Splendor, any recommendations on things to do on the ships or in port?

Our ports are Noumea; New Caledonia, Isle of Pines; New Caledonia, Lifou; Loyalty Islands, Port Vila; Vanuatu, Mystery Island; Vanuatu.

Rhapsody is one of the older ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet, so don't go expecting too much from the ship itself. My parents have done some of the Australia based RCCL Cruises before and said they were really fun though because of all the crazy Australians on a boat!

Radiance and Voyager of the Seas also spend time down in Australia, if you can ever get on one of those, go for it, you won't be disappointed!

I would have booked Voyager if I was going just for the sake of doing a cruise but my friend is a dancer on Rhapsody so there's a few of us going to visit him for his birthday!

What do you know about the surcharge restaurants on board Elissa? Is it worth the extra money or is a similar standard to the main dining room?

It looks like Hurricane Sandy did some minor damage to the Disney Fantasy and Dream.

http://www.dadlogic.net/2012/10/27/disney-cruise-line-ship-damaged-by-hurricane-sandy/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=disney-cruise-line-ship-damaged-by-hurricane-sandy

Edited by Erik Johnson