TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and gals. I've been getting more of my footage edited together and I thought you might want to see this video of our final day/night onboard the Navigator a few weeks ago. There was a nasty storm and up to force 9 winds. The video just does not do it justice! Walking around on the top deck was quite an adventure. I thought it was all funny during the day, but at night things were blowing all over the place, the ship was totally rocking, people were puking and I couldn't sleep a wink because it constantly felt like I was falling out of the bed! Not cute.

Have you ever had a storm like this onboard?

Seems scary but cool at the same time. I've never been on a really rough ship yet. I really hope I don't, as there are very few things as gross smelling as vomit. Thanks for the video!

Edited by jray21

I did a cruise that grazed Hurricane Irene. The ship rocked pretty heavily (water in the pool splashing everywhere, people getting sick, dishes crashing on the floor). It didn't help that it was an older ship, which already rocked heavily enough in calm water. It was definitely an interesting experience.

Joey, you're totally right. Especially on the really big ships, the only time you ever even feel the ocean is when it's a bad storm!

Anyways, here is a nice little video about the Portofino up-charge restaurant onboard. We weren't planning on eating here again, (been there, done that last time), but we got comped because they lost my luggage (for the first day). Good thing I was smart enough to put my swimsuit in my backpack!

So there are some rumors floating around that RCCL will have an unlimited alcohol (basically well drinks) package for $55 a day on all ships and also an unlimited internet package as well! Unlimited internet could be pretty awesome unless they can't keep up with the bandwidth.

So there are some rumors floating around that RCCL will have an unlimited alcohol (basically well drinks) package for $55 a day on all ships and also an unlimited internet package as well! Unlimited internet could be pretty awesome unless they can't keep up with the bandwidth.

I've just emailed my RCCL Rep and asked him to confirm this rumor, I will let you guys know when I get a response. It would be great if its true since Mum and I have a cruise booked for February!

I'd be curious to see how long the unlimited alcohol package might run (or if they'd do a test launch before proceeding company-wide). Having traveled with plenty who can drink a seemingly unlimited amount (cough, Piers, cough), that package could do some damage.

They've been testing the unlimited alcohol for quite some time now. Some of the RCCL Sister Companies already offer the packages as well. There are some conditions, at least when it was tested, such as EVERYONE in the stateroom having to buy the package so there's no sharing.

Now, the unlimited Internet thing...that's VERY cool!!! I hadn't heard ANYTHING about that so I'm really excited to see what comes of it.

$55 a day for drinks on a cruise ship seems like it would be a steal, and probably fairly profitable for the ship because I imagine it would only be for domestic beer, house wine, and well drinks. It seems like I remember looking into a Celebrity cruise a few years ago that offered a similar package.

Wifi would certainly be nice, I've never paid for the wifi on any of my cruise because it seemed expensive and the trips I was on were so short that not having access to wifi for 3 days wasn't a big deal.

I'd be curious to see how long the unlimited alcohol package might run (or if they'd do a test launch before proceeding company-wide). Having traveled with plenty who can drink a seemingly unlimited amount (cough, Piers, cough), that package could do some damage.

They tested this on Indy, Legend, and Grandeur last year in Europe and Asia. The prices were $29/person/day for all beers and glasses of house wine, an extra $10/person/day to add non-premium liquor and cocktails, and an extra $20/person/day to add non-premium liquor and cocktails and any wines up to $10/glass. All the packages also included a 25% discount on alcohol above what is included.

As for the unlimited Internet, here is the flyer from yesterday's Allure sailing. I am assuming that this is just a test launch.

Awesome! The unlimited internet would be amazing! I know a ton of people are mortified that people still stay connected on a cruise, but playing Simpsons while in the middle of the Atlantic eating at a buffet is perfect! I do think the price is pretty good, especially when compared to the normal cost and how much they screw you with the stupid log out that never works.

As for the unlimited alcohol, that is only a limited time offer......because once Piers uses it, they will lose way too much money and it will be removed.

Carnival tried to ban dressing in drag on the 'Drag Stars at Sea' cruise, then reversed their decision:

3:18PM EST November 27. 2012 - UPDATE: Carnival now says it will allow guests on the Dec. 2 Carnival Glory cruise to dress in drag. The line says it will also provide full refunds to anyone who wants to cancel their cruise.

Gerry Cahill, Carnival president and CEO, in a letter sent today to all guests booked on the sailing – and posted on social media – says there was a "miscommunication" between the cruise line and travel agency.

"When the group was presented to us we were advised that only the performers would be dressed in drag during the private events. However, we are now aware that this was not clearly communicated to members of the group and therefore anyone who wishes to dress in drag may do so. Please keep in mind that our safety and security procedures require guests to present government-issued ID, and to be recognizably that person," Cahill says.

"At Carnival, we are proud to carry more than 4.5 million guests every year and we welcome them all aboard. We do not practice any form of discrimination against the LGBT or any other community. We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication and for any unintended offense we have caused," he continues.

"Given this misunderstanding, anyone on this cruise who wishes to cancel for any reason may do so and will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as reimbursement for any non-refundable travel related expenses."

ORIGINAL POST, 1:24PM EST: In advance of a "Drag Stars at Sea" cruise on the Carnival Glory next week, passengers received notification drag costumes will not be allowed in public areas of the ship.

This has sparked a controversy that has drag queens and supporters crying foul on websites including America Blog, although the gay-owned travel agency that arranged the cruise is defending the cruise line.

The week-long eastern Caribbean cruise, set to embark Miami on Dec. 2, has been billed by organizer Al and Chuck Travel as the largest gathering of drag queens at sea, with more than 30 drag stars from RuPaul's Drag Race set to perform.

Participants have been promised exclusive cocktail parties and shows, question-and-answer sessions and other activities not open to other passengers on the cruise.

The controversy began with a letter from Vicky Ray, Carnival's vice president of guest services, advising passengers that they will not be allowed to dress in drag on the sailing.

"Carnival attracts a number of families with children and for this reason; we strive to present a family friendly atmosphere," the letter reads. "Although we realize this group consists solely of adults, we nonetheless expect all guests to recognize that minors are onboard and refrain from engaging in inappropriate conduct in public areas."

She continues, "Arrangements have been made for drag performances in the main theater featuring stars from LOGO TV. These functions will be private and only the performers are permitted to dress in drag while in the theater. Guests are not allowed to dress in drag for the performances or in public areas at any time during the cruise."

Guests who violate the policy, Ray continues, "will be disembarked at their own expense and no refund will be given."

Al Ferguson, president of Al and Chuck Travel, took to the agency's Facebook page to defend the cruise line's move, saying it has to do with security, not discrimination.

"Carnival is an ally of the GLBT community. Please understand that this cruise could not even be happening on the GLORY if Carnival was not an ally of our segment of society. When they say they are a 'family friendly' cruise line they mean it in both the traditional and metaphorical sense of the phrase," Ferguson writes.

He says the rule about no costumes in public applies to both gay and straight people and "is meant to protect passengers and guests — NOT to marginalize a few."

Ferguson adds that Carnival's rule will not apply to transgender individuals. "Your right to live your identity is always supported," he writes.

"Ultimately, let's use this opportunity to set an example so that all the world can see that the GLBT community can follow rules and regulations just like everyone else," Ferguson urges.

Carnival is preparing an official statement on the matter, according to a spokesman.

This item was written by Fran Golden, a cruise expert and Trip Coach for Budget Travel magazine. Golden is serving as Guest Editor of The Cruise Log while USA TODAY Cruise Editor Gene Sloan is away.

www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/27/carnival-drag-stars-at-sea-costume-ban/1729509/