TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

^^ Very interesting watch. I was lucky enough to sale on Allure in May. Being my first cruise I couldn't believe what was possible at Sea. Easily one of the most memorable vacations I have ever taken. I often forgot I was on a ship, it is that big.

Guess which cruise line just signed a deal with Mattel to offer a $350-per-person Barbie experience on all their ships?

The Barbie™ Premium Experience is the ultimate indulgence for Barbie enthusiasts. Girls can enjoy staterooms decorated in the iconic doll's signature style as well as exclusive, themed activities throughout the duration of their cruise – from an invitation-only tea party and mermaid dance class to a fashion design workshop and Barbie Girls fashion show. Highlights of the Barbie™ Premium Experience include:

• A Barbie stateroom, adorned in the doll's signature style and featuring keepsakes such as a Barbie® doll and fashions, blanket and pillowcase, tote bag, toothbrush and toiletries bag. From the moment they step into their staterooms, girls will be drawn into Barbie's distinct world of style – and of course, pink!
  • Tiaras & Teacups party, an invitation-only affair, featuring a whimsical palate of pink pastries and pink lemonade served on dainty dishes all while having fun learning tips on table etiquette.
  • Mermaid dance class where girls can shimmy and shake while learning the latest dance moves from the hit movie Barbie™ in a Mermaid Tale 2.
  • Fashion Designer workshop where girls can channel their inner fashion designer with Barbie inspiration boards and sketch materials. Girls also will have the chance to sketch and create their very own Barbie doll fashions.
  • Fashion Show where girls can dress up to walk a pink carpet to the admiration and applause of their family and friends. Girls also will have the chance to perform their amazing dance routine as well as display their Barbie fashion creation. It's the ultimate celebration of a truly memorable experience with Barbie

The cost of the Barbie Premium Experience is $349.00.

As much as that sounds like something Carnival would do, this is actually a Royal Caribbean offering. Way to reinforce gender stereotypes. And who knew that Barbie™ in a Mermaid Tale 2 was a hit movie?

I would bet cash that there are quite a few adult barbie collectors with disposable income who will happily pay the upcharge for the experience.

Well then! That's an aspirational demographic to reach. Good to see them looking up market. Crystal must be sweating bullets and looking to get an all inclusive American Girl experience.

Just booked a southern Caribbean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas in December. Very excited for our second cruise on RCCL.

Hopefully you'll get to try the new and improved MDR food on your cruise. Depending on who you ask, the new menus will start on Brilliance on 11/2/2012, 11/12/2012, or 12/2/2012.

Hopefully you'll get to try the new and improved MDR food on your cruise. Depending on who you ask, the new menus will start on Brilliance on 11/2/2012, 11/12/2012, or 12/2/2012.

That's good news actually. The food was probably the weakest link of our otherwise great experience on RCCL last year.

Hey! Anyone have any experience on both MSC and RCCL?

We have a week off coming up and there are basically two options that would work for us: one is in the RCCL Navigator in the Med, but all ports that we have already been to, the other is on the MSC Fantasia in the Med, but to all new ports. We're leaning toward RCCL because we're fans and want the C&A points, but are thinking it might be interesting to try out a totally new line and see something new. Any thoughts?

Kelly and Lauryn just returned from a RCCL cruise to Bermuda with Kelly's family. They really, really enjoyed it... except for the Norwegian ship that came untethered in port and rammed their ship!

Actually, I guess "brushed" their ship is more accurate, as it didn't really do any major damage... but wow. Kelly felt the impact and watched the aftermath from her balcony. Her sister and brother-in-law were on the dock with a bunch of Norwegian passengers who were freaked out because they thought their ship was leaving without them. Then a dock worker came along and asked for volunteers to help re-tether the ship.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, and both ships were fine, but wow! Defintely some unexpected adventure for the passengers on both ships.

Hi all....

Need a little advice..... We were supposed to take a Carnival Klassy Cruise out of Tampa in June with my daughter's dance team. Long story, short, it got cancelled by the dance studio leaving us all really bummed. We have wanted to cruise for a long time, so I went to AAA the other day and looked into a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral the same week next year. It would be a 4 night cruise, and we would like to fly into the Orlando area on the Friday before so that we can take in Magic Kingdom and Sea World, as Sammi has never been since they got rid of ours here in Ohio.

Here is the dilemma.... Herb and I both agree we would rather fly than drive, but it seems like there are limited and VERY EXPENSIVE options for transportation around the area once we would get there. A rental car would be fine, but the cheaper companies insist on a major credit card, which right now neither of us carry for economic reasons, and I can't justify spending several hundred dollars on a car that is going to sit in a lot at the port for 4 days. The taxis and town cars are sooooo stinking expensive. I can't fathom spending $200+ just for a 1 hour car ride. What a racket!!

Any ideas, comments or advice would be welcome. Thanks!!

Shari

A rental car would be fine, but the cheaper companies insist on a major credit card, which right now neither of us carry for economic reasons, and I can't justify spending several hundred dollars on a car that is going to sit in a lot at the port for 4 days.

As someone who has had the same situation with no credit cards, I've gone with Budget a few times and have used my bank debit card (backed by Visa) as an acceptable method of payment with little hassle; just make sure you have a bit extra cash if they put a hold on it, as my last rental this past August in Philly was only a $0.12 hold. Though I don't remember it being much last October at MCO it was definitely a bit more but under $200 and the funds released as soon as I returned the car.

Have you looked into possibly only renting the car for when you are in Orlando then using the cruise line's shuttle service to and from MCO to the Pier or staying in Cocoa Beach the night before your cruise and using the shuttle services offered in the area? I'm pretty sure their are car rental offices nearby with a shuttle back to the pier.

Hi all....

Need a little advice..... We were supposed to take a Carnival Klassy Cruise out of Tampa in June with my daughter's dance team. Long story, short, it got cancelled by the dance studio leaving us all really bummed. We have wanted to cruise for a long time, so I went to AAA the other day and looked into a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral the same week next year. It would be a 4 night cruise, and we would like to fly into the Orlando area on the Friday before so that we can take in Magic Kingdom and Sea World, as Sammi has never been since they got rid of ours here in Ohio.

Here is the dilemma.... Herb and I both agree we would rather fly than drive, but it seems like there are limited and VERY EXPENSIVE options for transportation around the area once we would get there. A rental car would be fine, but the cheaper companies insist on a major credit card, which right now neither of us carry for economic reasons, and I can't justify spending several hundred dollars on a car that is going to sit in a lot at the port for 4 days. The taxis and town cars are sooooo stinking expensive. I can't fathom spending $200+ just for a 1 hour car ride. What a racket!!

Any ideas, comments or advice would be welcome. Thanks!!

Shari

Orlando car rentals are some of the cheapest in the nation - I would do a "name your own price" on priceline (you can click "debit card") and shoot for the 15$ a day range. Or if you can get back to the airport you can do the official RCCL airport "transfer" which is on a shuttle bus. Not sure how much it is, but I have a feeling its less than $200. Have you also checked out the cruise critic boards for a roll call for your ship? You might be able to find another family in a similar situation and split the cost.

Herb and I both agree we would rather fly than drive, but it seems like there are limited and VERY EXPENSIVE options for transportation around the area once we would get there. A rental car would be fine, but the cheaper companies insist on a major credit card, which right now neither of us carry for economic reasons, and I can't justify spending several hundred dollars on a car that is going to sit in a lot at the port for 4 days. The taxis and town cars are sooooo stinking expensive. I can't fathom spending $200+ just for a 1 hour car ride. What a racket!!

Rent the car from a major company so that pick up and drop off occurs in the airport's parking garage. Don't use some ham-n-egger like Fox. For the transfer, call Mears, who operates all the transfer services to Port Canaveral (Magical Express? Yeah, that's really a Mears bus. THE MOAR U KNOW):

http://www.mearstransportation.com/services/cruise-transport/

There's a number there specifically for those taking RCCL cruises like yours. You're not gonna be paying $200+ for that bus ride, so expect a lower price. What someone else said about using Priceline in Orlando is true so long as you aren't travelling at a peak time. Otherwise, you may still get gouged.

I used cash only at Alamo once before I had cards - you need to leave something like a $200 or $250 deposit, and need proof of your job or something odd...I cannot remember what it was - call them and ask about it though! You can use your bank debit/check card, or get one of those VISA prepays. Alamo seems to always be the most reasonable when I go, so I stick with them. They always have sales as well.

Oh my - I am going to be booking for Carnival Breeze for next Oct. It is a family trip, that we are suckered into.

After my first cruise being Disney Dream... I hope the good company far outweighs the negative. Maybe b/c it is a new ship, there is hope? (Probably not!) If it were up to me, I would be cruising on Disney again!

Kelly and Lauryn just returned from a RCCL cruise to Bermuda with Kelly's family. They really, really enjoyed it... except for the Norwegian ship that came untethered in port and rammed their ship!

Here's a video of that event:

• 3 weeks later...

We're leaving in 10 days for a weeklong cruise on the Navigator of the Seas in the Med! It may sound strange but, because we were just in all the same ports last April, we may stay on the ship the entire time!

Also interesting to note, I am "down lining", (a term I recently learned), which means I am boarding the ship a day later than the cruise actually begins. It's a long story, but I am surprised they even offered to let me do it. Markus is boarding on the 21st in Rome/Civichewbacca and I am boarding the next day in Messina. I'm taking a puddle jumper flight over to Sicily and I'm actually kind of worried about it. Not about flying, about missing the boat! There is only this one flight that will make it on time and if the weather is bad or the flight is delayed, I'm screwed!

Hi im a bit of a lurker on the boards but love coasters and cruise ships just recently off oasis of the seas! I will try to do a review when i get time any questions just ask!

Some photos of the ship and ports here

Just scroll past Miami 1st on is my 3 travel buddies haveing the SEXY Salad in central park.

Enjoy Stu

No this was our 1st trip with rci mainly down to robbs allure photos!

We have don sapphire and emerald princess in the past and have royal Princess Maiden out of fort lauderdale booked for 2013 with a florid park trip before.

It was a great trip .

Stu K