TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

• 3 weeks later...
In what may be the best story of the day, a woman who took a cruise on the Disney Wonder in April had her iPhone stolen. However, due to the iCloud service, all the photos taken with the phone… even those after it was stolen, have begun to be automatically posted to her Facebook account this week. In a moment of brilliance, Katy McCaffrey put 20 of these photos into a public gallery labeled “Stolen iPhone Adventure” where we get several clear pictures of Nelson, the Disney Cruise Line CM who ended up in possession with Katy’s iPhone, Nelson’s pregnant girlfriend, as well as his fellow CM friends on board the Disney Wonder. She also contacted the Disney Cruise Line and has forwarded them all the photos as well.

I have a feeling that our friend Nelson may be in for a world of hurt… unless he walks the plank before the Disney Wonder comes into it’s next port. Stay tuned… I don’t think this is the end of the story by a long shot.

Link

In what may be the best story of the day, a woman who took a cruise on the Disney Wonder in April had her iPhone stolen. However, due to the iCloud service, all the photos taken with the phone… even those after it was stolen, have begun to be automatically posted to her Facebook account this week. In a moment of brilliance, Katy McCaffrey put 20 of these photos into a public gallery labeled “Stolen iPhone Adventure” where we get several clear pictures of Nelson, the Disney Cruise Line CM who ended up in possession with Katy’s iPhone, Nelson’s pregnant girlfriend, as well as his fellow CM friends on board the Disney Wonder. She also contacted the Disney Cruise Line and has forwarded them all the photos as well.

I have a feeling that our friend Nelson may be in for a world of hurt… unless he walks the plank before the Disney Wonder comes into it’s next port. Stay tuned… I don’t think this is the end of the story by a long shot.

Link

Even if she gets the phone back, I imagine the bill from all that data usage aboard ship is going to be huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival strikes again.... lots of Klassy Kruise ideas. I could't make this s*it up if I tried.

Redneck paradise: wild and wasted on rock cruise

The Carnival Destiny cruise ship hasn't even left port, and half the ship's guests are already wasted.

Passengers pack the lobby bar, balancing luggage with buckets of ice-soaked beer bottles, and flashing room keys that double as charge cards to keep the drinks flowing.

When it's time for a mandatory safety drill, the life-saving instructions playing over the vessel's intercom can barely be heard over sounds of drunken guests stumbling over one another, spewing obscenities, cheering, slapping high-fives and yelling chants like "Ain't no party like a ... Kid Rock party."

And it's still two hours before Kid Rock - the rapper turned country-rock star - officially launches his "Chillin' the Most" cruise with a kickoff concert.

For the next four nights, 2650 of Kid Rock's biggest fans will wander the 12 decks of the nearly 280-metre-long ship in various stages of undress, toting giant inflatable penises, downing the musician's own Badass American Lager out of breast-shaped beer bongs and consuming more than three times the amount of alcohol than a typical Carnival voyage. Onboard the cruise from Miami to the Bahamas' Half Moon Cay are also 12 other acts, including Southern rapper-Eminem protege Yelawolf, Uncle Kracker and brazen folk singer-songwriter Roger Alan Wade.

As the ship pulls out of port, guests finally make it to the outdoor deck to watch Kid Rock perform, leaving behind a Dumpster's worth of beer bottles in the lobby. Scantily clad women gyrate to the pre-show music while a guy with a pack of condoms dangling from a lanyard around his neck watches. A few fans juggle buckets of brews as they climb up the pool's slide for a better view. Someone's scribbled "Kid Rock Rules" in blue marker on a window overlooking the deck.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/redneck-paradise-wild-and-wasted-on-rock-cruise-20120530-1zj0v.html#ixzz1wqvJGQPL

^I would not let the regular Carnival Cruise Line (CCL)shenanigans sour your desire for a Royal Cruise (RCL). I have heard good things about Royal, but have never been on them. I have been on one Carnival and I think I lucked out because it was generally uneventful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This should be interesting... how much would you pay for land speed internet while on a cruise?

O3b Networks today announced a milestone multi-year, multi-million dollar agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. to provide high-speed satellite-delivered broadband service aboard the world’s largest cruise ship. By summer 2013, more than 8,000 guests, staff and crew members aboard the cruise industry leader’s flagship Oasis of the Seas – under the Royal Caribbean International brand – will be the first to enjoy O3b’s enhanced connectivity at sea as if connected to fiber at home or in the office.

A true technology innovator, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is the first to utilize O3b’s new maritime offering O3b Maritime, which delivers the reach of satellite and the speed and latency of fiber at a fraction of the cost of conventional providers. O3b is enabling maritime service providers to offer affordable fiber-like capacity across the Caribbean and ocean regions around the world. Providing unparalleled bandwidth, O3b’s steerable satellite beams will provide cruise industry passengers ultra-fast Internet communications throughout their voyage.

“Royal Caribbean is committed to delivering the most contemporary vacation to our guests, and that includes pushing ahead for onboard technological advances that offer the modern conveniences that guests enjoy on land,” said Adam M. Goldstein, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “This milestone agreement with O3b Networks enables us to provide our guests with unprecedented Internet service at sea aboard Oasis of the Seas and potentially in the future aboard other ships in our fleet.

I saw this the other day and it got me thinking. I don't think they can really charge any more for the internet as it's already so over priced! All I know, is I hope it's successful and rolled out on other Royal Caribbean ships soon! Obviously something major has come down in price as Delta just recently announced they'll be offering internet on International flights as well starting next year.

BTW, anyone see the latest addition to Royal Caribbean's Private Island Labadee?

Axe1X9QCEAEY_8O.jpg:large

I wouldn't pay for internet if I could help it. One of the things I love about crusing is being disconnected from the rest of the world for a week. That being said, if I ever did something longer then a 7 day I think I may change my mind on the subject.

There's no way they can offer the "latency of fiber" via a satellite connection. The O3b satellites orbit at 8063km, which means that at the speed of light, the signal will take about 120ms to travel from the Caribbean, up to the satellite in an equatorial orbit, down to the base station in Texas, back to the satellite, and back to the ship. That's in addition to any latency between the base station and the site you are trying to reach. My home internet has round-trip latency of about 10ms for many sites. That extra 110ms can make a difference for things like online games and VOIP.

I can't believe they're charging more for that water slide than for the alpine coaster. And, while I'm on the topic, if I were only going to do one of the alpine coasters on my upcoming cruise, would you recommend the one in Jamaica or the one at Labadee?

For ease alone, Labadee. You don't need to take independent transportation/book a shore excursion. Since you're docking in Falmouth, you would have the benefit of not dealing with the walk of shame involved in getting back to the ship in Ocho Rios, so it isn't quite so bad. Still, easier to walk to a coaster than take a bus ride packed with fat people.

I think the Jamaican Bobsled is the better of the two rides, but you can't go wrong with either of them. In Jamaica you do have to book a shore excursion and take a bus and a freaky chairlift ride to the alpine slide.

Why would they build a metal slide?! The looks HOT! Why not just buy from the experts in Canada?

They have quite a few of these metal slides here in Germany and I guess I don't recall them ever being hot. I'll have to pay more attention next time I get to ride one.