TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I really hope no one puts a roller coaster on a ship!

I've been on the Dream and I have to say the slides were pretty fun. It was the only pool water that was fresh on the ship. The slides did hurt on the way down though.

They have also announced a little (or rather large) sports complex. They are going to add a ropes course, mini golf, plank that extends 8 ft. over the ship, 3-story rock climbing wall, basketball court, and I swear I saw a zip line in the announcement.

They are going to add a ropes course, mini golf, plank that extends 8 ft. over the ship,

Just a random plank, or a plank that is associated with the ropes course? And "over the ship," meaning "over the side," I assume? I think a beam that extended over the side would be amazingly awesome....not to mention scary as hell.

Personally, I'm still holding out for a lazy river of some sort.

Well finally!

Australian billionaire to build new Titanic

CANBERRA, Australia – An Australian billionaire said Monday he'll build a high-tech replica of the Titanic at a Chinese shipyard and its maiden voyage in late 2016 will be from England to New York, just like its namesake planned.

Weeks after the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the original Titanic, Clive Palmer announced Monday he has signed a memorandum of understanding with state-owned Chinese company CSC Jinling Shipyard to build the Titanic II.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic, but … will have state-of-the-art 21st-century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," Palmer said in a statement. He called the project "a tribute to the spirit of the men and women who worked on the original Titanic."

More than 1,500 people died after the Titanic hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic on its first voyage. It was the world's largest and most luxurious ocean liner at the time.

Palmer built a fortune on real estate on Australia's Gold Coast tourist strip before becoming a coal mining magnate. BRW magazine reported he was Australia's fifth-richest person last year with more than $5.2 billion.

Palmer said at a news conference that previous attempts to build a Titanic replica failed because proponents failed to raise enough money and commission a shipyard. The Titanic II is the first of four luxury cruise ships Palmer has commissioned CSC Jinling Shipyard to build.

Palmer did not provide a cost estimate. He said he had established a new shipping company, Blue Star Line Pty. Ltd., and that design work for the Titanic II has begun with assistance from a historical research team.

The diesel-powered ship will have four smoke stacks like the coal-powered original, but they will be purely decorative.

The most obvious changes from the original Titanic would be below the water line, including welding rather than rivets, a bulbous bow for greater fuel efficiency and enlarged rudder and bow thrusters for increased maneuverability, Palmer said.

Brett Jardine, general manager for Australia and New Zealand in the industry group International Cruise Council, said Titanic II would be small by modern standards but could prove viable at the top end of the luxury market.

"From a marketing point of view, many will embrace it and perhaps there'll be some that wouldn't," Jardine said.

"If you've got a niche, it's going to work. Why go out there and try to compete with the mass-market products that are out there now?" he added.

While the Titanic II would carry around 1,680 passengers, most modern cruise ships create economies of scale by catering for more than 2,000 passengers, he said.

Among the world's largest passenger ships, Allure of the Seas is 295 feet longer than the 886-foot Titanic and has 2,700 cabins.

I know I will probably get slammed for saying this but I am kind of excited for this! I've always wanted to walk down that grand staircase. I had always thought that if I had the money, I would build a replica only...as a museum/hotel.

If he's having a Chinese Shipyard building it, there's a great chance it will end up just like the Titanic!!!
Will there be a TR for your Dubai-India cruise Elissa? Eager to see more pics from your trip there.

^Yes! I keep bugging Robb to get caught up on updates!
Thanks for the reply. I am not going to lie: ever since you guys came back, i keep checking Facebook & the site every couple of hours to see when a TR will go live. Looking forward to it.

GALVESTON, Texas (CN) - A family blames Carnival Cruise Lines for their mother's death, claiming in court that it took the pleasure ship's crew more than an hour to get her to the ship's infirmary after she fell on broken glass and severed an artery.

The two minor children and the parents of the late Angel Holcomb sued Carnival Corporation dba Carnival Cruise Lines in Federal Court, alleging negligence in her death aboard the Carnival Conquest, on May 3, 2011.

The complaint's description of Holcomb's long slow death from blood loss is a tragic comedy of errors in which crew members tried unsuccessfully to carry the bleeding woman in a wheelchair, a stretcher that never arrived, a canoe, and then had to carry her bodily.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/02/46145.htm

^WHoa?!?! WTF?!?! Is there a link to the original story? I must have missed this one!

On a somewhat related note, I picked up a glass on our last cruise and it fell apart in my hand cutting one of my fingers pretty bad. The bar server looked, said "we don't have band aids here", and walked away!

Sometimes they spend so much time training the staff for the worst case everything, that they forget smaller things.

If he's having a Chinese Shipyard building it, there's a great chance it will end up just like the Titanic!!!

Haha this was the probably the BIGGEST mistake this man will ever make! This give's me second thoughts

Can't wait for your TR on your Dubai-India cruise!!

That story is just unbelievable! First, they try to cut her off and monitor her drinking... then, after the family complains, she gets hammered and falls and cuts herself. Of course, it's tragic that she died, but this whole story is just... well, for lack of a better word... wacky!

Alright kids, the Hubby last night confessed to "Always wanting to go on a Carnaval Cruse," starting when he was a little kd.

*eye roll*

So we'll be going on the fail boat as our first cruse in the next six months.

How can I make sure that we have a good time, and a good cruse? I want to do activities, he just wants to lay in the sun reading.

And convincing him to pick a different cruse line is out of the question. And yes, I told him about the Klassy Kruse.

^Which ship and itinerary are you doing? Timing (date) also matters. Cheaper Ships with shorter itineraries when people are off from work/school are a recipe for disaster. Doing a Carnival Cruise in Europe in September would be fairly decent.

^Which ship and itinerary are you doing? Timing (date) also matters. Cheaper Ships with shorter itineraries when people are off from work/school are a recipe for disaster. Doing a Carnival Cruise in Europe in September would be fairly decent.

No idea which ship yet, I'm looking into them now. Hoping to go on one of the newer ships. We can't afford Europe quite yet...

Good to know about going on the off times.

No idea which ship yet, I'm looking into them now. Hoping to go on one of the newer ships. We can't afford Europe quite yet...

Good to know about going on the off times.

If you even want to have somewhat of a good time, please choose a ship from the Dream Class! There is the Carnival Dream, Magic, and the Breeze will be coming out later this year.

Have done Royal and Disney on most cruises and we ventured onto the Carnival Dream and had a great time! Wouldn't go on any class below though. Take the Klassy Kruse as the reason! If you decide on the Breeze, it might not come to the Caribbean until late this year or early 2013. They are really trying to tone down the cheesy, gaudy theme on this one, looks like it might be ok.

Try to convince him on RCI though

^^ What Elissa said, and also avoid sailing out of a "third tier" port like Galveston, New Orleans, Charleston, Jax, etc. These are generally lower income and slightly trashier cruises.

I've never been on a cruse before, is there one place that will tell me which ports are "third tier" or hints along those lines?

Any list (online) of questions we need to ask when planning?

^ There's no "i" in "team," but there is in "cruise."

Second of all, on top of the excellent advice you'll get here, CruiseCritic.com is an excellent resource to get you acquainted with everything else you need to know about cruising. Many members here use it, and I can tell you that it definitely helped my wife and I with many questions we had before our first cruise last year.