TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

^It will look cool for sure, just like in Altoona.

It looks like there is only a small street in between the coaster and ballpark, I'm probably wrong though as I've never been there.

altoona2.jpg.1b0bf80372a57a83ffdebdaafb319678.jpg

Picture credit to baseballpilgrimages.com

Being a new yorker and all the southern ny coasters (except for the dragon and cyclone) are crap as of now this looks great! makes me wonder will it be an enjoyable ride will zamperla be building more of these vertical lift loopers in the future and im sorry if im being ignorant but do we have an opening day?

Almost done, these pictures were taken an hour ago, so they may have completed the circuit already.

I'm loving the way it looks.

IMG_20140519_190831.thumb.jpg.b2500dbe839658d3f5efe13dc9df2198.jpg

Heading into the turnaround

IMG_20140519_190933.thumb.jpg.e00cf4f4357008b6bec484f95ea45011.jpg

By the time I left the park they had this piece securely attached and had removed the straps from the crane.

IMG_20140519_190820.thumb.jpg.6dd59952e9452d8496ba4a4248e6f2f0.jpg

The gap is nearly closed

IMG_20140519_190951.thumb.jpg.2fb4cb6923d230a3fac7e2f3ba95559f.jpg

The last two track pieces on the ground.

IMG_20140519_191438.thumb.jpg.3d3e8a8e880011bed894c68b111f2a4d.jpg

Signage facing the boardwalk

IMG_20140519_191515.thumb.jpg.fad247cd937e133faa00f7b19abf0ad8.jpg

Love the retro thunderbolt shaped sign

IMG_20140519_191249.thumb.jpg.4b19ef567ed6b3d749c5614bb005e80d.jpg

More signage waiting to be posted. I probably won't bother to stop by to take photos of the completed project since someone will probably get them from somewhere else and post them before I get the chance.

Just curious, but does anyone know the distance between the coaster and the stadium fence? Regardless, I think this could be one of the greatest backgrounds for any MiLB stadium in North America.

Approximately 175 to 200 feet.

Looks like they have nice space for a bigger flat in the back - away from the broadwalk - plus a smaller kiddie ride and some snack shacks along a midway stretching the side of the coaster...

And if they really open Memorial Day weekend they need to do testing and paperwork mighty fast.

Looks like they have nice space for a bigger flat in the back - away from the broadwalk - plus a smaller kiddie ride and some snack shacks along a midway stretching the side of the coaster...

A Giant Discovery in the middle would fit perfectly, then a few family and children rides to the right of it, as well as a games and food stands to the left of it along the boardwalk.

Thunderbolt.thumb.jpg.ce63d852a8f70c31b4178e6f2caff01a.jpg

While all this speculation is great, keep in mind that there is a baseball stadium there, and there always remains the offchance that someone will hit a monster home run (400+ Feet).

I don't see it being an issue for the coaster, but if anything else gets closer to the park it can cause issues. All the area needs is an unsuspecting GP member being hit by a baseball...

The distance to left field is 315 feet. Looking at this on Google Maps you can safely assume that it will be another 200 feet to the coaster which is slightly raised so I think it's going to be fine. In the New York Penn League it's rare to see a home run travel more than 350 - 400 feet. We have season tickets to a Penn League team a little further north (The Hudson Valley Renegades) and trust me... you don't have to worry about 500 foot home runs. The only one I've ever seen that was near that distance was hit by Evan Longoria (and we all know how he turned out). They estimated it at 500 feet but had no way of measuring it so they probably just made it up to get some publicity.

That being said... it's amazing that nobody has been hit on the Skyliner at Lakemont yet. Not only is the coaster much closer but the players are much better.

This probably will become a legitimate concern if they build any amusement attractions between the stadium and the coaster though.

Seeing as there are no seats out where we are talking about what prevents there being safety nets of some kind being put up to protect from that happening? I'm sure there would be roadblocks toward doing that.

This probably will become a legitimate concern if they build any amusement attractions between the stadium and the coaster though.

Yup, exactly what I was trying to convey above (probably should have made that a bit clearer)! Definitely not a problem for the coaster (at least on the fly, a bounce and roll is another story).

Seeing as there are no seats out where we are talking about what prevents there being safety nets of some kind being put up to protect from that happening?

I'm sure this could be done, though hopefully not in the form of a big ugly net that takes away from the view from the stands. It's really one of the more beautiful ballparks in baseball (minor league or otherwise) just because of it's unique setting.