TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Darien is a VERY valuable park that has been mis-managed multiple times. I can't think of another property in the country that has a theme park, on-site hotel, campground (3rd largest in US), and 26,000 person Live Nation concert venue.

They also own more land than any other Six Flags property. This is a property that has great potential. Even though operations have suffered the past few years they've been able to build a really solid modern water park.

Hopefully, Six Flags reclaims ownership of the property and continues to build organically and not just slapping down a hyper coaster into a park that was not yet ready for that type of growth. The park has strong bones and should be a good investment for them. Also, the Canadian market is a HUGE draw for any investors, Darien pulls a large portion of its crowds from Southern Ontario, as many people there find CW to be overpriced and the 2-3hr queues not enticing.

Does anyone know if six flags admission tickets, especially six flags admission tickets won in a contest or sweepstakes (I assume these are general six flags admission tickets that are valid at any SF park) will be valid at the park this year because of this?

^ Since they had already sold their own season passes for 2018, I suspect they may roll it in next year. I was already considering Canada's Wonderland for 2019 so that'd be great if my Season Pass were accepted by then.

I'm pro-TLC for this park, whatever the name or forces at work behind the scenes. There are some in-park corridors that are nice and feel like an awesome regional park with pretty surrounding grounds, but others (chintzy batting cages, leftover Six Flags show spaces, open areas where there's just nothing, one train ops) suggest a tight budget.

I'd love to see the park continue to spruce up from within and add sensibly in the future (not expecting a circa-'99 multi-coaster dump).

^ Since they had already sold their own season passes for 2018, I suspect they may roll it in next year. I was already considering Canada's Wonderland for 2019 so that'd be great if my Season Pass were accepted by then.

It'd be terrific if they started accepting SF passes in time for my Cedar Point trip next week.

Oh well, now I have another reason to take an East Coast trip next year.

They have a plot of land behind the black gate next to Steel City Station (RoS' shop), they could convert that into a DC comics area and add stuff like an S&S 4D Freefly, a Zamperla Giant Discovery, an ABC Tourbillon, or even an RMC T Rex.

Then for a smaller year add some slides in Splashtown where Cuda Falls and Floodgate Falls were, and brand the water park into Hurricane Harbor. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's so much potential in the park due to the huge amount of land they have that's empty, can't wait to see what Six Flags does in the future with it.

Looney Tunes characters and The Wiggles will not be part of the entertainment at Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom this year.

NO! NOT THE WIGGLES!

That was a childhood memory.

Anyways, they're not anywhere near bankruptcy, it's really dumb they can't take a lil' money away from their huge flagship parks that already have awesome attractions and spare it to Great Escape for licensing.

(getting a lil' off topic here, reel it back in)

On another note, I won the contest for KissTwitterTantrum and I'm picking up the stuff (season passes, meal vouchers, vip wristbands for Tantrum's opening, bags) sometime this week, excited!!!

it's really dumb they can't take a lil' money away from their huge flagship parks that already have awesome attractions and spare it to Great Escape for licensing.

If they saw value in that licensing deal they wouldn't have ended it.

These parks aren't charity cases. They invest in the larger parks because they'll see a better return on their investment. They invest less in smaller parks that they feel have already saturated their respecting markets or parks or parks without any meaningful competition because there's not as much of a return there. This is pretty basic stuff.

They probably didnt renew the looney tunes licensing at great escape because they are probably bring it to darien lake. Plus i do not really see them bring much themeing to frontier city saying that its already themed fairly well.

They probably didnt renew the looney tunes licensing at great escape because they are probably bring it to darien lake. Plus i do not really see them bring much themeing to frontier city saying that its already themed fairly well.

Wow...

I just plain happy that Six Flags bought back Darien Lake and also Darien Lake has gotten a new coaster. I just hope Six Flags doesn't give Darien Lake the wrong end of the stick like they did the last time they owned it. But at least we got (Superman) Ride of Steel and Twister out of Six Flags' first time running Darien Lake in 1999.

Wow...

Was that a good wow or a bad wow? haha

Wow...

Wow...

Cool news for this park. It seems like re-branding it back into Six Flags would be a somewhat easy fix. Being from upstate New York, as recently as a year ago or less I've had people ask me, "Oh, do you ever get to the Six Flags out by Rochester?", and having to correct them that it hasn't been a Six Flags in a very long time.

I haven't been to the park in like 10 years, right around the time Six Flags unloaded the place, and it was a total ghost town in the middle of the summer. Some of the previous pages claims about being "one of the most profitable" parks, etc., also seem a little far-fetched. When I was working for Six Flags, also about 10 years ago, I sat on a few conference calls for my boss that all parks were on, in which numbers were discussed in terms of losses, which included department profits for percentage purposes, etc., and Darien Lake's numbers never jumped off the page.

At any rate, it would be nice to see some of the aforementioned baby steps such as infrastructure upgrades, maintenance, and improved operations.

Weren't they going to call that thing Lake Monster?! Lol jk, don't yell at me.

I think the fact that SF has money to invest to fix things is fantastic news for DL. At the very least I expect paint and new trains on almost all coasters and two with the new restraints on ME.

I am also happy that this version of SF is not the one that neglected the park under massive debt many years ago. I really like the additions most SF parks are getting, and they are definitely focusing on the entire park experience, not just coasters.

Wow...

Wow...

Let me give you a clue. It is not a good wow!