TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 459: Pantheon opening on March 25!

It's going to be a big change for New France--which hasn't seen any "big changes" in years (except for when they built the new Trappers Smokehouse).

And tore down the Canadian Palladium to install the Scrambler. Cannot ever forgive them for that since the Palladium is where I wrote and directed many country shows from 1994-1997.

But at least they kept a flat ride, which was popular with kids and families.

I figured Kings Dominions was a better one day park, Busch Gardens definitely looked more like a 2 day park with everything in it.

You figured right. Good call.

yep. .don't skip the shows. .they are (for the most part) very good.

I figured Kings Dominions was a better one day park, Busch Gardens definitely looked more like a 2 day park with everything in it.

I was thinking more along the lines of gorging myself on all the food lol, do all the rides one day, then just pig out the next. #fatkidprobs

I was thinking more along the lines of gorging myself on all the food lol, do all the rides one day, then just pig out the next. #fatkidprobs

you can eat the great gelato while watching the show in Italy! (it's a restaurant setting with seating at tables anyways)

It's going to be a big change for New France--which hasn't seen any "big changes" in years (except for when they built the new Trappers Smokehouse).

And tore down the Canadian Palladium to install the Scrambler. Cannot ever forgive them for that since the Palladium is where I wrote and directed many country shows from 1994-1997.

Piano John,

OUCH! That must have been a bummer. Great memories literally "scrambled." Looks like those were fun times for you, the cast - and the audience! I used to do dinner theater and I don't even WANT to know what many of those lovely wooden barn-like structures have become. Parking lots?!? Theme parks would be nice....but somehow, I doubt that that's been their fates.

Alice

The original version of Howl-o-Scream's "Monster Stomp" show used to be in the Canadian Palladium, too--and the little theater was often crammed full (it eventually moved to the Abbey Stone in Ireland and then to the Globe in England). That space was a bit cramped.

Thanks for the update, Chuck. I hope this ride and/or queue has some good interaction with Le Scoot.

Yeah, it looks like the coaster will have some great synergy with the log flume.

I love it when a new ride is built around another. A totally new experience for the old one

If their theming of Cobra's Curse is any indication of the theming that will be added to this ride, it will be a great additional to the park.

We'll see. I'd like them to go a little crazy with theming on this ride.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be cool to see some of the coaster's track wrap and turn around a giant Viking ship.

With them starting so early on this ride (for a mid size wooden coaster) it makes me think extensive theming like Cobras Curse will be part of this.

If their theming of Cobra's Curse is any indication of the theming that will be added to this ride, it will be a great additional to the park.

We'll see. I'd like them to go a little crazy with theming on this ride.

I hope so too!

I'm so excited for my trip to BGW next summer. I'm in VA at the moment, but only had 1 day to do a park and I figured Kings Dominions was a better one day park, Busch Gardens definitely looked more like a 2 day park with everything in it.

For me, I wouldn't think either park needed two days, except maybe a Saturday, but if anything, I would think BGT requires more time than BGW, if you plan to see all the animal exhibits and shows at BGT. I've been to each a couple times and have done everything I wanted at each park in one day.

I'm torn. If you really enjoy the "cultural" side of parks then BGW is easily a 2 day park. They have a bunch of great shows, depending on what you're into. Several cool animal exhibits. With all of that, plus great rides (flats included) and great places to eat, you could easily spend more than a day there if you wanted to do all they had to offer, and do it at a relaxing pace. If you're going for rides, 1 day.

I'm torn. If you really enjoy the "cultural" side of parks then BGW is easily a 2 day park. They have a bunch of great shows, depending on what you're into. Several cool animal exhibits. With all of that, plus great rides (flats included) and great places to eat, you could easily spend more than a day there if you wanted to do all they had to offer, and do it at a relaxing pace. If you're going for rides, 1 day.

I think you hit the nail on the head here - The park is certainly doable in a day, but you'll miss out on a decent bit of stuff that you could do if you have a second day.

I had a great time at the park last Thursday despite the 105 heat index. The place was empty and all of the coasters were walk-ons. Also, the food and beer inside festhaus were great.

One thing though, I don't get the hype over Apollo's Chariot. I first rode it back in 2007 and was not impressed. I rode it a few more times again on this visit and still found it to be quite dull. Really, I get more air on back seat Morgan coasters. It's one of the most over-hyped coasters out there, IMO.

Otherwise, the rides here are great (absolutely love Alpengeist) and this park continues to be one of the better parks in the country.