TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

Are we watching the same POV? I just went back to watch it, and it looks great to me! Some of those little bunny hills look super intense to me. Just because it's not the most intense, mind-blowing coaster ever built doesn't mean it can't be a whole lot of fun. I think some of you concentrate too much on the intensity race and forget that rides are meant to be fun!

Are we watching the same POV? I just went back to watch it, and it looks great to me! Some of those little bunny hills look super intense to me. Just because it's not the most intense, mind-blowing coaster ever built doesn't mean it can't be a whole lot of fun. I think some of you concentrate too much on the intensity race and forget that rides are meant to be fun!

THIS!!!!!!

THIS!!!!!!

I think you've both missed the point. No-one is concentrating on the intensity race or complaining this isn't a mind blowing RMC or an Intamin woodie.

I watched the same POV and what I saw is what looks like a fun wooden roller-coaster that would be great for the whole family. The problem is the high height restriction means that it can't really be for the whole family and nothing in that POV says to me that high a restriction is needed.

If it was something along the lines of Grizzly Mine Cars at HKDL or Firechaser Express with a lower height restriction with an accompanying adult to fill the family ride gap or even this exact ride from a company who could provide a lower height restriction then it would have been a much better fit.

It's not necessarily the intensity of the ride that controls the height restriction, but it is ALWAYS the configuration of the restraint system. I'd be willing to bet that Great Coasters would have designed a brand new system that seats two adults comfortably per car but still can take riders as short as 42" tall for Invadr - but at what cost to Busch Gardens?

Pretty much all of Great Coasters'...coasters have been the same kind of ride - twisted wooden coaster, 80 to 120 feet tall, generally "high thrill". They never needed to make a ride with a lower height restriction because their coasters are typically some of the "most thrilling" in their respective parks - the kind of coaster that younger children would be too intimidated to experience. Because of that, they've never had to develop a car that hits the "sweet spot" of low height restriction and room for two adults. The Mini-lennium Flyer trains are only meant for narrower-gauge track, right? So, they have to spend all the time and resources to make a new design, and who fronts the bill? The first park to buy it.

Unfortunately, it would appear that by dropping Gwazi's rolling stock onto the new coaster, they're prioritizing budget over accessibility. We may not like it, but they're going to save a ton and have plenty of parts to spare to help keep it going.

First time poster. Looks like a fun little coaster, though the height requirement just misses the sweet spot that would be absolutely ideal for BGW. That being said, happy BGW is finally getting a woodie. I can't imagine InvadR will cost too much, much like Tempesto last year, athough this looks to be a more substantial addition. Hopefully BGW is on track to receive a major coaster in 2020, as they haven't been breaking the bank for these kind of additions.

Even if there is a thunderstorm, they do their best to keep everything open until they feel it is unsafe, then re-open as quickly as they safely can. They have their own weather radar in the park. Lightning within 15 miles of the park and winds over 40mph are what it takes to shut down the coasters if I recall (it's been a long time). The skyride tends do go down first, then water rides/coasters. If lightning is IN the area of the park, the flat rides shut down too, but tend to reopen quickly. Fortunately thunderstorms in VA tend to come and go rather quickly. It's rare for a ride to be down for more than 30 minutes - hour.

Also, unless the policy has changed in recent years, if any ride shuts down for weather even once the entire day, you can request a free "rain day ticket" to come back another time at guest relations. I hope they didn't get rid of that policy when the company changed hands. Our guests really appreciated it when I worked there.

• 2 weeks later...

InvadR reminds me of a small version of Prowler, just without that really twisty fun section after going under the lift hill. I do remember watching the animation for Prowler and being a little disappointed but Prowler has never disappointed me.

I was at the park with some friends today, and noticed some ground clearing between Le Scoot and the train station. Here are some shots of official InvadR dirt. These were taken from the train.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462656490.026183.jpg.971dca734f7a1a064b124e908a7457a2.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462656521.657456.jpg.9ac6f53a401d61575cad54d0d1149572.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cfc

I was at the park with some friends today, and noticed some ground clearing between Le Scoot and the train station. Here are some shots of official InvadR dirt. These were taken from the train.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462656490.026183.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462656521.657456.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you could call it InvaDiRt.

^^Thanks for that! Just saved $90 for myself and two friends visiting in July. Typically, how manageable is the park on a Wednesday in the middle of July? We're considering Quick Queue if wait times are likely to be over an hour. Thanks!

So word on the street (from many current ops) is Loch Ness is running two train opperation until further notice. The third train was on for a bit earlier this season, but they've pulled it off the track, perhaps indefinitely. I'm hearing it's not a maintenance issue, but a setup issue. If they can keep the line under control with two trains, they might keep it two trains permanently similar to rides like Iron Dragon and Orient Express did.

I'm not personally thrilled about this news if it pans out, but I guess the park is tired of having setups with 3 train days. I for one think 20 guests being inconvenienced for 3 minutes a few times a day is way better than all guests being inconvenienced with long lines all day every day, but who knows? I was always proud that LNM ran 3 trains despite other parks taking their older arrows down to 2 full time. It's a shame after almost 40 years of 3 train ops, they're considering two trains from now on. I was already mad when they neutered the lift one speed to reduce setups with a side effect being no more double loopers. But it'd be sad to see the ride consistently have the longest lines on high capacity days after being a capacity monster for decades.

Groupon is running a great offer for Busch Gardens and Water Country: https://www.groupon.com/deals/busch-gardens-williamsburg-43?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=deal_ita. If you'd like to hit both parks during a trip this summer, it's hard to beat $48.50.

Wow...That didn't last long. It says sold out now. We're coming to Kings Dominion and BGW this summer and this would have helped out a lot. Snooze you lose I guess.