TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I have a feeling that this park is going to be one of those parks that just gets progressively better and better each year. Maybe not by leaps and bounds, but just constant crowd pleasing additions in small doses. I doubt there will be many "wtf were they thinking moments", throughout the coming years.

Woah, seeing the steepness of the first drop, it's quite impressive in this small of scale. If Lightning Run become the hit of the industry, I would not be surprised if a few more popped up in the coming years at smaller parks that can't quite afford an expensive B&M or Intamin, but are looking to add a new, thrilling steel roller coaster to their lineup.

While I don't think we'll be seeing too many of the taller Morgan-inherited coasters coming out of Chance yet, I do see a lot of these smaller ones popping up. Although if Chance does get the opportunity to build a new 200ft tall coaster, I hope it'll use the new trains seen on Lightning Run. They just look a lot better than the old Morgan trains.

Is it just me, or does it look like the smaller support on the first drop is using an old Greezed Lightning footer?

^Given that each train has five cars, thee should be some ejector air in the back. I can't think of any ride which combines such long trains and such a steep drop, given the height.

The more I see of this coaster, the better and better it looks! That first drop is super steep and already is looking awesome! I love the layout too, as it twists and turns all around and through itself. If Lightning Run delivers the kind of ride we all think it might, then we could see a boom potentially for this model, as it could be the perfect fit for many smaller to mid-sized parks looking to deliver a thrill at a modest size and price.

Here is some up and close photos of Lightning Run that were sent to Screamscape.

Screamscape - Kentucky Kingdom News & Rumors

* Park News - (3/27/14) Screamscape has been sent some very special, up close and personal, photos of the new Lightning Run coaster at Kentucky Kingdom. I’m told that currently the coaster has installed about 75% of the track, with the lift hill and first drop sections being next on deck for installation, followed by the brake run and station track segments.

db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun1.jpg.4e0fe328fffc871097857b765e8d8fd7.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__2_1.jpg.cd29e69ebce7dc7d3b0a09e557a46343.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__3_1.jpg.ef7e0bd930c83c67683e80b433281d73.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__4_1.jpg.65f4e29a8ea810531269d10ed92cda39.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__5_1.jpg.359027b5bb31f6e83be015fe6a398112.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__6_1.jpg.a9921284b57d47e3e39421a6c0352d83.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__7_1.jpg.7358470474e82a6ece3dcb55e64d31bd.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__8_1.jpg.9cbfdf98a1965e16d708c5a59ee0061c.jpg db_2014_0326_KK_LightningRun__9_1.jpg.4a47c18abeeeafab15e4b39b7890dd5f.jpg

One thing I do like about Lighting Run on how close it will be running next to the Pirate Ship. During the old "Sick Flags" years, that poor Pirate Ship was all by its little lonesome, wondering if there would be anyone that would walk the long distance from the other attractions so they could ride it, making it feel like it isn't part of the park. Now that Lighting Run has its tracks nearby, Pirate Ship doesn't feel so lonely anymore. "Arrh," it replies gleefully. "I'm finally feel like I'm part of the park again with all the closeness I'm getting."

I also noticed that the other rides are feeling this closeness to one another. T2 is looking to part of the park too, even though it will be closed for this season, and I'm sure once work begins on the Twins, they'll build it so it'll feel closer to the park rather than feeling like its off the beaten path.

With all the rides coming closer and closer together, I'm sure this whole park will come together on Memorial Weekend.

ROLLER SKATER - TAKE A RIDE AROUND OUR RINK!!!