TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Got my season pass! Excited to check out my new home park this weekend. I'm sure it'll be crazy packed, but I'm only wanting to check out Goliath - I only got to ride once last year, in the front seat. I liked it but didn't love it, I'm thinking the back seat will change my opinion..

I was fortunate enough to go to the park yesterday with a member of CDW for their employee appreciation day. The park was really quiet in the morning and walked on X-Flight and Raging Bull. My buddy and I walked to Goliath first thing but they weren't even testing it yet which I found to be frustrating. When it did open later in the day, they were only running the red train with the orange train under the station in storage, which made the wait really long even though there weren't many people in line. I asked two ride ops about the orange train. One said that it wasn't ready yet because if it was they would be using it. The other ride op I asked said that it was ready, but that the park wasn't busy enough to warrant the use of the second train. While the second guy may be correct, I'm not sure I buy his answer. The park was busy enough to have 2 train operations on every ride except X-Flight, and Goliath is still the new hot ride at the park. Regardless, Goliath was running great. The turn around before the lift was much quieter than last year, and I was quite happy to see the fog still emanating from the bottom of the tunnel.

Here's a couple other tidbits I noticed:

The American Eagle Blue trains were not on the track yesterday and no where to be seen. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Batman looks great with it's new paint job.

The old SkyTrail spot looks terrible. It's a big ugly concrete pad with some footers still sticking out and a new smoking area. It needs a lot of sprucing up.

Although the paint job is not finished, the Carousel looked really weird. The colors will be great when it's finished, but the way they put the gold on the facade makes it look really sloppy, with lots of over spray and not very detailed. I'm sure that it will get cleaned up (at least I hope it will) before it's finished, but I was surprised that the gold paint was so haphazardly applied.

One other thing frustrated me a bit. I know that Six Flags shoots for Memorial Day weekend for their new rides to be open, but when a park is celebrating 40 seasons of thrills and is adding 3 small kiddie rides, why wouldn't you try to get that done before the park opens. The concrete pads aren't even poured yet. It's just frustrating to see most other seasonal parks open their park up for the season with the park ready to go, it makes me wonder how much Great America actually does in the off season.

This might be a bit odd to ask but when Goliath opened last year did anyone notice how short the lines were for the other coasters because I noticed it. This was on the day Goliath opened.

Actually I was going to mention that American Eagle and X-Flight can both be walk ons for the first 45 minutes or so of the park being open.... They will fill in after people get done with Goliath however...

This might be a bit odd to ask but when Goliath opened last year did anyone notice how short the lines were for the other coasters because I noticed it. This was on the day Goliath opened.

I went on a Sunday and Monday in mid July and all the coasters had at least 30 min wait all day..Thank god for flash passes.

We ended up having a pretty decent (but cold) day at the park today for Physics day. In about 5 hours we managed to hit every major coaster with a few re-rides! Almost everything was running two trains pretty efficiently, with the exception being X Flight (it took 30 min to go up just the stairs, and the dispatch times were about 2 minutes per train). The Dark Knight also took surprisingly long at 25 min. American Eagle was still running only the red side, with no blue train in sight, so it'll be interesting to see if that changes.

Around the park things are looking good with new paint jobs on some buildings/rides (to be expected) and the old igNight area is much more appealing and is cleaned up mostly. Some brief pictures....

sfgam8.jpg.654e469da5ad6f0de14e36610f50cef6.jpg

The carousel looks very nice, it may be tough to tell from this angle though.

sfgam2.jpg.f048ef98bd7bace0a6d910e9fb967624.jpg

A little closer look at the fresh paint.

sfgam6.jpg.6ac865584b98a717d692b0555c10365c.jpg

I'm assuming the flash pass area is freshly painted, but I'm not 100% positive.

sfgam3.jpg.743d9a08307f61994ecf4a3ef7778076.jpg

I didn't make it to the park last year, so I really don't know if this was there. Regardless, it's something kind of new.

sfgam5.thumb.jpg.c277b70766432d9843fd514bbed52171.jpg

I was surprised at how nice this looks, I just wish there was something more to go in the middle. I'm not sure how much use it will get since there's no shade either, but its nice to have something there.

sfgam1.jpg.6643a2e7792bb8dc2c7069ab47bd197e.jpg

Clearly it wasn't the best day in terms of weather. And you can see the open middle area as well.

sfgam7.jpg.846876b6b464a2c9b9ba231c5681505d.jpg

It may be hard to see in this picture, but Batman really does look good with its new paint. I also forgot how much kick this ride has.

sfgam4.jpg.348cd18ad02c27a8f97b45ac8321afb7.jpg

Even the Little Dipper and its area look great!

^ Half way through the season last year, they added a second ride on Goliath to the Platinum Flash Pass and there was not an additional upcharge to the PFP. I would guess that 2 rides for PFP would continue this season, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

I got quick question. I'm trying to buy 4 season passes (the buy 4+ passes get free parking pass deal), but when I click buy now nothing happens. Am I supposed to buy the passes under make a payment?

One season pass is for me and other three are for my friends (if I can do that).

^ If you'll be there in August, then yes, on any day of the week. If Goliath is your goal, you'll need Platinum.

What I was afraid of, but yup that's when I have to do it. Thanks for the info.

^ Half way through the season last year, they added a second ride on Goliath to the Platinum Flash Pass and there was not an additional upcharge to the PFP. I would guess that 2 rides for PFP would continue this season, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Thanks! I might be visiting in June and if I go I'll be spring for a Platinum Flash Pass.

And I saw on the website, you get one ride on Goliath even with the best fast pass, which is what you need of course.

Is this true? Guess any hopes of getting several rides on Goliath is fantasy, or I need to use the pass on lots of other rides and suck up a lot of wait time...