TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

I think a lot of amusement parks overestimate how many kiddie rides they should have, and they underestimate the power of a good, true family ride.

Quoted for truth.

But the kiddie rides are cheaper, so they try to fake it.

You guys obviously don't have any children. Tell that to my daughter who could ride a whopping 4 rides at Silver Dollar City last weekend. 2 if you remove the dark ride and the train. She rode that frog ride AT LEAST 10 times but was upset when she couldn't ride anything else. However, she is only 19 months old and only 31 inches tall but is a daredevil like her mom and dad!

I agree with Electerik that family rides are far more important than kiddie rides. You also need to consider whether a amusement park is the best place to take your 19 month old child. Im not even sure the Disney is the best place for a child of that age. There are so many other places that an infant can truly enjoy.

^Your kidding right?. She can practically ride every ride at Disney and she knows every character and has a blast at the parks. Do you have children? I know the general rule of thumb is to not take kids under 5 to disney because they wont remember it but the parents WILL REMEMBER and there will be plenty of photos and videos to keep as mementos. We have a blast at Disney AS A FAMILY, no matter how old Caroline is.

^ You're right (at least in my case). I guess it was wrong of me to assume that people with children would prefer to ride something they and the child could enjoy together.

No, I agree there needs to be more rides the whole family can enjoy. That is why we love Disney so much. We are able to ride most everything there as a family, even with a 19 month old! I do think some of the height requirements on alot of the smaller rides are a little bogus. For instance, there were more kids rides at SDC that she couldnt ride, even with an adult but at other parks, we were able to(flying elephants for example..no go at SDC but a go at Disney).

^ That's what the original quote I was agreeing with was all about: Have rides that everyone can enjoy together, instead of trying to appeal to families by adding a bunch of (just) kiddie rides.

Pretty much what Disneyland was founded on.

In Soviet Russia, theme park burns you!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hahaha Simpson's quote!

"In Soviet Russia, car drives you!"

um.... yakov smirnoff.... am I really that old? The simpsons didn't invent all of their jokes, they borrow from popular culture like every other show.

-James Dillaman

No, I agree there needs to be more rides the whole family can enjoy. That is why we love Disney so much. We are able to ride most everything there as a family, even with a 19 month old! I do think some of the height requirements on alot of the smaller rides are a little bogus. For instance, there were more kids rides at SDC that she couldnt ride, even with an adult but at other parks, we were able to(flying elephants for example..no go at SDC but a go at Disney).

That was my point, actually. A good family ride is something that anyone could ride, regardless if they had a kid with them or not. I don't hear too many people with or without kids talking about how they don't much care for coasters, but they visit parks to ride Frog Hoppers by themselves.

At Disneyland, Pirates, Small World, Nemo, Peter Pan, Mr Toad, Snow White and Jungle Cruise are all rides that you can ride with the whole family, and you wouldn't feel funny about riding by yourself (like you would on a Frog Hopper). They aren't "kiddie" rides. I would classify the Thomas, Nick, Wiggles, Sesame Street, Looney Tunes, and whatever other randomly themed areas there are out there at parks as kiddie areas.

Let's face it, most people's 2 year olds aren't begging to go to the local theme park unless mom or dad told them about it, so adding additional kiddie product does nothing to attract more people. However, adding a good family ride (dark ride, water ride, whatever) that mom and dad would want to experience *with* their kids, that's a winning idea.

And Electerik, you're absolutely right about faking it. Adding kiddie rides allows a park to advertise *something* new for the current year on a budget, but that's about it.

All right then, after reading pages and pages of insights, I think it's time to add my own thoughts.

1) New Name (changing the name from HARD ROCK PARK to FREESTYLE MUSIC PARK) - I'm not that thrilled with the new name - I would have preferred something like MAGIC HARBOR (can anyone remember that park)!!!

2) The former Led Zepplin ride - Here's a better idea: why not paint it YELLOW and call it YELLOW SUBMARINE : THE RIDE?

3) Closing Nights in White Satin dark ride- I thinks this sucks BIG TIME ("Nuff Said!")!!!

In conclusion, I have this problem: that I am hopelessly optimistic and probably think this park could work out all the details and be successful. Still, I think I better take one more trip out there cos it may be the last time I'd get to visit this park. But I may not be able to enjoy this park like I did last year because I'm feeling that this park is getting "watered down".

Please, Prove Me Wrong On That Aspect.

For instance, there were more kids rides at SDC that she couldnt ride, even with an adult but at other parks, we were able to(flying elephants for example..no go at SDC but a go at Disney).

slightly off topic tagent: That's probably due to the fact Disney lists themselves as the manufacturer. Which means they get to set the rules. Other parks are at the mercy of what the manufacturer sets.

FREESTYLE MUSIC PARK UNVEILS NEW “KIDS IN AMERICA” CHILDREN’S AREA AND FOUR NEW CHILDREN’S RIDES

April 22, 2009, Myrtle Beach, S.C. – Freestyle Music Park today unveiled the Park’s new children’s area, “Kids In America,” along with four new children’s rides, which will be located in “Kids In America.” In addition, Park representatives announced the formation of the Freestyle Music Park Kid’s Foundation.

With “Kids In America,” Freestyle Music Park has created a specific area where children, parents and grandparents can enjoy the best in family amusement and entertainment together on four family-friendly rides.

“Life Is A Highway” is a flat-track ride that puts guests in the cab of an 18 wheeler. Each cab has two children seats and two adult seats, allowing families to ride together around the track.

“Wheels In The Sky” allows guests to enjoy peddling through the clouds in colorful hang glider carts. Once the ride begins, riders can enjoy the rush as they swoop and fly through the sky.

“Fly Like An Eagle” is a traditional kite flyer ride that combines the sensation of free flight with the feeling of ocean waves. It allows parent and child to enjoy flying through the clouds together over “Kids In America.”

“Get Off Of My Cloud” offers guests a spectacular view of Freestyle Music Park. Consisting of eight festive and colorful balloon baskets for riders, which can each accommodate up to four children and adults.

In addition to the new rides, a roller coaster, performance venue featuring a new themed show, play area, rock wall and basketball court will be featured in “Kids In America.”

The Freestyle Music Park Kid’s Foundation will provide tickets, merchandise and in-kind services throughout the season for children’s charities in the Myrtle Beach area. While representatives continue to finalize the logistics behind this program, as opening day draws near, additional information about the Freestyle Music Park Kid’s Foundation will be released.

In honor of today’s unveiling, and in observance of Earth Day 2009, Freestyle Music Park saved a tree that would have been impacted by the changes in the former “Cool Country” area of the Park and transplanted it into the “Kids In America” area of the Park.

“The unveiling of the new ‘Kids In America’ area is a representation of our commitment to providing a superior family-friendly entertainment experience for Freestyle Music Park guests,” said John Stine, director of sales and marketing for Freestyle Music Park. “We are excited about the new area, the new rides and moving forward toward our Memorial Day weekend grand opening. It is our feeling that 2009 will be a stellar season for guests of Freestyle Music Park. We are also proud to announce the formation of the Freestyle Music Park Kids Foundation, as local children’s charities are near and dear to the entire Freestyle Music Park family. We are well on our way to a successful first season and invite everyone to come and experience all Freestyle Music Park has to offer.”

freestylemusicpark.com/blog/

I think it is great that the park is going to be doing charitable work...especially since they haven't even been open a season to see if they will turn out a profit before they give away the store.

Does anybody else find it interesting that the original concept of the park is sex, drugs, and rock and roll...now it Wiggles World and Barney?

And I don't really agree with the waterpark thing in this kind of situation. Hershey - yes. But in this situation, the beach is the main water attraction and it is hard to get people away from that.

I don't know, Jay. In this situation (Myrtle Beach in general) take 10 families of four, put 'em in the family car, and drive them by an area with a beach and a water park. You're willing to bet that 51% or more of those kids are gonna be begging for sandcastles over colorful water slides and play structures?

I'll push all in on the water park ANY day.

Ok. I agree with that. But there are already a couple of waterparks in prime areas in Mytrle Beach. What would the park be able to do to attract people to make the journey over to the park from their beachfront hotels, and the busy section of town. I think it really comes down to their location, and being able to attract business.

I completely understand that. I think a waterpark would be a very good thing, but a big waste of money unless they can find a way to strategically market the new product, and get people away from the beachside attractions. In my opinion it sounds good, but it would be a big waste of money because I don't think they could make it work.

Concerning my big idea of converting the formal Led Zepplin ride into the Yellow Submarine, Jarmor wrote:

yellow submarine the ride: you cannot be serious

and ginzo added to the post with this:

How about Lawsuit: The Ride?

Well, since you think my idea sucks a big one, what do you think this ride should be called?

How about:

Average B&M Sit-down With A Great Color Scheme*, Blimp That Is Now Out Of Place, In A Park That Will Soon Be Closed Again.

Or ABSWAGCSBTINOOPIAPTWSBCA for short?

* This would refer to the track and supports, obviously. Not the unfortunate makeover to the blimp applied by the new color blind creative department.