TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Phobias and Fear

Fears, & things that 'disturb' or horrify me

Pool drains & some other drains

So basically your afraid because of The Final Destination to me thats like fear of taking a crap on a plane , thats got an internal system and septic unit so peoples for on planes is irrational.

My major question for you though, is WHY...may I ask WHY be afraid of holes in swiss cheese? Sorry about laughing but just because they aren't the same shape or size?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been claustrophobic for quite abit. I hate being trapped in crowds the most. I hate being trapped in general. It's not really surprizing I have it either because of my condition.

Mentioned this before afew times, heights. Falling to be exact. I'm not really afraid of flying on a plane but I can't walk across a suspension bridge or go ziplining without freaking out. Heights on a coaster don't bother me much as I know I can't fall off easily.

I have OCD so Here's a whole list:

-Getting poisoned

-Going to Hell

-Fire Alarms

-Parent's Dying

-Me Dying

-Vomiting

-Rejection from college (I actually obsess about it)

-Joining The military

-And last but not least, thinking I'll get so fat I won't be able to fit on Coasters

Heights. I'm working on that one. Surprisingly, I wasn't afraid at all, on the Cabo zipline excursion, so I guess I'm getting better.

Claustrophobia - this one is pretty severe, and leads into my hatred of crowded busses. I almost had a full-blown panic attack on a crowded WDW bus, a few years ago.

Dentists - I am really ashamed to say that, from age 18 until age 40, I went to the dentist only twice. Last year, I had a severe tooth infection and needed an extraction. It was a nightmare. I lived with that pain for over a month, before I finally got up the nerve to make an appointment. The weird thing is, I have no fear of actual dental work. It's just going to a dental office, sitting in the chair, and having to face the dentist that freaks me out. I think it's a disapproval thing - that I'm afraid they are going to think, "what a horrible person who neglects her dental health!"

Social anxiety - I'm fearful of talking to people in social situations. Etiquette confounds me, and I'm always afraid I will say/do something offensive or embarrassing. Again - disapproval issues. Since my son has been diagnosed with high functioning autism, though, I've noticed a lot of my quirks in him, and wonder if I have some underlying Asperger's, or something.

Sudden loud noises - this is one of the things I have in common with my son. Fire alarms, balloons popping, fireworks, gunshots, etc. I remember being in school, knowing there would be a fire drill that day, and not being able to focus on anything because I was so freaked out about the alarm going off.

I'm sure there are some that I'm forgetting, but those are the biggies.

Oh yeah, and sudden loud noises for me too. I have a condition called hyperacusis, which is characterized by a heightened sensitivity to sound. Those "supersonic hand dryers" that are popping up in washrooms everywhere are pretty bad. If I hear one going off, I head for the accessible/family room instead so I don't have to deal with the sound.

I have Aspergers/Autism myself, which is why claustrophobia and hyperacusis are not surprizing for me (and also explains my odd behavior every here and there). Has your son ever had his hearing checked? He could have some sort of hyperacusis.

I've never had it checked, beyond the normal school screenings. I know that he has heightened sound sensitivity, though. Certain things drive him crazy - we had a ceiling fan in our old house that really bothered him, and we couldn't take him into any theatres for a long time, because it bothered his ears. He seems to be outgrowing some of that, though.

The fire drills don't seem to bother him anymore. His school was very accomodating, though. They would always come and take him out of the classroom and bring him outside, before they set off the alarm.

^^Its funny, when I was younger I used to hate loud-sudden noises as well. From elementary school thru about 6th or 7th grade I too would not be able to focus whenever I knew there'd be a fire drill at school. The sudden noise of the alarm going off would really bother me. After a while it wouldn't phase me as bad, but I remember being in 1st or 2nd grade and not wanting to go to school the next day after a fire drill, lol. Looking back at it now it seems quite ridiculous. Loud sudden noises still bother me sometimes, within reason though.

And also about the previous vomit discussion, I've been at parks waiting in a line for a while, and when getting close to the front seeing someone vomit while on the ride, requiring a cleanup and me choosing not to ride anymore. I think it bothered me most if it was my row I was waiting for. The thought of me possibly being in the same seat within the time frame bothers me.

• 1 month later...
My major question for you though, is WHY...may I ask WHY be afraid of holes in swiss cheese? Sorry about laughing but just because they aren't the same shape or size?

LOL!

I don't think it's really a "fear" (more of a "horror"), but I always cringe and recoil at the site of Swiss cheese. I have to examine all the holes (preferably against a high-contrast background), then flip the slice over and examine them from the other side. I don't feel comfortable until the cheese is safely inside my sandwich or mouth.

I think the holes subconsciously remind me of wounds. As a child, I was probably disturbed by some kind of comparable image.

I also can't stand those frogs that give birth out of holes in their back!

^^^^^^ & ^^,

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the sudden loud noises issue. While I'm not exactly thrilled with fire alarms, I'm not afraid of them. However, balloons popping, fireworks (sometimes), and those little f%#king poppers that you can throw on the ground...I hate those! I guess I've grown out of it enough that it's not much of an issue for me anymore. When I was a kid, I would have rather been in a room full of tarantulas and scorpions than a room full of balloons. I'm not that way anymore. However, if someone holds a balloon and pin in front of me and threatens to pop it, my response will likely be something along the lines of "Keep doing that, and your jaw will have a meeting with my fist!"

-Doug "Ban balloons!" Heim

For me, I am afraid of ANY sized spider. Also I'm claustraphobic. I think it happened because when I was little, my brother thought it was funny to stuff my head between the couch cusions or squish it under a pillow.

• 3 months later...

I have to say I have Mottephobia or fear of moths. God damned those things are scary! It's horrible! The way they clumsily flap their wings about like some idiotic, satanic freak and have dark bodies, it's hard not to show some spite towards them. The bigger they are, the worse they are; especially the big, juicy ones! They will come into your room and fly in seemingly random patterns but really, it's their way of giving you the two fingers BALRGH! And how they reside to the wall and sit there, hours on end, without a care in the world and the moment you walk past, the start flailing their wings about and flop around your face. Can't they all have a mass suicide and fly to the largest light source; the sun? I can't look at one, not even a photo.I was once in the bathroom with one and there was no way of getting rid of it. It got on the door handle so I was too afraid to open the door to get out. That's how bad it is...

I am horribly afraid of spiders. Not like "eek, a Spider!" but like hyperventalate, cry and pass out (not necessarily in that order ) There is a reason though, I was stung by a scorpion in my crib as an infant, and have been bitten - not once, but twice, by a Brown Recluse.

Also afraid of large bodies of open, deep water. All that space, and you can't see what is underneath :::shudders:::: Shipwrecks, for example, horrify me. Those huge things under the water that you can't see are just awful.

Clowns are evil.

David

Also afraid of large bodies of open, deep water. All that space, and you can't see what is underneath :::shudders:::: Shipwrecks, for example, horrify me. Those huge things under the water that you can't see are just awful.

I hear ya, man. Oceans, big lakes, even really deep pools, are NOT where I'd like to be. I remember seeing a video of the world's deepest pool (it's somewhere in Germany or France, like 130 feet deep), and I had to turn the video off. You couldn't even see the bottom of the pool! Terrifying.

For a while, I had a fear of walk-around mascots at theme parks, events, sport games, etc. Even if they were 50 feet away, I always steered as far away from their path as possible...afraid that they may touch me. This ended when I was 14, when i forced myself to hug Snoopy at Cedar Point. It was a very awkward moment.

Anyhoo, I still have a fear of crab, lobsters, crawdads, etc. Whether they be alive, dead, cooked, or whatever, they still scare me like hell. When I'm at the buffet, and I see crab legs, I'm outta that section. Also, because of these bastards, I'm afraid to go anywhere near Japan