TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Im just excited to be going to parks again! That I can put my CF platinum pass to use, get to move beyond the 2 towns that have been my life the past year! Been wanting to get back to KI since I went in 2018? God I dont even remember ha 
Speaking of....I see the KI FastLane is now on sale. 

OK so on normal days, what crowds would be expected on a weekday in Early June/are schools out? Last time park was quiet, no need for a FastLane but ya know...things are a little weird these days. I dont think I'm gunna pull the trigger on it, but is tempting. 

It looks like reservations only need to be made for Soak City.  Can anyone else verify this, or am I staring at something and completely missing it?   

Made my CP reservation earlier, trying to get in to make a Carowinds reservation now.  It says there is "over an hour wait".  Can we use our season long FastLane to jump this line?  🙃

Edit: just saw it on the website that it's only for SC.  My apologies for being a dumb old man...

A nice touch.  I guess the wooden block-style logos that made up the originals would've been too much (and a return to buzz-bars and skid brakes, LOL), but still a nice touch.  Nostalgia is always good.

This Saturday the 8th? It's pass-holders only so not likely to be too bad.

Next Saturday the 15th?  Weather Channel is calling for 73 degrees and partly cloudy.  I'd say it'll probably be a mess, between new employees, early-season bugs, crowds of people eager to get out and do something now that they're vaccinated, perfect amusement park weather....yeah, likely a mess.  Better splurge for that FL+.

I'll be there the evening of the 14th and all day on the 15th myself, but I've got a Platinum Pass with the All-Season FL+ so I'm not worried.

7 minutes ago, coasternut said:

No trip reports from opening day??? How was it? I see it's raining there today.

Yesterday was sunny 

cold

very crowded

good 2 b back

Yeah I think people underestimate just how many passholders Kings Island has.  I stopped by for a few hours yesterday but once I saw that the line for Chick-fil-A had nearly reached the Eiffel Tower, it was definitely time to bail. 

It was nice to see full trains on Orion and Diamondback back to running all three trains.   

For those desperate for details, I'll be going next weekend and will be sure to provide a comprehensive report.

7 hours ago, undercoverunicorn13 said:

Trying to make it on most of the rides without splurging for FL+

Wrong answer.

Has anyone ridden Orion with full trains? Does it feel any faster?

^^ Yeah, unfortunately Saturday was quite packed.  Even the FL waits were pushing 15-30 minutes per ride from reports I've seen elsewhere.  I would expect opening Sunday to be similar (remember, this past weekend was passholders only).  Without Fast Lane, expect to wait at least an hour for Orion, Mystic Timbers and Flight of Fear (still only loading half the rows on that one since it's indoors), and at least 30-45 minutes for everything else.  

^I only had one ride on fully-loaded Orion but it was definitely hauling, and quite smooth as well.  Maybe it's purely psychological.  Who knows.  It was also nice to hear some of the reactions from the other riders, most of which were probably riding for the first time.  Many were blown away.  

not to open up any can of worms, just opinion here - but seeing pics from Passholder Preview opening (and yes, it looked packed). . I'm honestly shocked to see so many people without masks.

yes, I know the park relaxed Mask Policies in outdoor areas - but I've seen station pics (with people crammed together) and many without any masks on.  
I thought they were still requiring masks on rides ?     

or is that another park I'm thinking of?

regardless, my 1st ever visit to this park is in July, and I'm going to be bringing along cloth masks, and expect to be wearing them most of the time I'm in the park.

You're thinking of another park.  KI's site says masks are required indoors and outdoors "when social distancing isn't possible."  Given the CDC's ever-changing guidance as to what counts as "social distancing," I'd say the people in the photos are good.

• Like 2

Agreed that we shouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole here, but from my (brief) visit on Saturday, employees and some of the guests were wearing masks, but other than that, it was as if there was never a pandemic in the first place.  I did not see any enforcement of mask-wearing at Orion or Diamondback.  Things may have been different on indoor rides like Flight of Fear, though.

Personally this doesn't bother me too much but I could see how it would make others feel uncomfortable.  

Well, there is a NYT article today that said outdoor transmission is less than 1% and maybe less than 0.1%, if it makes anyone feel better 🤷‍♂️

Enough of this... seriously. Everyone has made up their minds on where they stand on it and what they're comfortable with. We're 14 months in now. Nothing productive will come out of this and nobody will change anyone's mind. Let's talk about the park itself.

• Like 1

^ you're right, I should know better (tho in my defense, I thought I was posting about the park - asking question about park policies).

I'm very much looking forward to my first ever visit, and tho not expecting/planning to get fast lane - there for 2 days for CoasterStock, so expect will get plenty enough (for me) rides on the "big" coasters - I'm not seeing very much unique in terms of flats at the park.   Mainly, I'm just seeing stuff that's at several other CF parks.  

Not that "not unique" will stop me from riding them. . but does KI have any unique flats that are worth checking out?   

Not really. Delirium is excellent though. It's basically identical to Maxair. Also, the flume will soak you to the bone for no reason despite being tiny.

Check out the patio behind the Brewhouse. It's a fantastic spot to hang out and have a drink. It's also right on the splashdown pool for Diamondback.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Enough of this... seriously. Everyone has made up their minds on where they stand on it and what they're comfortable with. We're 14 months in now. Nothing productive will come out of this and nobody will change anyone's mind. Let's talk about the park itself.

14 months later and I still have to explain to confused Asian students that this is actually even a thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ you're right, I should know better (tho in my defense, I thought I was posting about the park - asking question about park policies).

I'm very much looking forward to my first ever visit, and tho not expecting/planning to get fast lane - there for 2 days for CoasterStock, so expect will get plenty enough (for me) rides on the "big" coasters - I'm not seeing very much unique in terms of flats at the park.   Mainly, I'm just seeing stuff that's at several other CF parks.  

Not that "not unique" will stop me from riding them. . but does KI have any unique flats that are worth checking out?   

Bert you will love their antique cars. They refurbed a few years ago and it was really well done. The flume is strangely good for as small as it is. Rapids nothing special but they do interact with MT. You are right that we probably won't need to get FL for Coasterstock, they generally make sure every single coaster is on ert. The only caveat to that being that it is usually in May so the Friday wasn't too bad with crowds, but this year with it being July that might be different.

Although personally I consider Tom & Chee to be an attraction worthy of all the accolades. 

• Like 2