TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I have never been on Voyage, but I assume the airtime is similar to El Toro's. If so, in that case, the airtime will probably be your typical B&M Hyper airtime, not El Toro or Maverick crazy ejector air, more like Nitro floater air with just a hint of ejector...which isn't a bad thing at all, Nitro is one of my favorite coasters.

IMHO, El Toro airtime >> Apollo's Chariot airtime >Voyage airtime

(At least Voyage 2007 airtime as that's the only year I got to ride it).

Based on the speed that the Diamond back trains appear to be going over the hills, my prediction is that the airtime Diamondback produces will not be on the El Toro level, but should be one of the more extream B&M hypers airtime wise. Maybe not exactly ejector air, but certainly some strong/long floater air.

^And where does Phoenix figure into this?

I'm imagining this will be like Nitro, but with much more air. If DB really has as much air as it advertises, I'd expect somewhere around Phoenix or Voyage airtime...and for that, I certainly wouldn't be displeased.

^Actually I don't think they are going to slow it down any. What do you mean breaks applied?

I have seen the ride test before and you can clearly hear the mcbr breaks. They do not do much at all to slow it down. I have seen it test a number of times and each time the coaster flying over every camel back.

What I mean is as the coaster "breaks in", it will speed up. When it does, the breaks will be tuned up more and more to correct the speed. I saw the same thing happen to Goliath at SFOG. During testing, that thing hauled some major ass and rides during the media day were mind blowing. Later on that fall, you could tell the brakes were being applied harder and even now they hit even harder.

I am just being realistic. B&Ms tend to speed up and require more "speed correction" as the days, months, and years go by. Wildfire at Silver Dollar City rarely had their brakes applied in the early years. Now, both sets of brakes hit pretty regularly. I just wanted to prepare everyone for the inevitable.

What I mean is as the coaster "breaks in", it will speed up. When it does, the breaks will be tuned up more and more to correct the speed. I saw the same thing happen to Goliath at SFOG. During testing, that thing hauled some major a$$ and rides during the media day were mind blowing. Later on that fall, you could tell the brakes were being applied harder and even now they hit even harder.

I am just being realistic. B&Ms tend to speed up and require more "speed correction" as the days, months, and years go by. Wildfire at Silver Dollar City rarely had their brakes applied in the early years. Now, both sets of brakes hit pretty regularly. I just wanted to prepare everyone for the inevitable.

Wow I feel dumb. For some odd reason, maybe the lack of school this week, I thought that May 1st cam before April 1st.

Ok now I completely understand what you mean. My bad!

What I mean is as the coaster "breaks in", it will speed up. When it does, the breaks will be tuned up more and more to correct the speed. I saw the same thing happen to Goliath at SFOG. During testing, that thing hauled some major a$$ and rides during the media day were mind blowing. Later on that fall, you could tell the brakes were being applied harder and even now they hit even harder.

You build it to go a certain height and speed...and if I was KI and Diamondback was going too fast, enough to where they would have to crank up the trim brake, I'd be pissed. I would never build a ride just to get cut back worse and worse. If this happens, I will personally complain. I really hope KI doesn't screw up this amazing coaster.

Doesn't a speed correction imply that in the end the ride will be going the same speed as it did at opening? Increased speed over time + increased brake application = same original speed... does it not? Unless of course you mean the brakes are being applied harder to a train traveling the same speed, not faster.

^ I understand what you are saying, but the ride usually has an operating range of speed for every given section of the ride so the ride exhudes the appropriate g-forces required by ATSM standards. Say the speed exceeds the range and the brakes are applied. After the brakes are applied the ride might be back in the range of speed but in the lower range of speed, thus slowing the ride from the original state. I am not saying this will happen, but it has happened on other coasters, not just B&M coasters.

Also, brakes are applied due to maintenance reasons (Superman Ulimate Escape, Mean Streak, and Texas Giant come to mind) which allows the ride to operate in the lower range of the operating speed. If the speed causes more maintenance, the park could apply the brakes to give the ride a longer lifespan.

^Actually I don't think they are going to slow it down any. What do you mean breaks applied?

To compare, you can go back and watch the Behemoth testing videos. The first videos show it going pretty fast. In particular it flies over the last bunny hill.

But the breaks were turned up, an the ride slowed down to a more normal speed for opening.

So the speed it's running now isn't guaranteed to be how it will run at opening.

^

I agree with you on this one Chris.

Raging Bull @ SFGAM is the same way, now people ride it and say I don't know what all the hype was all about. When Raging Bull first opened it was a incredible coaster, even the first 3-4 years.

Now the coaster is trimmed pretty hard. Their is a section just before the mid course brakes that is getting pretty rough and a couple of sections the last half of the ride.

I agree that DB will probably be tugged on by the brakes a bit more than it currently is. However, one thing of note is the placement of the brakes, especially compared to the other coasters mentioned.

Diamondback doesn't encounter any sort of brake until the lone trim one hill shy of the MCBR. Which means the three largest drops and the hammerhead will (in theory) be traversed just as fast as they currently are. Compared to Behemoth and Raging Bull, this is a decently large amount of ride that simply can't be affected by any brakes (at least not yet).

Again, I'm expecting the MCBR to have a bit more influence than it currently does, but I'm fully expecting the first part to fly like it is now.