TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

7 hours ago, undercoverunicorn13 said:

Trying to make it on most of the rides without splurging for FL+

Wrong answer.

Has anyone ridden Orion with full trains? Does it feel any faster?

^^ Yeah, unfortunately Saturday was quite packed.  Even the FL waits were pushing 15-30 minutes per ride from reports I've seen elsewhere.  I would expect opening Sunday to be similar (remember, this past weekend was passholders only).  Without Fast Lane, expect to wait at least an hour for Orion, Mystic Timbers and Flight of Fear (still only loading half the rows on that one since it's indoors), and at least 30-45 minutes for everything else.  

^I only had one ride on fully-loaded Orion but it was definitely hauling, and quite smooth as well.  Maybe it's purely psychological.  Who knows.  It was also nice to hear some of the reactions from the other riders, most of which were probably riding for the first time.  Many were blown away.  

not to open up any can of worms, just opinion here - but seeing pics from Passholder Preview opening (and yes, it looked packed). . I'm honestly shocked to see so many people without masks.

yes, I know the park relaxed Mask Policies in outdoor areas - but I've seen station pics (with people crammed together) and many without any masks on.  
I thought they were still requiring masks on rides ?     

or is that another park I'm thinking of?

regardless, my 1st ever visit to this park is in July, and I'm going to be bringing along cloth masks, and expect to be wearing them most of the time I'm in the park.

You're thinking of another park.  KI's site says masks are required indoors and outdoors "when social distancing isn't possible."  Given the CDC's ever-changing guidance as to what counts as "social distancing," I'd say the people in the photos are good.

• Like 2

Agreed that we shouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole here, but from my (brief) visit on Saturday, employees and some of the guests were wearing masks, but other than that, it was as if there was never a pandemic in the first place.  I did not see any enforcement of mask-wearing at Orion or Diamondback.  Things may have been different on indoor rides like Flight of Fear, though.

Personally this doesn't bother me too much but I could see how it would make others feel uncomfortable.  

Enough of this... seriously. Everyone has made up their minds on where they stand on it and what they're comfortable with. We're 14 months in now. Nothing productive will come out of this and nobody will change anyone's mind. Let's talk about the park itself.

• Like 1

^ you're right, I should know better (tho in my defense, I thought I was posting about the park - asking question about park policies).

I'm very much looking forward to my first ever visit, and tho not expecting/planning to get fast lane - there for 2 days for CoasterStock, so expect will get plenty enough (for me) rides on the "big" coasters - I'm not seeing very much unique in terms of flats at the park.   Mainly, I'm just seeing stuff that's at several other CF parks.  

Not that "not unique" will stop me from riding them. . but does KI have any unique flats that are worth checking out?   

Not really. Delirium is excellent though. It's basically identical to Maxair. Also, the flume will soak you to the bone for no reason despite being tiny.

Check out the patio behind the Brewhouse. It's a fantastic spot to hang out and have a drink. It's also right on the splashdown pool for Diamondback.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Enough of this... seriously. Everyone has made up their minds on where they stand on it and what they're comfortable with. We're 14 months in now. Nothing productive will come out of this and nobody will change anyone's mind. Let's talk about the park itself.

14 months later and I still have to explain to confused Asian students that this is actually even a thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ you're right, I should know better (tho in my defense, I thought I was posting about the park - asking question about park policies).

I'm very much looking forward to my first ever visit, and tho not expecting/planning to get fast lane - there for 2 days for CoasterStock, so expect will get plenty enough (for me) rides on the "big" coasters - I'm not seeing very much unique in terms of flats at the park.   Mainly, I'm just seeing stuff that's at several other CF parks.  

Not that "not unique" will stop me from riding them. . but does KI have any unique flats that are worth checking out?   

Bert you will love their antique cars. They refurbed a few years ago and it was really well done. The flume is strangely good for as small as it is. Rapids nothing special but they do interact with MT. You are right that we probably won't need to get FL for Coasterstock, they generally make sure every single coaster is on ert. The only caveat to that being that it is usually in May so the Friday wasn't too bad with crowds, but this year with it being July that might be different.

Although personally I consider Tom & Chee to be an attraction worthy of all the accolades. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

Although personally I consider Tom & Chee to be an attraction worthy of all the accolades. 

Absolutely second this notion!  I go back and forth between this place and Melt at CP as having the better grilled cheese sandwich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherkim said:

knew I was gonna ask. .what the heck is "Tom & Chee' ?

edit:  ok, googled.. it's basically Melt.

but we are gonna  have some catered meals, so not sure I'll splurge elsewhere. . will play by ear.

as to how packed - i'm not a "multiple rerides" person. . so if I get a couple of rides on each "big" coaster during ERT during Coasterstock, I'll be good

and if it ends up being super packed and have to wait in some lines?  I'm good with that, as it gives me a break.
(y'all are most certainly not obligated to spend the full time with me :P. . I'm sure y'all will wanna go ride big stuff while I'm like: "I'm in the mood for multiple rides on the Carousel right now")

Man, the love for Tom+Chee and Melt really fascinates me.  Personally I consider those places highly overpriced piles of calories 🙃 although I've never had either at a park, so perhaps what they offer under the dining plan is a good value.  I could also see how these places would appeal to non-Ohioans over the usual Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, etc.  A lot of people seem to rave about the blue ice cream as well.

Yeah, Kings Island unsurprisingly has the feel of a corporate park, but I agree that the antique cars are not to be overlooked.  Maybe take a lap on the train as well (entrance is back past Mystic Timbers), they provide some decent info about the park's history.  The main takeaways I get from the park are a very respectable coaster collection, fairly reliable rides overall (highlighted by the 3 B&Ms), very efficient ride operations, and a pretty solid children's area (although beware, Flying Ace Aerial Chase will beat you up, should you choose to partake).

1 minute ago, bert425 said:

Think grilled cheese and tomato soup.  Not exactly my first choice for a meal during the hot summer, but a lot of people really enjoy it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bert425 said:

The most amazing Grilled Cheese "hut" (it's like a permanent cart/food truck sorta thingy) that ever was or ever will be! If I drive the 6 hours to KI and every ride is down but Tom & Chee is open it was worth the drive. Way better than Melt in my experience, although I only ate at Melt once to be fair.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

(although beware, Flying Ace Aerial Chase will beat you up, should you choose to partake).

Vekoma flyer, right?

if yes, then I rode it at Carrowinds, and it (like Flight of Fear & Stunt Coaster) won't be super high on my ride list, unless I just want a break and spend some time "relaxing" in a line).

Unfortunately the Vekoma Flyer (Firehawk) was taken down in order to make way for Orion.  That was a pretty solid ride.

Flying Ace Aerial Chase is one of the older Vekoma suspended family coasters.  I think I've heard the term "hang-and-bang" used to describe these.  Similar to Kiddy Hawk at Carowinds.  It is for children.  Something only the true credit wh*res of the world will choose to ride :D

image.thumb.png.08dcb2da37f82c4d2bf063751bf9a5ad.png

Yeah, I really liked Firehawk, sad to see that one go. Vortex I didn't mind terribly, but it wasn't great and I don't miss it.

Flying Ace Aerial Chase is a bad coaster. I've ridden similar models at other parks that are smooth and enjoyable, and KI's just isn't. Scrap it and replace it with another children's coaster; the fact that they have 4 is hilarious and awesome and they should keep it up.

Unfortunately Melt isn't on the meal plan at CP....but all of you casting dispersion on it, what is wrong with you?  Not only is their standard grilled cheese awesome, their grilled cheese burger is quite good and their "fried mac & cheese on a grilled cheese" is incredible.  The mac & cheese side is also pretty damned good, and they're a full service bar so you can get your drink on too.

Tom + Chee thankfully is on the meal plan at KI (but sadly only the standard offerings).  Their most awesome, the grilled cheese donut, is not.

Miami River Brewhouse is also a great food option at KI, and has the bonus of being a full service bar as well.  Them, and Tom + Chee, are why I always get the all-day dining plan at KI.

Just don't bother trying the pizza, neither from the one near Beast, the one in the Festhaus, nor the one on international street - it is all disgusting.  The breadsticks are pretty good though.

• Like 2