TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^^ I think it was due to the roughness. For a test run like that, it looks even worse than Hades360's tunnel

It probably was very rough, but it was legendary. Kinda like how I think of the Georgia Cyclone on a good day - in the perfect conditions, which in my two trips to SFOG means single-train rain ops on a slow day, Cyclone is horribly rough, but one of the most intense rides that you'll ever see.

On another note, is the Beast neutering a case of "Weak and Loop-Loving GP Syndrome", AKA the thing I like to complain about and blame as the reason for a lack of Mega Lites on this side of the planet.

From my understanding, during the behind the scenes tours, they walk people along those service roads.

I have never been on one of these tours, but I have seen photos.

you can be on the service roads but not in the actual ride area

I love this video for the sheer fact that you won't see any like this anymore, it just shows how lax the the safety standards were back then. I mean theres people standing on the track and the ride wasn't even completely finshed, there were hand rails missing all over.

If you did this now OSHA would be all over you with fines.

I think this video was done during initial testing before it was ever opened to the public. The people walking around are probably park execs, construction workers and the designers seeing how it was running. It obviously is still "under construction" with it missing pieces like handrails. This may have been a video of one of the first ever complete course runs the Beast made as you can see how slow it is. Also, notice the double-helix isn't enclosed yet, the wood tunnel connecting the two concrete ones in the middle of the course isn't there and it barely makes it up the hill to the second lift hill. I would bet this maybe a video of one of the first 5 test runs of the coaster ever, if not the first ever complete circuit.

Even if they are park execs, that wouldn't fly today.

Those are all restricted areas, when I worked there as a mechanic we could not be in any restricted area while the ride was in operation even when under construction , except for a few exceptions(ride stuck)

I would say you've never worked around a brand new ride with reps from the Ride Manufacturers. lol I certainly didn't see anyone standing too close the the train and RC would never have let anyone be where they shouldn't have been before giving the "all clear."

I love this video for the sheer fact that you won't see any like this anymore, it just shows how lax the the safety standards were back then. I mean theres people standing on the track and the ride wasn't even completely finshed, there were hand rails missing all over.

If you did this now OSHA would be all over you with fines.

I think this video was done during initial testing before it was ever opened to the public. The people walking around are probably park execs, construction workers and the designers seeing how it was running. It obviously is still "under construction" with it missing pieces like handrails. This may have been a video of one of the first ever complete course runs the Beast made as you can see how slow it is. Also, notice the double-helix isn't enclosed yet, the wood tunnel connecting the two concrete ones in the middle of the course isn't there and it barely makes it up the hill to the second lift hill. I would bet this maybe a video of one of the first 5 test runs of the coaster ever, if not the first ever complete circuit.

Even if they are park execs, that wouldn't fly today.

Those are all restricted areas, when I worked there as a mechanic we could not be in any restricted area while the ride was in operation even when under construction , except for a few exceptions(ride stuck)

I would say you've never worked around a brand new ride with reps from the Ride Manufacturers. lol I certainly didn't see anyone standing too close the the train and RC would never have let anyone be where they shouldn't have been before giving the "all clear."

you would be correct, i mostly worked on the backlot coaster, so i guess things may be a little different for a new coaster.

Got a fun press release in from Kings Island today...

Kings Island’s Scrambler celebrates 45th anniversary season

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – It’s not the tallest or fastest ride at Kings Island, but it is one of the most recognized rides in the park.

The Scrambler is celebrating its 45th anniversary this year and has delighted generations of people since it made its debut in 1969 at Cincinnati’s Coney Island, and continues to put smiles on faces of guests old and young, whether they are experiencing it for the first time or reliving childhood memories.

Manufactured by the Eli Bridge Company of Jacksonville, IL, the Scrambler was among the rides transported from Coney Island to Kings Island for the park’s opening in 1972.

The classic midway attraction features cars that are mounted on counter-rotating arms, which produces strong accelerations and side-to-side movement, changing force and direction rapidly during the one-minute, 45-second ride length.

The Scrambler has given more than 22 million rides since its debut at Kings Island. Its record year was 1972, when 907,932 rides were given.

Kings Island is open this Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. The park is closed Sunday for a private event.

KIScrambler.thumb.jpg.7343e99f03e29704dae1e1ccbfb7d626.jpg

Scrambler45.thumb.jpg.feb1710f991a7525bba97f8f31694f9a.jpg

Yeah, they (KI Brass) said that when the Beast was finally finished, they celebrated with drinks and took their first night ride. It didn't have trim on the second hill into the helix. When they returned from that trip they were scared white and vowed to add trims the next morning thinking "What have we created?". It's on a video somewhere. Maybe the "History of King's Island? "

I always imagine what it would be like untrimmed into the helix when i ride it. It bet it pushes 90 mph.

Here's the video it's on, the CET (local PBS station) in their retrospective about KI. The Beast stuff starts around 3 mins and if you watch close, you can see a portion of video where the train is completely hauling through the mid course break run area.

http://www.cetconnect.org/video/riding-history-limits-rivertown

The whole series is here:

http://www.cetconnect.org/KingsIsland

Yeah, they (KI Brass) said that when the Beast was finally finished, they celebrated with drinks and took their first night ride. It didn't have trim on the second hill into the helix. When they returned from that trip they were scared white and vowed to add trims the next morning thinking "What have we created?". It's on a video somewhere. Maybe the "History of King's Island? "

I always imagine what it would be like untrimmed into the helix when i ride it. It bet it pushes 90 mph.

Here's the video it's on, the CET (local PBS station) in their retrospective about KI. The Beast stuff starts around 3 mins and if you watch close, you can see a portion of video where the train is completely hauling through the mid course break run area.

http://www.cetconnect.org/video/riding-history-limits-rivertown

The whole series is here:

http://www.cetconnect.org/KingsIsland

i remember watching that series

Why?

Oh well... it probably won't have any impact on the ride but it will probably slow down dispatches. This is a ridiculously stupid move by the park but they love seatbelts almost as much as they love trash cans so I'm not shocked I guess.

:lmao: Why?

Oh well... it probably won't have any impact on the ride but it will probably slow down dispatches. This is a ridiculously stupid move by the park but they love seatbelts almost as much as they love trash cans so I'm not shocked I guess.

Well, they did remove seatbelts from BLSC and Flight Deck (now Bat), however, those were both backup and not primary restraints. By the way, remember that SF put belts on Goliath, Titan, and YOLOCoaster. At least CF can probably operate it well with belts. And if the GP catch on, we might see a similar high capacity.

Edited by GigaG

5 minutes added to a 1 hour queue, big deal. It may be slightly inconvenient, but the ride will not be effected, so it's all good.

At least we know CF takes safety seriously. I see no need to complain.

I shake my head and proceed to bang it into the wall thinking about this seatbelt decision. We are adding an extra component that needs repairs and regular maintenance to a ride that has an excellent safety record from a company with a virtually spotless safety record. People will get used to the change and efficiency shouldn't be drastically reduced in the long term, but it's just another hassle for the maintenance and ride hosts.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who's unhappy with this. Maybe we were a bit too quick to dismiss the Intimidator rumors after all. I just hope this doesn't serve as a precedent for other chains--or other ride types, for that matter.

Except the fact the B&M has been building this type of ride seat belt free for 15 years and has not had a single incident with them.

Agree. I mean, are they now going to add seatbelts to every single ride that doesn't have them? Because a B&M would be the very last place to do so, in my opinion (and in the opinion of their safety record)

Except the fact the B&M has been building this type of ride seat belt free for 15 years and has not had a single incident with them.

It's not like it's OTS, just a simple seat belt. Just an extra safety precaution, the ride is still the same. It is not the end of the world. They could be adding trims as well...