TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Having worked in Ride Operations in a Management Position, I whole heartedly disagree. I've seen Brand New Ride Ops learn to Operate a Brand New Ride in an Hour and it's all about Training. From what others have Stated, the Opening Day Crew for Banshee was inadequately trained and deserve the critisism. If mediocrity is acceptable, then you are in the wrong business.

I'd say you're both right, speaking as an Op who's had good and bad trainings, and watched a lot of trainings with picky, bitchy, new rides. We can get efficient at some point in our time at the ride. If you've got good training and are comfortable at the ride moving quickly, then it doesn't take very long at all to be efficient. If you have bad training, you can still learn to be quick, it just might take longer. Now, I will say that I would expect the crew to be at Banshee (at least on opening day) to be returners who have shown they can move quickly and who hopefully have gotten past the "Guests are scary" phase, but it is still a new ride. SOP's were/are still most likely being finalized, and the Ops are probably still learning the quirks of the ride. You can do mock cycles all you want, putting people in the seats who don't regularly ride and dealing with how slow some people move, you're bound to slow down a little.

^ Good Points. At Lagoon SOPs were always established before the ride opened and usually based on SOPs from other Parks and those from the Ride Manufacturer. Employees Riding and Operating the rides before opening also were asked what they thought and what changes should be made. Let's hope that happens here and adjustments are made.

I just viewed the Beast POV and thank you, Robb, for making my moring start off on a great note! That is the best POV of the ride I've seen in years and you couldn't have asked for better weather to do so.

I wish KI would release a DVD with POV of all the coasters like what CP did a few years ago.

Unless an Opening Day crew consists of the vast majority of ride operators who worked the same ride in the previous season, it is outrageous to expect them to be incredibly efficient. It doesn't matter how many weeks of training or how many employee days there were to dress rehearse for Opening Day. The fact is, once you add in the general public who does not ride coasters as frequently as employees or enthusiasts, it's a whole different ballgame operating a coaster. It is an acquired skill to learn how to anticipate the unpredictable nature of the general public. I shouldn't forget to mention the pressure of having to manage a 5 hour line of testy guests who are all anxious for a free T-shirt. It changes how you approach to working a ride. You can't understand the feeling until you have felt it.

Yes, I got antsy watching The Beast of all coasters double-stacking, but in the end I bit my tongue because I had to realize it was Opening Day and likely the majority of those employees never worked The Beast before. After a few weeks of experience, we can discuss whether or not Kings Island has an efficiency problem. To be honest, I was very impressed with Kings Island's management of Opening Day. Almost every employee had a grasp on what they needed to do, and every single one of them was extremely friendly despite being overwhelmed by the crowds. To criticize them on Opening Day would be hypocritical to everything I have experienced and learned in my first days of being a Ride Operator.

And let's be real here folks, are there that many parks who can regularly avoid stacking when running full train capacity? Cedar Point might be one of the closest to achieving this, but last time I checked the majority of three train operation coasters will have a train briefly pause just outside of the station unless there is a "power hour" underway.

Having worked in Ride Operations in a Management Position, I whole heartedly disagree. I've seen Brand New Ride Ops learn to Operate a Brand New Ride in an Hour and it's all about Training. From what others have Stated, the Opening Day Crew for Banshee was inadequately trained and deserve the critisism. If mediocrity is acceptable, then you are in the wrong business.

How many other parks have you worked at other than Lagoon? Have you worked at any corporate owned parks? Like a Six Flags, Disney, or Universal?

The Beast was running well, for what it is. It was very smooth and ending helix was great when we rode on Saturday. However, I still can’t help but feel it is a relatively boring ride. Maybe when I ride it at night in a few months it will make it somewhat more interesting.

The Beast was running well, for what it is. It was very smooth and ending helix was great when we rode on Saturday. However, I still can’t help but feel it is a relatively boring ride. Maybe when I ride it at night in a few months it will make it somewhat more interesting.

At least they removed the brakes on the downhill plunge into the spiral from what I could tell.

I still felt the trims into the final helix if I recall correctly. As well as a few other parts of the ride.

that was my bad, I re-watched the video and they're there. I missed them the first time but still what an incredible ride, it makes you forget you are on a roller-coaster and more like a runaway train.

Lets try this again...

Final Banshee Construction Time Lapse Video

Final Video:

Here are some interesting facts:

* I captured images for 261 days, 20 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds Or 8 months, 18 days, 20 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds

* I captured 365,758 images that took up a total of 31.7GB disk space

* I created 27.2GB worth of video

Here is another interesting link; the first image I captured and an image captured from the last day: http://imgur.com/gallery/tDCIM

Thats some serious dedication.

the video is pretty sick too

Here is the POV of The Beast that we shot on Saturday morning. When we were done with it, and watching it in Don's office, he told me "This is the best footage of The Beast I have ever seen" and it's going to become their "official" POV video as well. I'm really pleased with it and even more happy with how well The Beast was running! I'll be honest, I've never been a huge fan of the ride before, but on this visit, WOW! And night rides... even more WOW!

Check it out...

The Beast is by far one of the best coasters in the park as well as in the US, as well as one of my favorites.

This is 100% the best POV i've ever watched, i've never seen one that looked so amazing.

Kudos to you Robb

Edited by mikeslagy

The Beast is by far one of the best coasters in the park as well as in the US, as well as one of my favorites.

I mean this with all the respect, but can you explain why you love it so much? I love plenty of rides that most find terrible so I am not trying to say I am right/wrong in any regard, but the Beast really is one ride that baffles me with its popularity... It is practically long straight away after straightaway with slight turns inbetween and trim brakes. So what do people find interesting about the ride (aside from the only decent part of the ride, the helix)?

To consider that ride one of the best in the US just blows my mind

I mean this with all the respect, but can you explain why you love it so much? I love plenty of rides that most find terrible so I am not trying to say I am right/wrong in any regard, but the Beast really is one ride that baffles me with its popularity... It is practically long straight away after straightaway with slight turns inbetween and trim brakes. So what do people find interesting about the ride (aside from the only decent part of the ride, the helix)?

To consider that ride one of the best in the US just blows my mind

Everyone has their own opinions. I find the ride okay. But I ride it just for the second lift, and tunnels, that's what makes the ride exciting for me. I love the speed it gains down the second lift.

I thought I would share a few photos I took to compare before/after Banshee:

330441598_image(3).jpeg.7233c1e2bf334f8885028da28fff8862.jpeg

Poor Son Of Beast! :(

295307575_image(4).jpeg.4c1eefa01cf78d9308080e78dd6363ca.jpeg

Panorama of the area where S.O.B. was

394997613_image(2).jpeg.03e2f1911e2cd13fb29b10630f7b9b08.jpeg

SO EMPTY!

2006131609_image(1).jpeg.690f07ca77caaadd6cf624798d956482.jpeg

Pieces of the track being put up

image.jpeg.1d73f9adf0e3ebad096211a264646457.jpeg

Collage I made to compare:)

1742098830_image(5).thumb.jpeg.283874877f54aaa2ec70467454b6f97d.jpeg

Banshee on opening day! (about a 4 hour line) *also notice the new colors of flight deck, now "The Bat" and Delirium*

Wow, thanks!!

Notice how Action Zone, just changed overall.

Action Zone really did need a MAJOR update!

It looks so amazing now! I like how they created a little dining area next to Banshee like they did next to GateKeeper!

Also, this is an example of a slow ride on Beast. Watch for the stairs to the right side of the second lift at 4:20. Usually the first or second car of the train reaches that landing before the chain takes over.

Yeah, for sure. We had to run the train empty while the camera was on it so I'm sure that was the reason.

I was wondering if it was a loaded train or not.

I am glad it is running as well, if not better than it did in 2013. I requested off on May 12th and May 19th so I can spend both days checking out the entire park. Beast is definitely on top of my list of things I want to "see for myself", so to speak.

I have been on Beast at times when the 3rd car would reach that landing on the right side before the chain engages. Which is why I don't understand why people say the Beast is slower than it used to be. You can watch older videos with skid brakes, and newer videos with mag brakes, and see it is virtually the same speed. As I said before, this video is a perfect example of a slower ride, but as Robb said, this train is empty, no guests.

From what I have read, everyone who was at the park this past weekend had a great time. That is all that matters in the long run.

What did everyone think of the new paint on The Bat (my home ride)? Doesn't it look great?!