TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

no woodie at BGE..why?

Busch Gardens Africa in Florida has a woodie but not Busch Gardens Europe in Virginia. Wonder why?

Over the years I have been told two totally different reasons.

1. The town of Williamsburg won't allow it. Ok, if that is the case they sure have no problem building other types of tall coasters. Why not a woodie?

2. Kings Dominon !!. Both BGE and KD opened up in the same year. 1975.

Part of a deal between the two was that KD would get the woodies while BGE would get only steel. OK..but KD has a few steel coasters now but still no woodie at BGE.

Wonder which is correct? Or if there is another reason why no woodie was ever built at Busch Gardens Europe?

Could the hilly terrain and river at BGE be factors? Interesting point, that, until now, I'd never really thought of.

You know, something like Kentucky Rumbler or Renegade would be cool there.

Conversely, BGE has Apollo's Chariot, a B&M hyper, while BGA does not. Of course that could change in the next couple years.

No woodie at BGE....(scratches head), now why didn't I notice that....(walks away mumbling into kitchen for some white raspberry tea).

I think it’s simple: they view the one wooden coaster they did build as pretty much a failure. This seems to fit their overall approach: if they try something new and they like it, then they build more at other parks. If they don't like it, they don't built more.

As enthusiasts, we may disapprove, but I think Busch was wood-shy from the beginning, and Gwazi just reinforced it. I really don’t see them building another one for a while, unless they see it as a significantly different animal.

I have no independent confirmation of this, but I think biggest factor here is noise. Residents of Kingmill on the James, a bunch of rather expensive homes also developed by Busch and located behind the park, will not put up with the rumbling and roaring of a wooden coaster.

That being said, it cracks me up that you can see Griffon from the Kingsmill golf course.

BGE B&Ms do not roar, they just Scream.

Like chuck said too noisy for those with their nose pointed skywards.

I think also they look at long term popularity too and Woodies just do not maintain that with the GP like Big smooth Steel.

JEFF

^That is a good point. Unless there is constant news surrounding a wooden coaster, their popularity diminishes a lot quicker than a unique steel roller coaster.

I have no independent confirmation of this, but I think biggest factor here is noise. Residents of Kingmill on the James, a bunch of rather expensive homes also developed by Busch and located behind the park, will not put up with the rumbling and roaring of a wooden coaster.

That being said, it cracks me up that you can see Griffon from the Kingsmill golf course.

Ahh, forgot about the nearby housing. Good point and I am now the wiser. So you can see Grif from the golf course. Let's see, sunny day, putting green, coaster in view...yeah, I could live with that.

And I love me some raspberry white tea!

Ain't it great? Good taste my friend!

Hell, at the rate they're going we probably won't get another major steel coaster until 2012-2015.

*Waits for someone to make "there isn't that much time" joke*

You'd think that with the development of Intamin woodies, most of these arguments are pointless. Of course, BGE could be looking at one and we wouldn't even know about it for a while.

^That is a good point. Unless there is constant news surrounding a wooden coaster, their popularity diminishes a lot quicker than a unique steel roller coaster.

Yeah, that's why unique steel coasters like Magic Mountain's Flashback, Kings Island's Bat, and Knott's Windjammer had such a long and happy life, while woodies like the Coney Cyclone, Kennywood Thunderbolt, and Kings Island Beast never have anyone in line for them.

A GOOD wood coaster will often be the longest line in the park, no matter how old the coaster is.

after visiting this park this weekend I can so see a Woddie being built here. It would be nicely done. I guess people do not want to listen to the noise a woodie makes, but it could be located somewhere where noise is at a minimum.

Also, I think that things with Gwazi has turned out "not good" that maybe BEC does not want to invest on Woodies anymore. I would like to see them try again.

I'm with others in saying that an Intamin prefab might work. From what people say they're not too noisy.

My current theory is that a B&M flyer will go up where DF used to be and they'll call it Drachen's Revenge. I guess we'll see after the reception of the flyer down in Sea World.

Why is Gwazi considered such a failure? Does it have that low a ridership? (Personally, I liked Gwazi, but I'm in a minority there and my woodie count is pretty small.)

I didn't find it all that terribly rough, compared to Roar at SFA or Hershey's Wildcat pre-MF trains. I was actually surprised by how smooth some of the elements were. I'd be bracing myself for agony at an upcoming fan turn and get no rattling at all.