TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

no woodie at BGE..why?

^That is a good point. Unless there is constant news surrounding a wooden coaster, their popularity diminishes a lot quicker than a unique steel roller coaster.

Yeah, that's why unique steel coasters like Magic Mountain's Flashback, Kings Island's Bat, and Knott's Windjammer had such a long and happy life, while woodies like the Coney Cyclone, Kennywood Thunderbolt, and Kings Island Beast never have anyone in line for them.

A GOOD wood coaster will often be the longest line in the park, no matter how old the coaster is.

Huh? Are you saying that the Cyclone, Thunderbolt, and Beast aren't good coasters? Hmmmm... I'm sure a lot of people would dispute that.

As others have mentioned, I feel a woodie at BGE would just seem out of place.

Huh? Are you saying that the Cyclone, Thunderbolt, and Beast aren't good coasters? Hmmmm... I'm sure a lot of people would dispute that.

As others have mentioned, I feel a woodie at BGE would just seem out of place.

Did you even read his post? His point was that wooden coaster can be more popular and last longer than steel coasters.

I doubt Kingsmill would really enjoy the noise from a woodie anyway....

I'm with others in saying that an Intamin prefab might work. From what people say they're not too noisy.

Not too noisy? Didn't Balder have to get giant walls put up to reduce the horrible noise it was making? I'm pretty sure prefabs scream loudly and obnoxiously anytime airtime is present, often referred to as the Intamin fart.

I'm with others in saying that an Intamin prefab might work. From what people say they're not too noisy.

Not too noisy? Didn't Balder have to get giant walls put up to reduce the horrible noise it was making? I'm pretty sure prefabs scream loudly and obnoxiously anytime airtime is present, often referred to as the Intamin fart.

I don't know. I thought they were quieter than your average woodie. I've never ridden one so I could be greatly misinformed.

An intamin pre-fab would be spectacular at BGE and I hope it's only a matter of time rather than a matter of "if" - but that's only wishful thinking. There are ton of places in the park where a wood coaster would fit in great, and you know Busch would do a good job at incorporating it into the park. Intamin's use polyurethane wheels and therefore don't make nearly as much noise.

Anything other than an Intamin pre-fab would concern me. Gwazi is terrible compared to what it used to be, and I wouldn't have much confidence in any wooden coaster that didn't also come with a full-time Knoebel's maintenance crew.

• Like 1

Yeah, after Pompeii, it's a long shot that BGE will get an Intamin, although I'll be more than glad to welcome an Intamin fart.

I actually got a chance to meet with Larry Giles, the park's head of engineering, last year and he even said Busch (as a compay) doesn't really like working with Intamin, partly due to their safety record and not so hot reliability.

^What happened with Escape from Pompeii?

I just think Busch has a good relationship with B&M, so they will continue to buy their products.

I was told that it originally had very many problems with maintenance, and still does today.

I think that Intamin has had a much better track record with maintenance for their woodies than their steel coasters. T-Express seemed to open without any trouble, and I don't remember El Toro having any major problems.

As for noise, I remember El Toro being fairly quite compared to other wooden coasters.

I just think Busch has a good relationship with B&M, so they will continue to buy their products.

But B&M doesn't make wooden coasters, so if Busch wanted a woodie, it wouldn't matter that they buy mainly B&M. I highly doubt that if Busch bought an Intamin woodie that their relationship with B&M would suffer. You have to remember that B&M wants Busch's business, not the other way around.

Okay, I guess I should add my own two cents into this discussion.

"Er, what was what we were discussing?"

Why isn't there any wooden coasters inside Busch Gardens Europe?

Let's face it: all the coasters that Busch Gardens Europe have or once had were all steel coasters. Why not put a woodie in there?

"Are you kidding? Busch Gardens Europe got some killer thriller coasters inside their park. What kind of woodie coaster could they add that would be more thrilling than the Griffon, Apollo's Chariot, or even the Loch Ness Monster?"

Well, that's my opinion anyway. I believe that Busch Gardens doesn't need any woodies.

^You should ride El Toro. It is more thrilling than any of those rides. Just amazing (and that's saying something, because BGE has simply awesome coasters). I'm not trying to sound like an El Toro fanboy, but it is the best coaster I've been on.

"Are you kidding? Busch Gardens Europe got some killer thriller coasters inside their park. What kind of woodie coaster could they add that would be more thrilling than the Griffon, Apollo's Chariot, or even the Loch Ness Monster?"

Well, that's my opinion anyway. I believe that Busch Gardens doesn't need any woodies.

I can name quite a few wood coasters that I enjoy more than Apollo and Loch Ness (and Alpie/Big Bad Wolf). Can't speak for Griffon as I haven't ridden it.

I'd love to see something like Legend, Rampage, or Thunderhead put into the park, and I think it would fit perfectly. I love BGE and it's atmosphere but the lack of wood kind of held it back for me.

I think Gwazi's issues (haven't ridden it, but from what I've read here) come from it not having the right trains as well as the high humidity in that area. While Willamsburg gets hot, I don't think it's quite the same as central Florida, so I think a traditional wood coaster would work for the most part.

Now, I don't remember Rumbler being any more noisy than say, an Arrow lift hill, so I can't see why noise would be an issue especially if the ride was in the center of the park. Also, new GCIs are pretty maint free from what I've seen so I think that would be a good route to go (the problem is they've seen issues with Gwazi, so I don't know if they'd go back or not).

Seriously though, every time I think about this park, I think about how it should have a Thunderhead type thing somewhere. It really needs it in my opinion.

But B&M doesn't make wooden coasters, so if Busch wanted a woodie, it wouldn't matter that they buy mainly B&M.

I seem to recall that SFMM has some B&M wooden coaster trains.

I think Gwazi's issues (haven't ridden it, but from what I've read here) come from it not having the right trains as well as the high humidity in that area. While Willamsburg gets hot, I don't think it's quite the same as central Florida, so I think a traditional wood coaster would work for the most part.

Williamsburg is part of the Hampton Roads, VA metro area which also includes Norfolk and Hampton as well and both of those cities sported woodies for years ( Ocean View and Buckroe ) so weather wouldn't be an issue if BGE diecided to get a woodie. Beisdes the weather in Williamsburg I don't think is really that much different up in Doswell, VA where KD is located.