TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Horrible Park Operations

Well, my homepark has some horrid park operations, including one Maurer Söhne spinner that they sometimes just randomly only load the cars to have three people. Then this one other ride which is a ride that has auto-close systems in, they instead of autoclosing and then locking them, they actually go around the whole ride closing the restraints, then around the ride just to check the locks again!

What is the park that you refering to? Some parks are just cautious when it comes to restrains but I can understand why that could get annoying, but I don't see what is wrong with how they are loading the Maurer Spinning coaster if the park isn't busy or if there are groups in line that wish to ride together.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my homepark has some horrid park operations, including one Maurer Söhne spinner that they sometimes just randomly only load the cars to have three people. Then this one other ride which is a ride that has auto-close systems in, they instead of autoclosing and then locking them, they actually go around the whole ride closing the restraints, then around the ride just to check the locks again!

I don't get why having 3 people per car in a 4 person spinner is bad since it makes the ride tend to be more aggressive in the spinning. It only makes sense if its a large park and the ride pulls a huge line.

Six Flags over Georgia has the worst value for your buck on food! $10 for a crappy small hamburger and i counted 5 fries. I also dislike their system of creating artificially long lines. If a ride becomes a "Walk-On" they run it twice before reloading the ride (They did however take the time to let people off between rides but wouldn't load). Yes this maybe fun for the people on it but they continue this until it has about a 45 min wait. Last time I went, it was a cloudy weekday. They did this for Goliath and didn't return it to normal until the line had a 45 min wait. They also did this fo Ninja and Batman. I would have enjoyed my day more if they didn't do this. The worse part was that they did allow for time to unload those that wanted to unload but would not allow to reload.

I also dislike how every park I have been to only runs one train on coasters until the line picks up. Why not run all trains and keep the lines short! I know it probably has to do with money, wear and tear on the carts, and the illusion the park is busier but still. This is really just a pet peeve of mine and not a "horrible operation"

• 8 months later...

Busch Gardens Tampa! Great park, one of my favorites, but some of the ride operations there are simply disgusting! Had I not found a ride operator and told her I was a single rider, they would have dispatched a Cheetah Hunt train with an empty seat in the FRONT ROW!!! That and how long it took them to get a single Scorpion train out. We were there on a less crowded day so it wasn't a huge problem, but had we gone on a weekend I would've been really mad.

Busch Gardens Tampa! Great park, one of my favorites, but some of the ride operations there are simply disgusting! Had I not found a ride operator and told her I was a single rider, they would have dispatched a Cheetah Hunt train with an empty seat in the FRONT ROW!!! That and how long it took them to get a single Scorpion train out. We were there on a less crowded day so it wasn't a huge problem, but had we gone on a weekend I would've been really mad.

I would agree with the BGT operations. I worked for BGW and was amazed how different the two parks operate and thought it was just a 'bad' day for BGT. I have noticed that the park (BGT) does have some good days and some days are not so good. Operational budgets will certainly have an effect on future operations as they find ways to save money.

^beatle11, I agree wholeheartedly.

It was slightly embarrassing how such little precipitation could shut so much down. I couldn't help but apologize and sympathize to frustrated guests when we had certain types of weather downtime in my short time working there, I really had no logical backing behind some of the strictness of the rain policy. I have worked with and seen many similar rides run in the same, and often worse, conditions. Also, the milking of the "we are on a peninsula on Lake Erie" excuse was a pretty sad explanation for the policies. CP's weather may change quickly, but they do not experience anything more extreme than other parks in that region. Imagine the capacity numbers at CP if the weather policy wasn't so strict...

Mt Olympus and Six Flags America are easily the worst I've experienced. Cedar Point is also frustrating because their ops are generally great, until it you get one drop of rain and everything shuts down.

Six Flags America is the worst I've encountered (although the ride ops on Kennywood's Black Widow come in a close second). A station wait for Joker's Jinx turned into half an hour, ditto for Superman. At least their ride ops made up for it by being entertaining, but still a pretty poor effort.

In Cedar Point's defense, they did seem to be pretty good at getting the rides up and running again quickly after the rain had passed. But the wind/rain threshold does seem quite low compared to other parks.

10 minute cycles on Arkham Asylum at Dreamworld.

I'm not sure if you mean Arkham Asylum at Movie World or Cyclone at Dreamworld, as operations on both rides are equally terrible.

Gold Coast parks definitely know how to turn a short queue into a long wait.

Cyclone's unique "the theming broke so we swapped the exit and entry" approach has always confused me. And since both exit and entry intersect they have to have a ride op let you through one group at a time - awful station design.

Oops, yes I meant Movieworld. Though I probably should've mentioned Dreamworld as all of their coasters are low capacity, plus Cyclone takes about 5 minutes to inch its way back into the station, are all Arrow loopers like that?

Movieworld's operations are fairly good on the most part. I've seen them run three trains on Superman Escape which was very good. I also appreciate that they got an El Loco with increased capacity.

So true. Gold Coast parks operations are just awful. Especially the exit intersecting the entrance on Cyclone and the fact that pretty well every coaster only has 1 train operations! That always pissed me off. It would usually take 5-10 mins to dispatch the ONE AND ONLY train operating. The worst was probably Batwing Spaceshot though. I remember there were two operators running it when I was there last year. One was operating the controls while the other was helping load people onto the ride. The worst bit was that he'd wait until the ride finished its cycle before coming over to the queue and allocating seats for the next 14 people waiting. He should have been sorting this out during the ride's cycle so that the next load of riders could go straight on without having to wait to be alloacted a seat. It was painfully slow, but that's the same with all Gold Coast Parks!

• 2 months later...

Oh dear God! I just arrived from Happy Valley Shanghai (my first chinese park) and now I understand all TPR community when you complain about chinese park operations...

Everything was a NOSENSE! I got REALLY nervous... not a "Happy" experience at all. The Dive Coaster (Sic.) luckily was operating two trains. Both waiting in the station one after another. The Wooden Coaster (Sic.) had a five people crew (one for taking the onride picture with a reflex camera) and they were dispatching the train every 10 or 7 minutes (the best of the 9 trains I waited = around 90 minutes waiting for 10 dispatches). Crazy.

The weirdest thing is how they TOTALLY emptied the stations before allowing the next group to go in the station, then wait in the doors to open, then go in the trains. They even don't allow you to leave the station until everybody has taken their stuff form the booths! You have to wait to leave!

OMG I GOT VEEERY NERVOUS TODAY! Crazy operations, at least, in (un)Happy Valley Shanghai.

(Sorry if I made some mistake with my English. I'm spanish and I'm very nervous!)

• 1 month later...

I don't believe I've been to a park with overall bad ride operations, but there was this one thing that happened at SeaWorld Orlando in early December a few years ago. When I got there, Kraken was only running one train. I was okay with that for the time because it was early in the morning and the crowds were light. However, later in the afternoon, it got a bit busier, and because Kraken was still running one train, it had an 85 minute wait time. That was a bit crazy because before that, I had never seen a line for Kraken longer than 25 minutes, even on a busy summer day. They didn't put on the second train until after sunset, and then it went back to being a walk-on. Even though Kraken is one of my all-time favorite coasters, that one memory will not sit well with me.

Mt Olympus. Do I need to even say why?

Mt. Olympus is the only park I've been to that makes me never want to go again. Seriously, all of their rides are one train operations. That means that on rides like Hades, you end up waiting 5 minutes for a new batch of riders to get on. It's the worst.