TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^And I can confirm the same thing from our Q&A at East Coast Bash. I'm not really sure why people keep fighting for two separate lines, because Hershey has constantly said that there will be one single line.

My bad. I haven't payed attention to this thread as much as I should have.

But still, This ride looks awesome.

^You'll line up like a normal coaster, four people will walk through the air gates and they'll take their seats. Just like any four-across coaster. So you just have to battle it out with your friends for who gets which seat!

Exactly. If Skyrush operates like Furius Baco (nearly identical sitting) there will be ONE gate per row. It's simple yet effective.

I honestly don't see where this argument is coming from about people jockeying for outside/inside seats.

In most cases, people won't give a crap about it- as they haven't about B&M Inverteds, or for that matter, floorless coasters. In all reality, the only people who will be fighting over the edge seats are enthusiasts who feel entitled to them- and the GP won't care at all.

Single row boarding will work just fine in every way- like it has for many other coasters before SkyRush.

^Fully agree with you. It might be a little different, only because the center seats are floored while the outer seats are specifically marketed as being "winged." So more people will probably think "Hey, I want the wing!" on here than they do on the inverts and the floorless coasters, because those seats actually are all pretty equivalent. However, that's not going to cause a problem, and if it does then I think we all need to reevaluate what's actually important when we spend a day at the parks.

The ride is looking better and better by the day and I would be suprised if it doesn't end up in my top-5. Seems like another Intamin winner and I loved the compact area the park chose for it, it just adds to the rides personality. Speaking of that lack of space, did we ever figure out how they are running the cable back to the station since they can't do a trench like 305 has?

I honestly don't see where this argument is coming from about people jockeying for outside/inside seats.

In most cases, people won't give a crap about it- as they haven't about B&M Inverteds, or for that matter, floorless coasters. In all reality, the only people who will be fighting over the edge seats are enthusiasts who feel entitled to them- and the GP won't care at all.

Just curious, but have you ever worked in theme park operations? Because I'm pretty sure that's where this argument is coming from.

Sure, coaster enthusiasts can be annoying, but at least for the most part they understand enough not to slow down the efficiency of an attraction. It's the type of people that don't frequent theme parks that tend to get to a coaster, try to trade seats at the last minute, don't understand ride rules, etc etc. I can totally see a bunch of people trying to trade around seats after the airgates open, it's a common occurrence on many coasters, and I think with this ride's seating it may happen more often.

Enthusiasts can act like spoiled know-it-alls, but in my experience they're usually the last people to slow down dispatch times.

Just curious, but have you ever worked in theme park operations? Because I'm pretty sure that's where this argument is coming from.

Sure, coaster enthusiasts can be annoying, but at least for the most part they understand enough not to slow down the efficiency of an attraction. It's the type of people that don't frequent theme parks that tend to get to a coaster, try to trade seats at the last minute, don't understand ride rules, etc etc. I can totally see a bunch of people trying to trade around seats after the airgates open, it's a common occurrence on many coasters, and I think with this ride's seating it may happen more often.

Enthusiasts can act like spoiled know-it-alls, but in my experience they're usually the last people to slow down dispatch times.

My theories are based upon watching what happens in a general day in a park.

For the most part, you're right- about guests not paying attention to the rules, etc. But of all the arguments over the seating/boarding I've seen here, it's the enthusiasts who are raising the capacity argument- Not HP, Not Intamin AG, but the people who will be gunning for the edge seats. If a park such as HersheyPark thought there would be loading issues with the design being potentially slower, I think they'd have been the first ones to change their requested design with Intamin A.G.

In the end, think about it: Everybody has been arguing that "Well, people will try for the edge seats, etc. and that will slow it down." Now look at rides with a similar 4x seating arrangements. Not once in my days at HersheyPark- or for that matter any other major park- have I seen the GP say "Well, I need to be in the outside seats." The same goes for floorless coasters, and to a lesser extent, B&M's 'classic' Hypercoasters. It's not an issue to the GP- and I've yet to see a case where it is.

Yet, for some reason, the enthusiasts DO seem to see it as an issue- and it's really not. HersheyPark has done an outstanding job of ensuring that rides there fit properly- but also move people as quickly as possible based upon the design capacities of the rides.

Thus my statement: Boarding will be the same as any other 4x coaster for SkyRush as it is for Great Bear.

Not once in my days at HersheyPark- or for that matter any other major park- have I seen the GP say "Well, I need to be in the outside seats." The same goes for floorless coasters, and to a lesser extent, B&M's 'classic' Hypercoasters. It's not an issue to the GP- and I've yet to see a case where it is.

Thing is, though, that those rides all offer basically the same experience in any row. Of course the outside seats offer a slight advantage, but that's beside the point. A big aspect of this ride's marketing is the outside winged seats, which unlike the inner seats are floorless and ride along the "outside" of the track. Therefor, moreso than those other rides, I see people making a bigger fuss over who gets what seat.

In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt it will cause any significant issues once Skyrush opens. Most people will just want to get on the ride, and I'd venture to guess most groups will have already figured out who rides in what seat before the air gates even open.

^^I'm not saying that Hersheypark doesn't know what they're doing or that the seating aspect is going to significantly impact the ride's capacity. I just think that the ride operators are going to be seriously annoyed with lots of GP groups waiting till the last second and then realizing "OMG, the seats are different... I want to sit over here". I'm sure that, from time to time, seat switching will lead to stacking and not hitting the optimal dispatch times. This happens frequently on any theme park attraction, but I'd be willing to bet it will happen more often on SkyRush due to the differences in seating.

I mean honestly, I see all the time people trying to switch seats for stupid things like "Oh I want to sit next to this person instead" or "I do/don't want to sit on the outside and I'm just now thinking about this". I just see different seats as another reason to add to the list of things that get "non-park people" all thrown off at the last second.

I don't think by any stretch that it's going to significantly impact capacity, but it definitely can be something that I'd simply classify as an "operational headache".

Edited by Swimace

There's also the fact that not everyone wants to sit on the wing seats. I've told a few friends about the winged seats, and showed a few of them the concept art, and pretty much all of them are terrified of the idea of hanging out on the edge like that. It'll just sort itself out. And if for whatever reason i doesn't, HP will figure out pretty quick a way to make it work. PRE-POST EDIT: This could probably be as simple as a sign saying "Hey guys, the seats are different, you might wanna think about this before you sit down."

I think we as coaster enthusiasts are overestimating the impact of the winged seats. Let's remember, this is not a novelty or an experience you can't get anywhere else. Go ride any B&M dive machine, X2, heck any outer seat on a floorless coaster is practically "winged". It's new to Intamin, but not new to the world.

^That may be true, but you could also say that what will draw most people in will be the "new" factor. They'll be excited just to experience something shiny and new. The winged seats will be a cool afterthought to the average park-goer, IMO. Enthusiasts will drool over them, but I don't see it causing the kind of problems some are predicting.

On an unrelated note, Intamin... please, oh please bring your talents to Worlds of Fun next year.

^^^I think it will be the opposite. SheiKra isn't advertised to show off its wide trains, it is advertised to show off how big it is, and that it goes straight down. I've gone on SheiKra probably eight times, and I've never heard anyone talking about how they are out off the sides of the track. I hear many more people talking about how the ride stops at the top. And remember, how many GP'ers in Pennsylvania and NYC know of SFMM or BGA? (They might know BGE, but I'm not sure many of them will make the connection that Skyrush is similar in that manner.) When I thought that B:TE was going to be built at DL, I was talking to my non enthusiast friends about it, and most of them thought that the fact that you stood up on the roller coaster was the craziest thing in the world.

^^^I think it will be the opposite. SheiKra isn't advertised to show off its wide trains, it is advertised to show off how big it is, and that it goes straight down.

Griffon had a major advertising campaign about their new floorless trains, although that is ever so slightly outside your 5 hr radius. Closer in, Six Flags Great Adventure has Medusa/Bizarro, which features two floorless seats in each row that are outside the track, and two seats that are over the track, and is only 2.5 hrs away. Besides, we haven't seen any real advertising aimed at the GP yet, just press releases.

So Skyrush has me making my first trip to Hershey this spring/summer. I've been wanting to make it to this park for years now but this just finally pushed things over the top for me. I really think I'm just as excited about this being only a few hours away as I am having Leviathan in my backyard. Good thing I love B&M and Intamin equally for such different reasons.

Today has gotten so much better!

And in regard to the the padding that may or may not be there, those don't look particularly painful to me. I've never really had a problem on Intamin restraints, not even when stapled on El Toro (but that's probably because the adrenaline makes me forget really quickly (as I'm sure Skyrush will do too (this is a lot of parentheses!!!))).

Edited by UrbanLegend